The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
Saruman the White vs Durin's Bane

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Sep 28 2013, 1:57pm

Post #1 of 3 (827 views)
Shortcut
Saruman the White vs Durin's Bane Can't Post

We know that Saruman is in theory the most powerful of the Istari (initially anyway), and that Gandalf the Grey was able to take down The Balrog-but could Saruman do it?

I think that it's perfectly possible, but somehow I just can't see Saruman managing it....

Will he win? Will he lose? Or will they both perish?

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."-Gandalf

Lightfoot
Rivendell

Sep 29 2013, 1:04am

Post #2 of 3 (657 views)
Shortcut
That depends [In reply to] Can't Post

In his years as Saruman the White I would say a draw. But in his later years he might try to convince the Balrog to join his army and wreck havoc on Middle Earth.

Faithful servant yet master's bane,
Lightfoot's foal, swift Snowmane

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Oct 1 2013, 12:12am

Post #3 of 3 (684 views)
Shortcut
Saruman talks it to death. [In reply to] Can't Post

He pulls out a book of OSHA regulations and drags the Balrog on a tour of its domain, pointing out all the health hazards of broken stone, blood, corpses, etc., and insists that guardrails be installed on the Bridge. ("Two feet wide? Are you kidding me? This is the most blatant defiance of regulation I have seen in thousands of years!") Also, traps must be set out for all the vermin (possibly including the orcs). More shafts to allow the place to be aired out must be installed. The dripping water must be stopped. Etc., etc. The Balrog cannot withstand the verbal onslaught and gives up. Seems he wasn't up for a bit of home improvement.

Crazy Laugh Tongue No, I have no idea where that came from, either.

On a more serious note, I doubt even Saruman's voice could persaude the Balrog to join him. Somehow, I think the Balrog would see in Saruman an equal Maia, not a greater one he might possibly serve, like Sauron. (I get the impression Sauron was a fairly strong/high-up Maia to begin with.) I think Saruman could have done it, to begin with, seeing as how Gandalf did it, but we're never given any insight into Saruman's fighting abilities or if he fights, so we'll probably never know.

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.