Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Worried about the... (HUGE BOOK SPOILER)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 30 2013, 3:56am

Post #26 of 32 (497 views)
Shortcut
me too. [In reply to] Can't Post

He seems like a really sweet man.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 30 2013, 10:39am

Post #27 of 32 (420 views)
Shortcut
Yes, he does // [In reply to] Can't Post

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Sep 30 2013, 2:58pm

Post #28 of 32 (390 views)
Shortcut
This is utterly adorable. [In reply to] Can't Post

I remembered reading about Samantha's visit to the set and her meeting several of the actors, and having a wonderful time there! She uses the tag "elvenbutterflies".

So I googled and found the letter:
*Link removed, the site no longer exists*

WARNING: VERY MAJOR SPOILERS THEREIN. (I love the stationery he used!)

The scene was filmed the day he received her letter to him - she'd written letters to all the cast - but I don't know if that was the same day as her visit.

It's the most heart-melting and heart-breaking thing I've in a long while. Smile Evil Pardon me while I go cry happy/sad tears...

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

(This post was edited by dernwyn on May 31 2014, 10:54am)

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 30 2013, 4:18pm

Post #29 of 32 (380 views)
Shortcut
Agreed Magpie (and Dormouse) [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
He seems like a really sweet man.

It seems quite a nice bunch of people working together. It shouldn't impact my feeling for the work itself maybe...but it does. Angelic

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Sep 30 2013, 5:10pm

Post #30 of 32 (362 views)
Shortcut
I don't see why it shouldn't [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It shouldn't impact my feeling for the work itself maybe...but it does.

I certainly feel better about something made by someone that I like than someone who I don't. Maybe it shouldn't be the determining factor, but I don't see why it should not have some impact.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 30 2013, 7:24pm

Post #31 of 32 (309 views)
Shortcut
True ! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To
It shouldn't impact my feeling for the work itself maybe...but it does.

I certainly feel better about something made by someone that I like than someone who I don't. Maybe it shouldn't be the determining factor, but I don't see why it should not have some impact.

Angelic

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

bborchar
Rohan

Oct 1 2013, 3:26am

Post #32 of 32 (298 views)
Shortcut
This, this and more this... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It's a long way off, we have a whole other film to watch and discuss our way through yet, and I'm at a complete loss as to why you should want to raise it, or raise it in this way, just now. What purpose does it serve, looking for things that might not appeal to you, trying to chew over what Peter Jackson might get 'wrong' (for you) fifteen months in advance?

The climax of 'There and Back Again' will be different. Different from Boromir's death, or Gandalf, or King Kong. Or from the moment which I think you're referring to in RotK - not, in fact, the ending, but the moment after Barad Dur implodes and Sauron's armies scatter. Peter Jackson had to convey something very complicated there. Not simply grief, but the awful turning point from elation - when the Companions knew that Frodo had succeeded - to the despairing realisation that he and Sam were caught in the middle of all that turmoil, if they weren't already dead. and all that in a few seconds, without words. I thought it was very well done. You thought it was cheesy. OK, there's nothing anyone can do about that, but if I were you, I'd try to focus more on the scenes PJ has done in a way that you do like. Why would you assume that the climax of TABA won't be like that, or better?

And maybe try to think a bit less of 'I want', 'the last thing I want to see' and be ready to engage with what is. (I'm not meaning just you, but all the people in here who seem to be worrying that this or that or the other scene won't be done the 'right' way.) Why not try to let go and let the film be what it is? Let Peter Jackson tell you the story in whatever way he wants to do it, and only afterwards decide which bits worked for you and which didn't?

I don't get it, myself. I've barely started to think about the next movie (and really only in terms of 'Okay, I have all of this other stuff to do and somehow fit in watching a movie that week' terms). I just can't fathom worrying about what a filmmaker may or may not do in a movie that is sooooo far away...and even then, why worry at all? It's a movie. It's not worth getting upset over- really, it's not. I've yet to find a book, movie, play, piece of music, etc, to get upset over. The point is that they entertain you...if they don't entertain you, don't waste your time with them.

"The thrill of the chase, the blood pumping through your veins...just the two of us against the rest of the world!" ~ Sherlock

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.