Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
TORn Amateur Symposium - November 2013. Call For Submissions Thread.
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Brethil
Half-elven

Oct 6 2013, 2:13pm

Post #51 of 61 (140 views)
Shortcut
We all send you healing wishes!!!!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

TORn Amateur Symposium
Bree

Oct 6 2013, 3:34pm

Post #52 of 61 (125 views)
Shortcut
Sunday 6th October - First reminder thread [In reply to] Can't Post

Since the introductory thread/call for submissions thread is still on page 1, we've decided not to make a second thread quite yet.

Instead, please take this post as the "first reminder thread" for TAS2, happening this November.

We have had a stunning amount of interest in the second TORn Amateur Symposium, but you still have a month to express interest in writing for us. Thank you to everyone that has already expressed interest, and we hope your essays are coming along nicely. Please see the original post for all the details.

If you have any queries, questions or suggestions, please do not hesitate to ask. Simply ask in this thread, PM the TAS TORn account, email us at tornamateursymposium@gmail.com, or contact Brethil or DanielLB.

The second, and final, reminder thread will be posted on Sunday 20th October. By this time, we would like to confirm with you your proposed topic and possible title (via PM). These will all be included in this thread. Submission doesn't close until Sunday 03rd November so you still have plenty of time.

Thank you to everyone. And happy scribbling! Smile

Vardamir

Oct 8 2013, 9:21pm

Post #53 of 61 (127 views)
Shortcut
TORn Amateur Symposium Essay Topic [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm planning to write an essay about the Gollum/Smeagol character in LotR:

Is he evil?
Is he a victim?
Or something in between?

Any Thoughts

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 9 2013, 6:27am

Post #54 of 61 (107 views)
Shortcut
*Thumbs up!* [In reply to] Can't Post

And welcome to TORn Vardamir. Smile

That sounds like a great essay topic, and I look forward to reading it. Gollum always was a rather special character - Smeagol vs. Gollum and his internal conflicts. It will be interesting to see what you come up with.

Thank you for writing for TAS!

MilleniumRoger

Oct 10 2013, 4:05am

Post #55 of 61 (91 views)
Shortcut
"Fighting the Long Defeat" [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey! I've been lurking for a while but this got me out of my hole! I want to write something about the idea of victory in the Tolkien cannon. Hope that's okay!

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 10 2013, 6:41am

Post #56 of 61 (110 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to delurk-ingdom :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice to meet you MilleniumRoger, and welcome to TORn. That sounds like a fascinating topic for TAS - any idea what you might cover? Thank you for writing for TAS.

Smile

Ida
The Shire

Oct 14 2013, 6:05pm

Post #57 of 61 (85 views)
Shortcut
About that music essay... [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, I think I will definitely have to re-think my essay on the soundtracks, as there's just tons and tons of material and things to say about it! There's basically two ways to go about it: Either I include Elves, Dwarves, Men and Hobbits, and then it'll be very short passages on each of them and a kind of basic "spot-the-difference", or, I split the essay in two, and tackle two races in each, allowing me to also include the differences in the individual races (like Rivendell and Lothlorien Elves). Any comments on what people would most like to see?

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 14 2013, 7:01pm

Post #58 of 61 (76 views)
Shortcut
Both have there advantages. :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

I know how you feel - my first TAS essay had to be completely re-written, after finding one quote from Tolkien. Wink Luckily, there's still plenty of time to go.

An overview paper might be nice, and it might be easier for people to read, follow and comment. However an essay split in two (so you either had a Part 1 and Part 2 essay both in TAS2, or split across TAS2 and TAS3) might also be good - that way you *can* go into the details you like. Especially if you think your topic will be done more justice splitting it.

Personally, I quite like essays that are split up into easy-to-read chunks over several symposiums, so that there is a continual theme and the ideas and opinions are continually developed and built upon. Kind of like a real-life scientific journal. That's just me though. It is entirely up to you, but we will happily accept two essays.

Depending on the number of submissions, we may actually have to split TAS2 in half itself (before and after The Hobbit). But more of that when we know how many people have actually written essays.

Smile

(I probably haven't helped in your decision making in the slightest. Wink)

Ida
The Shire

Oct 14 2013, 7:06pm

Post #59 of 61 (78 views)
Shortcut
Haha, not really, no! [In reply to] Can't Post

But it's always nice to hear what other people think.

Unfortunately I won't have time to make two in-depth essays this time around (because of Uni work), but I might just do a "simple" overview for this one, and then leave it open for further discussion/writing?

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 14 2013, 7:12pm

Post #60 of 61 (70 views)
Shortcut
That's a good idea. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Unfortunately I won't have time to make two in-depth essays this time around (because of Uni work), but I might just do a "simple" overview for this one, and then leave it open for further discussion/writing?

And during the discussion, someone might pick up on something that you might want to develop further in a later essay.

Don't worry about getting two finished together. That won't be a problem. And if you need extra time, just let us know, and we can give you a couple more days. Smile

Ida
The Shire

Oct 14 2013, 7:16pm

Post #61 of 61 (153 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I'll for for the "overview" essay, as I do find it quite interesting how Shore has made sure every race is immediately distinguishable :) I'm halfway thorough it anyway, so might as well carry on ;)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.