Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
SCOD: Osgiliath

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Sep 25 2013, 4:35pm

Post #1 of 5 (270 views)
Shortcut
SCOD: Osgiliath Can't Post

Welcome to another Screencap of the Day (apologies for being late – I have been exceptionally busy this week. Don’t worry though, I’ll be posting up the next SCOD tomorrow Wink) .

Here is the image:

You can find the full sized image here

As always, feel free to answer any or all the questions.

1) What do you think of the overall composition?

2) What do you see in their facial expressions?

3) Do you like how the setting takes place at night?

4) In the books we are only informed of the Orcs’ attacking at Osgiliath. Do you like the fact that we are shown this attack?

5) Any other thoughts or comments about this scene?

....."Loyalty, Honor,
......A Willing Heart.
I can ask no more than that."

...... ~ Thorin Oakenshield

FlyingSerkis
Rivendell

Sep 26 2013, 11:14pm

Post #2 of 5 (88 views)
Shortcut
Thread needs reply! [In reply to] Can't Post

1) What do you think of the overall composition?

Great shot, really captures the mood and shows a lot of their faces whilst still showing that they're very much in shadow - quite spooky and foreboding.

2) What do you see in their facial expressions?

Restrained terror. They're keeping calm, doing their best to stay in control of the situation, but it's dawned on them that they may not live to see the morning. You can even tell by the way Madril clutches his bow. Nicely acted.

3) Do you like how the setting takes place at night?

Yep!

4) In the books we are only informed of the Orcs’ attacking at Osgiliath. Do you like the fact that we are shown this attack?

Yes, it definitely brings home the immediacy of the danger without at all spoiling the terrible spectacle of the amassed armies in the Pelennor Fields, as we never see a huge number of orcs.

5) Any other thoughts or comments about this scene?

Very foreboding music. Funny how the music played as the orcs cross the river (a variant of "The Threat of Mordor" I believe) is very reminiscent of a theme in Pirates of the Caribbean, released in the same year!

Then Manwë and Yavanna parted for that time, and Yavanna returned to Aulë; and he was in his smithy, pouring molten metal into a mould. 'Eru is bountiful,' she said. 'Now let thy children beware! For there shall walk a power in the forests whose wrath they will arouse at their peril.'

'Nonetheless they will have need of wood,' said Aulë, and he went on with his smith-work.

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Sep 27 2013, 12:49am

Post #3 of 5 (78 views)
Shortcut
Ah, I'm late, too! [In reply to] Can't Post

(1) Very chilling. The blues and blacks simply ooze gloom and dread. Madril's silvering hair adds a deathlike pallor to the composition. In fact, Faramir's reddish-blond (whatever color it is) hair is the only thing that doesn't look ghost-like about this shot. Isn't there a reference in the book when Frodo reaches the Black Gates about how his 'vision' on Amon Hen had deceived him - that only allies of Sauron were coming to the gates, not 'the ghosts of avenging Gondor risen from their graves'? Dunno, the ghost comparison just struck me all of a sudden.

(2) Their facial expression really nail the chilling factor. Faramir looks resigned and a bit sad; he seems to be thinking, "This is gonna hurt." Madril, on the other hand... just look at how he clutches his bow! His stance, his expression, everything just screams, "We're doomed, and I *know* it's not going to be a pretty, easy death." Unfortunately, a death that is not at all pretty or easy is exactly what he gets, poor fellow.

(3) Yes. Orcs attacking at night makes sense. Even with the darkness of Sauron obscuring the sky, there's still got to be some effect of the sun upon the orcs below. Also, mankind naturally dreads the dark and things that go bump in the night. It all ups the creepiness factor and makes the audience worry about the fate of Minas Tirith. Because, honestly, things weren't looking good. It also helps save the reveal of the army before the walls, with its battalions, siege towers, and catapults. We can't see all the orcs here, and that makes it more scary.

(4) Yes. It helps us know exactly the plight that Gondor is in.

(5) Have I mentioned that it is very creepy and ghost-like? By the way, what is that vague white silhouette in the bottom-left corner? Assuredly it is just some of the stone in ruined Osgiliath, but it looks like something out of footage from some paranormal-hunters show. Look out behind you, Madril!

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Rohan

Sep 28 2013, 5:04pm

Post #4 of 5 (55 views)
Shortcut
Ah, the music... [In reply to] Can't Post

It always gives me the shivers because the beat always seems to play at the same time as an Orc rushes past the pillars they are hiding behind.

....."Loyalty, Honor,
......A Willing Heart.

Rohan

Sep 28 2013, 5:06pm

Post #5 of 5 (91 views)
Shortcut
Better late than never! [In reply to] Can't Post

Indeed, it is quite a chilling scene on the whole.
Did you see how the mist formed when the Orcs come ashore? Creepy.

....."Loyalty, Honor,
......A Willing Heart.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.