Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Chapter of the Week: Old Friends
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 1 2013, 6:39am

Post #51 of 59 (55 views)
Shortcut
This made me laugh out loud! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 1 2013, 7:01am

Post #52 of 59 (50 views)
Shortcut
Starling's my name, LOLz are my game. ;-D // [In reply to] Can't Post

Silwen_Peredhil
Rivendell

Oct 1 2013, 9:37am

Post #53 of 59 (49 views)
Shortcut
Bird watch in the Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

There are a number of times in AUJ where there are bird calls in the background. There are also one or two times where birds are seen (if you count the CGI birds). Wink

In the prologue when Bilbo talks about Dale being before the walls of the greatest kingdom in Middle-Earth there are bird calls.

There are bird calls in the previous scene with Bilbo and Frodo and we even see one flying around the door of Bag End just as Frodo goes back inside with the mail.

There is the blackbird call when Bilbo wakes up the morning after the party.

When Bilbo runs up to the dwarves with the contract there are lots of bird calls.

When the scene shifts to Radagast and Mirkwood there are bird calls. There is also the bird that he talks to at the end of the scene.

There are bird calls in the background when Thorin and Gandalf talk and Gandalf leaves the company at Trollshaws.

There are very faint bird calls around Rivendell. I think there is one faintly when Gandalf talks about no small degree of charm and in the extended scene with Bilbo and Elrond there are calls in the background. Not sure about the night time scenes at Rivendell though and the White Council although I think there might be bird calls. There are certainly some when the dwarves leave Rivendell and during the scene with Gandalf and Galadriel.

Then there are the eagles at the end and the thrush that flies to the Lonely Mountain that Oin mistook for a raven.

There are probably others, but those are the ones I think are there. What do you think?

What's this? A Ranger caught off his guard?

Silwen_Peredhil
Rivendell

Oct 1 2013, 9:45am

Post #54 of 59 (44 views)
Shortcut
A great prop [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes really does add to the warm feeling of Bag End. I completely agree there.

It perhaps hints a little at the idea that Bilbo has a soft spot for animals. We witness this when he gives an apple to his pony and pays it some attention despite the fact that he has an allergy, which I think is really sweet. Smile

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 1 2013, 3:14pm

Post #55 of 59 (34 views)
Shortcut
Great list! Did you notice the birds in the new trailer? ;-) / [In reply to] Can't Post

Silwen_Peredhil
Rivendell

Oct 1 2013, 4:02pm

Post #56 of 59 (35 views)
Shortcut
Yes I did :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Although, I was a little preoccupied the first time being blown away by the trailer. On further viewing, and help from my little sister's observational skills, I can tell you there were 4 birds as the elves walk over the bridge. Wink

Kim
Valinor

Oct 4 2013, 3:10am

Post #57 of 59 (25 views)
Shortcut
OK, I can finally post my full response [In reply to] Can't Post

1) Do you like this similarity with LOTR?
Actually, I didn’t remember this from LOTR, but I was fine with its inclusion here.

2) Was this how you had imagined this scene? Did you enjoy how it was played out?
Yes, I’d say this was pretty close to how I imagined it. Definitely enjoyed how this was played out. It was just so interesting to be with these characters at the start of their adventure as compared to how they started in FOTR ie. already old friends and so happy to see each other.

3) How well do you think Martin portrayed a younger Bilbo?
I think he did a great job. It felt very seamless. My brain just went “and there’s Bilbo!”

4) Are there any characteristics you saw in Ian’s Bilbo that Martin adapted or used to help portray his version of Bilbo that you thought worked really well?
I didn’t notice anything overtly while watching the scene. He just *was* Bilbo.

5) Is there anything that helps convey that Bilbo is more from upper-class society, especially for those who are being introduced to this character for the first time?
I suppose the fact that he’s sitting outside his house smoking somewhat idly in the middle of the morning.

6) Are there any props in this scene that you like?
Bilbo’s pipe, Gandalf’s staff, the birdhouse by Bilbo’s bench.

7) Do you like the way we are introduced to Gandalf with this sense of mysteriousness?
I don’t think I really noticed it, probably because I’m so familiar with him, I was just so excited when we finally saw his face! Finally, the wizard is here and we’re about to set off!

8) Do you enjoy watching Ian McKellen’s performance as Gandalf?
Always! I love the look on his face when he says “I’m pleased to find you remember something about me, even if it’s only my fireworks”.

9) How well do you think the scaling of the characters is carried out in this scene?
Very well done here. Again, seamless.

10) Do you like/dislike this deviation from the book, or do you not mind either way?
I didn’t really mind either way, although I agree with your comments that it adds to the humor when all the dwarves start arriving.

11) What is your favourite quote/moment(s) from this scene and why?
2 things:

As soon as Gandalf says “adventure”, Bilbo’s pipe practically falls out of his mouth!

The next is a small thing, but it’s when Bilbo starts marching up the stairs and Gandalf comments about his treatment by Belladonna Took’s son. As soon as Bilbo hears his mother’s name, he gives a start, stops moving and turns to look at Gandalf.

12) Do you like the way the mark has a magical quality about it?
Sure, it just seemed natural (ie he’s a wizard, why wouldn’t it be magical?)

13) Do you like how Bilbo is aware the wizard is outside his door?
I actually thought it was a little odd that he didn’t open the door and demand to know what Gandalf was doing! Although I suppose it could be that he was a little scared and/or was just hoping he’d go away.

14) Did anyone notice that Gandalf is humming as he leaves? Why do you think the film makers chose to end the scene this way?
Yes, although it’s very faint. Not sure why they chose to end it this way, but it seemed perfectly in keeping with the tone they set in the rest of the scene.

15) How did the ending of this scene prepare you for the next scene?
I’m not sure I really thought much about it, other than eagerly wondering “what’s coming next?”

16) What do you think about the music in this scene?
I like it, very whimsical and light hearted.

Overall, very fun and light hearted scene. Smile

Kim
Valinor

Oct 4 2013, 3:13am

Post #58 of 59 (22 views)
Shortcut
I think I prefer this take on it, thanks arithmancer :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Kim
Valinor

Oct 6 2013, 7:09pm

Post #59 of 59 (31 views)
Shortcut
Quick update on #15 [In reply to] Can't Post

I just realized that I thought this was actually the beginning of chapter 4, so I wasn't thinking of this scene for this question.

I actually like the bit where we see the dark hillside and hear the animals as we watch a Hobbit walk in front of Bag End. I’m not sure what the animal noise is, but for some reason, I really like it. Nice little moment. And good transition from morning at Bag End to evening (especially since we didn't get to see the market scene).

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.