Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
How does the witch king get his blade back?

Blkcpt
Rivendell

Sep 25 2013, 6:11pm

Post #1 of 16 (901 views)
Shortcut
How does the witch king get his blade back? Can't Post

If I remember correctly in AUJ they just left the blade on the table as evidence. I don't see a reason for gandalf to take it with him.. Maybe Saruman hands it over at some point?

(This post was edited by Blkcpt on Sep 25 2013, 6:21pm)

Wauntaun
The Shire

Sep 25 2013, 7:04pm

Post #2 of 16 (478 views)
Shortcut
The same way Stella got her groove back [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm very confident this is how it will go down. I could be wrong.

Frodo Lives
The Shire

Sep 25 2013, 7:04pm

Post #3 of 16 (457 views)
Shortcut
Hmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

I never thought of that - good call. One could argue that there are dozens of Morgul blades laying around, but that would a lazy way out. I hope it is resolved in the story somehow.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Sep 25 2013, 7:26pm

Post #4 of 16 (448 views)
Shortcut
Indefinite article [In reply to] Can't Post

In AUJ it is referred to by Elrond as "a (not the) Morgul blade". This suggests there may be more than one.

To me this makes the most sense anyway. From FotR, we know getting stabbed by one causes it to disappear. Yet, somehow, people in FotR seem to know what happens when one is stabbed by one. This would be possible if others had fallen victim to such wounds in the past, which due to the blades' disappearing act, would require there having been more than one.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Sep 25 2013, 7:30pm

Post #5 of 16 (433 views)
Shortcut
Dialogue: [In reply to] Can't Post

Elrond: A Morgul Blade!

Galadriel: Made for the Witch-King of Angmar....and buried with him....

Considering the practicalities, I think it possible that there was more than one made.

Elizabeth
Valinor

Sep 25 2013, 7:36pm

Post #6 of 16 (441 views)
Shortcut
In FotR (movie), Aragorn handed out 4 of them. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure movie-verse was specific that those were all Morgul Blades or where Aragorn got them, but he did have them.

What makes us think that WK "got it back" (or just had another one)?

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Sep 25 2013, 7:37pm)

Darkstone
Immortal

Sep 25 2013, 7:39pm

Post #7 of 16 (423 views)
Shortcut
Same way he got it back earlier? [In reply to] Can't Post

In the last years of Denethor I the race of uruks, black orcs of great strength, first appeared out of Mordor, and in 2475 they swept across Ithilien and took Osgiliath. Boromir son of Denethor (after whom Boromir of the Nine Walkers was later named) defeated them and regained Ithilien; but Osgiliath was finally ruined, and its great stone-bridge was broken. No people dwelt there afterwards. Boromir was a great captain, and even the Witch-king feared him. He was noble and fair of face, a man strong in body and will, but he received a Morgul-wound in that war which shortened his days, and he became shrunken with pain and died twelve years after his father.
-ROTK, Appendix A (iv)

Or maybe he went back to Minas Morgul in the Morgul Vale and made a (wait for it) Morgul Blade?

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Sometime hours and hours hence:
In The Green Dragon two ales could buy
And drank the one less filling I
And that has made all the difference.
- The Ale Less Filling, by Robert Frostymug

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Sep 25 2013, 8:26pm

Post #8 of 16 (376 views)
Shortcut
Do you mean the hobbits' blades? [In reply to] Can't Post

I do not believe that they were Morgul blades. Just normal swords, as portrayed in the film.

In the books, Merry got a blade from a barrow that was made by Numenorians to be used against the Witch King. Was that your thought?

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Sep 25 2013, 8:36pm

Post #9 of 16 (385 views)
Shortcut
One reason I think it might be the same blade [In reply to] Can't Post

If we see no more of this morgul blade and the Witch King uses another later. Then I think we would have seen this one disintegrate like the other to confirm it's a similar blade.

The fact that it didn't disintegrate tells me that we'll be seeing it again later.

Blkcpt
Rivendell

Sep 25 2013, 8:53pm

Post #10 of 16 (337 views)
Shortcut
True. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was thinking if it's a multiple blade senero that the blade introduced in AUJ might be used to kill some powerful foe. Maybe bolg or azog or who knows who....maybe even a good guy

(This post was edited by Blkcpt on Sep 25 2013, 8:54pm)

Old Pilgrim
Rivendell

Sep 26 2013, 5:50am

Post #11 of 16 (221 views)
Shortcut
This reminds me [In reply to] Can't Post

on a question how does Gandalf get his stuff back after beeing imprisoned in Isengard. Probably they will never tell us just like they didn't with Gandalf or we will learn more about his blade in the next two movies but in that case I believe that the Witch King will get the new blade from orcs because I doubt that Saruman or any other person in Rivendell will hand him over his older blade.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Sep 26 2013, 1:58pm

Post #12 of 16 (178 views)
Shortcut
The Morgul-blade that wounded Frodo was not even a sword... [In reply to] Can't Post

It is described as a knife. The Witch-king did have a sword, but that was presumably not a Morgul-blade. Or, maybe all of the Ring-wraiths' blades were Morgul-weapons?

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Rostron2
Gondor

Sep 26 2013, 11:01pm

Post #13 of 16 (108 views)
Shortcut
Undoubtedly [In reply to] Can't Post

They have a supply of these things.

Cillendor
Lorien

Sep 27 2013, 8:21pm

Post #14 of 16 (67 views)
Shortcut
He doesn't [In reply to] Can't Post

If you pay careful attention after Gandalf leaves Orthanc, he has a different staff. It appears that prior to Orthanc, he has Radagast's staff, but the staff he has in AUJ is unlike either of the two he uses in FOTR. (In fact, the AUJ staff clearly has the White staff inside of it, if you look at the replicas online.) As for his sword, he probably just didn't take it with him to Isengard. I don't remember seeing it, anyway. The best guess is that he left both in Rivendell prior to meeting with Saruman.

As for having multiple staffs, I wouldn't be surprised if they try to retcon FOTR and say that the staff he had from Rivendell to Moria IS his AUJ staff. Since the White staff is clearly contained inside the AUJ staff, it'd "make sense" that that be the one that he uses to fight the Balrog on top of the mountain, and that it opens up to the White staff when he is resurrected.

In Reply To
on a question how does Gandalf get his stuff back after beeing imprisoned in Isengard. Probably they will never tell us just like they didn't with Gandalf or we will learn more about his blade in the next two movies but in that case I believe that the Witch King will get the new blade from orcs because I doubt that Saruman or any other person in Rivendell will hand him over his older blade.

Old Pilgrim
Rivendell

Sep 28 2013, 7:06am

Post #15 of 16 (42 views)
Shortcut
Very good observing [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't even noticed that about White staff inside. I wonder if this will play an important role in the upcomming movies...

But I wasn't talking about his staff, but his stuff (hat and coat) that he is wearing while he is riding to Isengard and than again while he leaves Rivendell with the company. I know that he is having a different staff afterwards and I read somewhere that the sword we see on 0.25 here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBMiyEzOJmI is not Glamdring as it looks different.

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Sep 29 2013, 3:54am

Post #16 of 16 (39 views)
Shortcut
You're right [In reply to] Can't Post

the hobbit blades are not morgul blades. In movie verse they are a mix of Gondor, Rohan and Numenorean blades according to Weapons and Warfare.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.