Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond - There and Back Again Challenge!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Sep 27 2013, 4:45am

Post #1 of 13 (261 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond - There and Back Again Challenge! Can't Post

Welcome, gentle TORn Folk, to another week of walking through Middle Earth by exercising in this Earth. I'm not on my laptop at the moment, so I'll post our links and Beamer's and my progress tomorrow. But in the meantime, how go your journeys?

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

Joe-Mathews
Rivendell

Sep 27 2013, 2:49pm

Post #2 of 13 (145 views)
Shortcut
End of September [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi all,

Although I'm only in sight of the Trollshaws in my challenge miles, my total miles have me entering Elrond's Hidden Valley. When I started, I had originally hoped to be at Thranduil's Cave by now, but I'm not as young and healthy as I used to be.

As I'm sure Gandalf would advise, I'm going to look on the brightside, celebrate my progress, and keep going. Walking 311 miles outdoors is no small feat. I'm sure to reach Rivendell by the second premiere. I'll take it.

I'm on vacation next week and the weather looks lovely. I'm going to hit the trails hard, but not going to be Tookish about it. I'm going slow and steady.

The Summer birds have left my area, but I have some good bug pictures including a Sphinx Moth and a Blue-Faced Meadowhawk Dragonfly.

Good luck to you all on the Road!

Oh yeah:

Total Miles: 391.85
Challenge Miles: 311.75
Miles since last post: 22.45
Left to go: 655.25

'There is some woe that lies upon you... Why will you not tell me more?'
'For that woe is past,' said Galadriel; 'and I would take what joy is here left, untroubled by memory. And maybe there is woe enough yet to come, thought still hope may seem bright.'

Na Vedui
Rohan

Sep 27 2013, 3:45pm

Post #3 of 13 (132 views)
Shortcut
What fabulous photos! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for posting these, they're beautiful. The top one reminds me of a Humming-bird Hawk Moth that came here once, some years ago; we don't see them often here.

Angharad73
Rohan

Sep 27 2013, 8:28pm

Post #4 of 13 (142 views)
Shortcut
Another week... [In reply to] Can't Post

Time just seems to fly at the moment... The weather has been very good here, lately, so I have had plenty of opportunity to get outside. And I've been playing 'Just Dance' on the Wii with my daughter, which actually turned into a decent workout.

Miles this week: 43
Cumulative miles: 1250
Challenge: There and Back Again

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 30 2013, 2:37am

Post #5 of 13 (149 views)
Shortcut
What a week!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I took a few days off to work on fixing a hole in my garage roof that the raccoons were so kind to create. I'm afraid I let it set a year too long (covered, but not fixed), so the damage was a bit more than I anticipated. Especially after discovering the whole length of the roof-line was rotted out... on both sides of the garage!

So I got some major mileage with demo, rebuilding, carrying shingles, etc. I've still got lots to do. BUT I couldn't help but try and get creative with the odd-mix of shingles I have. So, since I already have the Tolkien-symbol on my roof, I'm going to make this out of these.

I hope everyone is having an awesome week! See you on the road!

Miles covered: 63 miles
Cumulated miles: 2511 Goal: #2 Unexpected Journey Individual Challenge and contributing to the Group :)

5th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013
1st draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 30 2013, 10:36pm

Post #6 of 13 (107 views)
Shortcut
Those pics are so cool!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow! Now if you were hoofing along as fast as you thing you should be, you'd miss those excellent moments and pictures :D TAKE YOUR TIME!

I'm moving slower and more cautiously, too. It's not good to hurt the tendons, joints or muscles to force something that's meant to be a joyful adventure... so you're very smart to just take it easy and stop to smell the sausages. I mean, roses :)

See you on the Road!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 30 2013, 10:39pm

Post #7 of 13 (114 views)
Shortcut
Whoa! Very Good! [In reply to] Can't Post

You keep on "Just Dancing" :D It's so nice out,... we've got to drink in as much as we can!

See you on the Road!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Elwen
Lorien

Oct 1 2013, 7:58pm

Post #8 of 13 (118 views)
Shortcut
We did it!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't been great about tracking miles, but I can tell you 3.1 I did for sure this weekend. My 9 year old elleth and I ran a 5K Color Run on Sunday. (Her first ever, my first in 18 years.)

I was thinking that we might have to walk half of the distance, as I'm more like a hobbit than an elf these days, and she's never run more than 2 miles, but we walked less than 100 yards. (She couldn't manage drinking the cup of water from the water station and running at the same time, so we took the opportunity to slow to a brisk walk for a while. The rest of the time, we kept a nice jogging pace and had a blast getting covered in color.

Now that I know I can do it, I'm thinking of upping my distance for the day-to-day runs and maybe another 5K is in the future.

(Not sure if I should post a pic, since all of them have her in them too.)

photo Desolation-of-Smaug2_zpsc1584ee1.jpg
Tauriel: So let me get this straight sir, this Elwen girl is back on something called TORn, and rather than just tell her to stop stalking you, you'd like me to show up in a movie I have no business being in as a ploy to distract her, and nevermind the wrath of countless Tolkien fans who will be calling for my destruction?

Legolas: That about sums it up. Besides, some people might like you. Oh, and to be on the safe side, can we pretend to be a couple too?

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 2 2013, 9:59am

Post #9 of 13 (109 views)
Shortcut
Great Job You Two! !!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

WOW!!!! I'm so thrilled! I can't even imagine trying to go back to running after 18 years. You each are so inspiring! *high five* AWESOME!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Elwen
Lorien

Oct 2 2013, 5:36pm

Post #10 of 13 (91 views)
Shortcut
*blushes* well thanks!!// [In reply to] Can't Post

photo Desolation-of-Smaug2_zpsc1584ee1.jpg
Tauriel: So let me get this straight sir, this Elwen girl is back on something called TORn, and rather than just tell her to stop stalking you, you'd like me to show up in a movie I have no business being in as a ploy to distract her, and nevermind the wrath of countless Tolkien fans who will be calling for my destruction?

Legolas: That about sums it up. Besides, some people might like you. Oh, and to be on the safe side, can we pretend to be a couple too?

Iolani
Rivendell

Oct 6 2013, 2:30pm

Post #11 of 13 (76 views)
Shortcut
Three weeks! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's been awhile. I've been helter skelter with my exercise, but I do have some decent mileage to report. Things are a bit crazy right now--have some time intensive writing and reading projects going. But of course I'm going to keep trying to reach my goal! Hope everyone else is having a good autumn. All the fall activities starting up--it's awesome!

miles: 28.21
cumulative: 1431.47
goal: Individual Back and There Again/ Morannon

Keep going, guys! Laugh

"It's like in the great stories Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And you didn't want to know the end...for how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But then you realize in the end it's just a passing thing, this shadow. A new day will come! And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stuck with you, that meant something. Even if you were too small to understand. But I think Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. The folk in those stories a lot of chances of turnin' back only they didn't. They kept going, because they were holdin' on to something."
"What are we holding onto, Sam?"
"That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it's worth fighting for!"

Iolani
Rivendell

Oct 6 2013, 2:32pm

Post #12 of 13 (74 views)
Shortcut
That sounds like awesome fun! [In reply to] Can't Post

Way to go!Cool

"It's like in the great stories Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And you didn't want to know the end...for how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But then you realize in the end it's just a passing thing, this shadow. A new day will come! And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stuck with you, that meant something. Even if you were too small to understand. But I think Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. The folk in those stories a lot of chances of turnin' back only they didn't. They kept going, because they were holdin' on to something."

Iolani
Rivendell

Oct 6 2013, 2:34pm

Post #13 of 13 (163 views)
Shortcut
Awesome pictures! [In reply to] Can't Post

What kind of camera do you have? The pics are cool. Especially the dragonfly! I get a lot of those moths in my garden. I think they're cool. My garden seems like a pit stop for all manner of insects. I love it. Thanks for sharing the pics!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.