Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
What's Next?

Elskidor
Rohan

Sep 28 2013, 10:13pm

Post #1 of 24 (1000 views)
Shortcut
What's Next? Can't Post

Do you think we will get more Tolkien movies after The Hobbit trilogy? Will PJ get the green light for more tales, and would he want to?

flameofudun
Lorien

Sep 28 2013, 10:22pm

Post #2 of 24 (633 views)
Shortcut
I think we will see [In reply to] Can't Post

The silmarillion someday, though it possibly be as late as 2040! That's when the rights are open for the silmarillion.

''We are very dangerous over short distances''

-Gimli

Elskidor
Rohan

Sep 28 2013, 10:33pm

Post #3 of 24 (569 views)
Shortcut
I didn't know the rights to that were closed [In reply to] Can't Post

Had no idea about that. Well maybe Balin's tale into Moria then. Or some side story that could make a stand alone tale. Too bad Saruman's return to the Shire can't be told via film.

Voronw_the_Faithful
Valinor

Sep 28 2013, 10:34pm

Post #4 of 24 (565 views)
Shortcut
Not likely [In reply to] Can't Post

The Silmarillion will likely not enter the public domain until 70 years after Christopher Tolkien's death, as he likely would be considered a "co-author" for copyright purposes.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Arannir
Valinor

Sep 28 2013, 10:48pm

Post #5 of 24 (537 views)
Shortcut
UNlikely. [In reply to] Can't Post

Others have said why.

But I still think "The Children of Hurin" would make a pretty good movie.

A dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of mens imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold. J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

Thranderz
Rohan

Sep 28 2013, 11:15pm

Post #6 of 24 (546 views)
Shortcut
Sadly [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think we'll any more Tolkien films in our lifetime unless they re-make the current ones. Frown

I simply walked into Mordor.

TITANICXB

Sep 29 2013, 8:49am

Post #7 of 24 (425 views)
Shortcut
It's probably not a bad thing that we won't get anymore [In reply to] Can't Post

I hate to be negative nancy here, but an Unexpected Journey wasn't the best adaption...it wasn't anywhere near the level that LOTR Trilogy was on..

I don't really want PJ to make any more movies lol. IMO, he went the way of George Lucas...

Am I going to be flamed here for saying that?

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 29 2013, 10:18am

Post #8 of 24 (394 views)
Shortcut
Flamed? No, did you want to be? TORn's a polite place.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Some will disagree with you. Some will agree But you won't suffer the fate of your namesake, by fire or water! Wink

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Sep 29 2013, 12:19pm

Post #9 of 24 (370 views)
Shortcut
The Saul Zaentz Company only has film rights to 'TH' and 'LotR' [In reply to] Can't Post

As long as the Tolkien Estate refuses to sell film rights to any of Prof. Tolkien's other works we can only look forward to future remakes of The Hobbit and/or The Lord of the Rings or original movies derived solely from those works (including the LotR Appendices).

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Lio
Lorien

Sep 29 2013, 8:16pm

Post #10 of 24 (345 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't count on anything anytime soon [In reply to] Can't Post

For reasons that have already been pointed out by other in this thread, I don't think we'll be getting any more Tolkien movies soon. And even if we were, I fairly sure PJ will be done with Middle-earth after these films. I think the best we can hope for is remakes, but the original trilogy is so iconic that I doubt anyone would want to give it a go soon. Maybe if it's in a completely format (TV series, animation), but I don't know. Frown

Dwalin Balin Kili Fili Dori Nori Ori Oin Gloin Bifur Bofur Bombur Thorin

Orcs are mammals!

"Don't laugh at the Dwarves because they will mess you up." Dean O'Gorman (Fili)

Want to chat? AIM me at Yami Liokaiser!

Elskidor
Rohan

Sep 29 2013, 8:39pm

Post #11 of 24 (332 views)
Shortcut
TV Series [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd go for a TV series. If done right, they could squeeze a season or 2 out of it. Maybe more.

malickfan
Gondor

Sep 29 2013, 8:59pm

Post #12 of 24 (327 views)
Shortcut
Hopefully not [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm known for having very strong opinion's on the other books being adapted so I won't bore everyone again, but judging by the following interview by Christopher Tolkien we discussed on the forum last year the Tolkien estate don't seem very open to the idea or hassle of further adaptions (Though with the silmarillion it would basically be a fan fiction rewrite to sell it at the cinema):

http://newboards.theonering.net/...%20Interview;#464709

Of course Christopher dosen't speak for the whole family but as I understand, his son Adam, and likely sucessor in waiting to his seat on the esate shares similar views.

It dosen't need to happen, and personally I don't want it to.

I don't have much to say.

Elizabeth
Valinor

Sep 30 2013, 12:18am

Post #13 of 24 (308 views)
Shortcut
Three seasons! [In reply to] Can't Post

One for each book! I could go for that.

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Sep 30 2013, 8:50am

Post #14 of 24 (310 views)
Shortcut
I think the most likely follow-up (some Hobbit book and film spoilers) - [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you think we will get more Tolkien movies after The Hobbit trilogy? Will PJ get the green light for more tales, and would he want to?

- would be some version of the 'War in the North'.

It would be both a sequel to the Hobbit Trilogy and a 'sidequel' to the Lord of the Rings movies. I can't see the studios passing up such a potential moneymaker.

Obviously, this is going to require a lot of 'filler-material', but if mainstream audiences are happy with the original material in the Hobbit Trilogy, they may be ready to return to Middle-Earth, once again.

Going by what they did with Legolas, I'd expect the film-makers to take advantage of the popularity of the characters of Thranduil, Thorin's companions, and perhaps even Radagast, Tauriel and Dain, if they're around, while the actors are still available. (Recasting can be tricky. People have gotten used to the two (so far) versions of Bilbo, but there is only ONE Gandalf).

I imagine that there's plenty of unused material from the current two Middle-Earth Trilogies that would be suitable for a follow-up. Personally I'd like to see a 'hidden' Dnedain fortress. Aragorn's 'dangerous' people seem to have been pretty much side-lined, so far.

There is one part at the end of the Hobbit novel that I could see as a potential movie hook. It was the part where Orcrist was placed on Thorin's tomb (That would definitely give audiences a 'To be continued' vibe.).

---------------------------------------

Apart from the War in the North, I could easily see some spin-off movies set during other times in Middle-Earths's history.

Part of the reason for the huge budgets of the current M-E movies was due to the necessity of adapting the source material. A decent original script movie could work with a lower budget. They just have to get writers with a a talent for writing historical epics and set them loose on Middle-Earth.
-----------------------------------------------------------

From the makers of 'The Lord of the Rings' comes the sequel to Peter Jackson's Hobbit Trilogy -
'The War in the North, Part I : The Sword in the Tomb'.

(This post was edited by Hanzkaz on Sep 30 2013, 8:53am)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Sep 30 2013, 4:05pm

Post #15 of 24 (262 views)
Shortcut
"Did you want to be?" :-DDD // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 30 2013, 10:30pm

Post #16 of 24 (243 views)
Shortcut
I'll never say never... [In reply to] Can't Post

but unless there are other stories done with as much care, authenticity, look, feel, sound and reverence as these original films, don't bother. ;)

HOWEVER, Andy Serkis is proving to be very adept at maintaining Peter's sensibilities and look when filming... as well as Christian Rivers, Philippa Boyens... so many of those who have walked this walk already who I would trust with continuing the work. Time will tell ;)

5th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013
1st draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Hamfast of Gamwich
Rivendell

Sep 30 2013, 10:30pm

Post #17 of 24 (239 views)
Shortcut
Children of Hurin [In reply to] Can't Post

is really downbeat for a Hollywood movie. It'd be interesting to see how many changes were made (and how annoyed everyone would get).

"Durin's Heir you may be, but even with one eye you should see clearer. If this is victory, then our hands are too small to hold it. We will not enter Khazad-dum. You will not enter Khazad-dum. Beyond the shadow of the gate it waits for you still: Durins Bane. The world must change and some other power than ours must come before Durins Folk walk again in Moria.

Elizabeth
Valinor

Oct 1 2013, 12:52am

Post #18 of 24 (246 views)
Shortcut
There's a total of 4 paragraphs... [In reply to] Can't Post

...on the War in the North. Not much to go on, so we'd be looking at all new material. Frankly, I haven't been impressed with Jackson's additions, such as all the nonsensical "Arwen is dying" material, so I'd rather pass.

No worries, though, about Gandalf's availability, as he was pretty thoroughly occupied before, during, and after the Black Gate confrontation, so wouldn't be in a War in the North movie.

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Oct 1 2013, 8:19am

Post #19 of 24 (223 views)
Shortcut
If the 'new' material - [In reply to] Can't Post

haven't been impressed with Jackson's additions, such as all the nonsensical "Arwen is dying" material, so I'd rather pass.

No worries, though, about Gandalf's availability, as he was pretty thoroughly occupied before, during, and after the Black Gate confrontation, so wouldn't be in a War in the North movie.

- is popular with mainstream audiences (meaning the ones who aren't necessarily fans of the books), that may be enough to persuade the studios to go on another trip to Middle-Earth.

As for the War in the North cast, I'd expect more of the 'newer' Middle-Earth characters (the ones introduced in the Hobbit Trilogy) than the LOTR 'old guard', to play a part.
We should probably still expect Elrond and Galadriel (and hopefully Celeborn) to be present, but I'd be curious to see if they could include a cameo of Gandalf showing what he'd been up to between his encounter with the Balrog and his appearance at Fangorn.

From the makers of 'The Lord of the Rings' comes the sequel to Peter Jackson's Hobbit Trilogy -
'The War in the North, Part I : The Sword in the Tomb'.

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 1 2013, 6:47pm

Post #20 of 24 (211 views)
Shortcut
The same year Mickey Mouse enters public domain. [In reply to] Can't Post

That is, never.

I met a Balrog on the stair,
He had some wings that weren't there.
They weren't there again today,
I wish he would just fly away.

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Oct 1 2013, 6:57pm)

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 3 2013, 7:53pm

Post #21 of 24 (167 views)
Shortcut
Faramir and Boromir Go To White Castle. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hobbit Babies.

The Shiremaniacs.

When Aragorn Met Arwen.

Balin's Eleven.

Gentle Beorn.

Smaug Versus Godzilla.

Desperate Shieldmaidens.

I met a Balrog on the stair,
He had some wings that weren't there.
They weren't there again today,
I wish he would just fly away.

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Oct 3 2013, 8:29pm

Post #22 of 24 (165 views)
Shortcut
Superadan: Man of Mithril [In reply to] Can't Post

Gollum: Into Darkness

Sundering Seas Rim

Orcnado

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Oct 4 2013, 3:30am

Post #23 of 24 (146 views)
Shortcut
Carn Dm and Dmber.// [In reply to] Can't Post

What business does a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, and a hobbit have in the Rivenmark?

cats16
Valinor

Oct 4 2013, 7:37am

Post #24 of 24 (243 views)
Shortcut
LOL! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.