Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
where is the publicity?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Sep 24 2013, 3:01pm

Post #26 of 36 (193 views)
Shortcut
Possibilities [In reply to] Can't Post

So it's like everyone forgetting our birthday - I get it.

So with no communication from WB about The Hobbit, it could mean a few things:

1. Production is behind and all efforts are concentrated on completing the film - no distractions allowed.

2. WB learned something from the release of the first film that has altered their approach to the next installment.

3. Invasion.

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 24 2013, 3:18pm

Post #27 of 36 (184 views)
Shortcut
October, November is plenty of time to advertise a known franchise [In reply to] Can't Post

It isn't like there was nothing up to this point. they released a teaser. release date won't be changed, TABA will be released next year no matter how much DoS makes. I see no reasons to worry unless we are talking about franchise wars "why can't my movie makes more than your movie?" type of situation.

"RadagaStoner deserves no mercy!" Tauriel the Radagast Slayer, the Chief of Inglorious Elfguards

Tauriel saved us from Itaril. Never forget.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Sep 24 2013, 6:02pm

Post #28 of 36 (179 views)
Shortcut
Next trailer with 'Gravity' in October... [In reply to] Can't Post

At least, that is what is being said at the home page.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Bombadil
Half-elven

Sep 24 2013, 6:47pm

Post #29 of 36 (160 views)
Shortcut
Does Bomby give a "Care"...Not [In reply to] Can't Post

Throwing your "Angst Around"
solves nothing...

jus' go to the Movie.
It's none of our bizzness
How it is Handled by Handlers?

It will Rock the MovieWorld,
just wait.
Bitng your Nails, while Blogging
is just "Flotsum&Jetsom"

down the long winding road..
Years from now, it's Highly likely
we will forget any of this.

Bomby

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Sep 24 2013, 7:26pm

Post #30 of 36 (149 views)
Shortcut
#8? Doggone! Unforgivable WB, ninnies. lol. This is spot on though! [In reply to] Can't Post

Legolas promotion isn't a bad move, but instead of trying to forcefeed Tauriel, a little more in the way of familliar faces would be good. An EW cover with Ganalf trying to impart some message to Thranduil, or of THORIN, Legolas and Bard ( Thorin, Legolas, Tauriel, THorin Legolas, Thranduil. . . Thranduil and Thorin with Gandalf standing between looking like a headache is coming on lol), i.e. A hero from the older movies, a hero from An Unexpected, and one of the heros yet to be revealed or spotlighted.

I agree that they are not taking a balanced enough approach to this. Ahhhhh, well. We shall see.

In Reply To
was there ever any real studio projection or fans went "if The Avengers could make _______ than prequel to LOTR will certainly make more"? For on latter
IMO, more than ramping up 24-7 marketing, the content of it is far more important than quantity. Take Thor 2 for example. They don't reveal too much but what they do is what people want to see in the first place - Thor and Loki. All trailers and spots are about them, not about possible new characters. I never understood the idea to try to introduce a new character in trailers and warm the public for him/her. That's stupid. Beloved characters sell the movie and new characters become favorites when a movie is seen, not in 2-3 minutes snippets. So no wonder Thor 2 is rnaked #2 in social media mentions and DoS #8 (accoridng to Variety). I'd say that focus on Elves and new characters confuses causal fans. It's like marketing a totally different movie. TTT trailers and spots never did that. They had a fare share of new faces but they weren't the focus over characters we loved from FOTR.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Sep 24 2013, 7:28pm

Post #31 of 36 (141 views)
Shortcut
Of course we are. lmao. As an Animated THorin once said, "its a matter of principal, of honour!" lol [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It isn't like there was nothing up to this point. they released a teaser. release date won't be changed, TABA will be released next year no matter how much DoS makes. I see no reasons to worry unless we are talking about franchise wars "why can't my movie makes more than your movie?" type of situation.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Sep 24 2013, 9:12pm

Post #32 of 36 (121 views)
Shortcut
Stronger possibility [In reply to] Can't Post

3. Invasion.

The bastards have landed!

Wink

Honestly, i prefer a shortage of information, be it written or audio visual, than an abundance of it.

Vous commencez m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

(This post was edited by Lusitano on Sep 24 2013, 9:13pm)

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 24 2013, 10:52pm

Post #33 of 36 (106 views)
Shortcut
My problem with the teaser is that new characters hardly interact with old ones [In reply to] Can't Post

hence why Elves and Bard (in the scene with Legolas) feel like they are in a different movie. If we got Tauriel and dwarves, instead of Tauriel and Legolas, and Legolas and Bilbo/dwarves the continuity would be felt. But the teaser seemed as if they didn't trust the appeal of AUJ characters and switched the marketing focus precisely to show there were other characters (with presumably more cross-appeal). Ugh.

"RadagaStoner deserves no mercy!" Tauriel the Radagast Slayer, the Chief of Inglorious Elfguards

Tauriel saved us from Itaril. Never forget.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Sep 25 2013, 12:05am

Post #34 of 36 (105 views)
Shortcut
Maybe this next trailer will set things to right. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
hence why Elves and Bard (in the scene with Legolas) feel like they are in a different movie. If we got Tauriel and dwarves, instead of Tauriel and Legolas, and Legolas and Bilbo/dwarves the continuity would be felt. But the teaser seemed as if they didn't trust the appeal of AUJ characters and switched the marketing focus precisely to show there were other characters (with presumably more cross-appeal). Ugh.

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 25 2013, 7:39am

Post #35 of 36 (80 views)
Shortcut
But the first trailer did show Bard interacting with Thorin... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thranduil with Thorin, Legolas with the dwarves.

I'd say it was a complete mixture - but I think the point of bringing the new characters forward was to show from the off that this is a new film. They didn't want people thinking, 'The Hobbit - seen that'. And to latch onto the popularity of the elves, Legolas especially.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Sep 25 2013, 9:03pm

Post #36 of 36 (56 views)
Shortcut
Fair enough, and maybe this new trailer will have more of that. I think the scene [In reply to] Can't Post

(if it is an actual scene or at least rooted in one and not just on set clowning) with Gandalf greeting Legolas when Tauriel is with him, more of the Thranduil and Thorin interplay, more of Bard and the dwarves, something with Gandalf and The Nazgul Cool (tis to be hoped), and OF COURSE, any scenes involving an Audience with Smaug, will go a very long ways towards establishing New Movie, Same Larger Story.

In Reply To
Thranduil with Thorin, Legolas with the dwarves.

I'd say it was a complete mixture - but I think the point of bringing the new characters forward was to show from the off that this is a new film. They didn't want people thinking, 'The Hobbit - seen that'. And to latch onto the popularity of the elves, Legolas especially.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.