Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
I like the email notice of responses! But I've had a problem

Curious
Half-elven

Mar 2 2007, 4:09pm

Post #1 of 18 (203 views)
Shortcut
I like the email notice of responses! But I've had a problem Can't Post

replying to some of those responses, a problem that comes and goes. Maybe it is a problem with my computer, I don't know. Has anyone else experienced temporary difficulty replying to posts?

Inferno
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 2 2007, 4:11pm

Post #2 of 18 (121 views)
Shortcut
That's a new one on me. [In reply to] Can't Post

Can you describe more fully what's happening-- getting any error messages?

Inferno.

Curious
Half-elven

Mar 2 2007, 7:26pm

Post #3 of 18 (122 views)
Shortcut
No, clicking on "reply" just gave me no response. I thought it might have frozen, [In reply to] Can't Post

but then I went to a different board and could reply. I went back to the original post and still couldn't reply. Then I tried on a different computer and could reply. So I'm not sure what the problem was. I just wondered if anyone else had periodic trouble replying. I also had trouble accessing the links in that post, and that also cleared up at a later time.

Inferno
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 2 2007, 7:45pm

Post #4 of 18 (97 views)
Shortcut
Odd [In reply to] Can't Post

If it comes up again, PM me with links to the posts in question, and times you were having the problems. I can't make any guarantees that it'll make a difference, but I can certainly look into it.

Inferno.

Curious
Half-elven

Mar 2 2007, 7:52pm

Post #5 of 18 (108 views)
Shortcut
PM me? [In reply to] Can't Post

Inferno
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 2 2007, 8:45pm

Post #6 of 18 (95 views)
Shortcut
Private Message [In reply to] Can't Post

See the Ring at the top that says "Your Mesgs"? That's where you can send people private messages on the Forum.

Inferno.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 2 2007, 9:44pm

Post #7 of 18 (110 views)
Shortcut
I had a similar problem yesterday [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
replying to some of those responses, a problem that comes and goes. Maybe it is a problem with my computer, I don't know. Has anyone else experienced temporary difficulty replying to posts?

I wanted to Quote a message in my reply, so I clicked on Quote. I could fill in the subject line, but I couldn't post anything in the body of the message. So I backed out of that message, then tried the same with Reply. Same problem: I could complete the subject line but could not click anywhere in the body of the message box.

So I switched to Basic Editor while I had the Reply box open and it worked fine. Didn't have any problems after that, even though I was back in Advanced Editor.

I didn't post anything here because it was a one-time thing. If the problem occurred again I was going to bring it up.

But it sounds like you had a similar problem.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Curious
Half-elven

Mar 2 2007, 10:27pm

Post #8 of 18 (90 views)
Shortcut
Got it, thanks. [In reply to] Can't Post

Curious
Half-elven

Mar 2 2007, 10:31pm

Post #9 of 18 (77 views)
Shortcut
That does sound similar, but in my case I couldn't even [In reply to] Can't Post

fill in the subject line, or get to the subject line. Nothing at all happened when I clicked on reply. Now that you mention it, I think I've also had the problem you mention about not being able get past the subject line. And I think I may have solved it the same way, by switching to Basic Editor. And again, it was only a temporary phenomenon.

drogo
Lorien

Mar 2 2007, 11:12pm

Post #10 of 18 (88 views)
Shortcut
That happened to me with Advanced Editor [In reply to] Can't Post

i just use the Basic one now, but I am also familiar with the BB code enough to prefer putting in links with the square bracket thingies.

I wonder if the Advanced has some java problem, or something like that.

(Formerly drogo of the two names!)

Reera the Red
Rivendell

Mar 2 2007, 11:27pm

Post #11 of 18 (88 views)
Shortcut
It's not using Java. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I wonder if the Advanced has some java problem, or something like that.

The Advanced Editor just uses Javascript (which is a quite different thing from Java, despite the similarity of names.) But it definitely has some idiosyncrasies, not to say outright bugs. I ditched it pretty quickly because if I use "Quote" when replying to a post, it flat refuses to let me type anything after the quoted text -- I can only put my text before it. And since top-posting (putting your reply before the quoted text) is extremely poor netiquette and I loathe it, I switched to the Basic Editor and stayed there. I'd just as soon hand-code my HTML or Markup anyway, since I'm used to doing it, so I'm not likely to bother with the cute little function buttons.

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 3 2007, 2:30am

Post #12 of 18 (84 views)
Shortcut
General comment: it would be helpful if everyone would let us know the browser... [In reply to] Can't Post

you're using when you post questions here.

I've been mostly using IE in it's various versions (7.0 atm), and using Advanced Editor and I've never encountered these problem in the 2 1/2 years I've been using gforum, both this version and older ones. Go figure. Crazy Not saying you guys are imagining things (no really Wink), but as Inferno said, the more info. we have the more chance we have of figuring out what may be going on. Those who aren't using either IE or Mozilla (Firefox) may, indeed encounter a glitch or two as Gforum was designed to operate best in those two browsers.

Btw, I physically have to 'click' at the right end of the line below the quoted text before I can start typing my message, but once I do I'm good to go.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the boards that are given to us"

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Reera the Red
Rivendell

Mar 3 2007, 2:47am

Post #13 of 18 (83 views)
Shortcut
Firefox 2.0, here. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Btw, I physically have to 'click' at the right end of the line below the quoted text before I can start typing my message, but once I do I'm good to go.

Hmm, looks like that does work, as long as I click way out on the right margin. Hitting the line itself gives a set of what look like graphical controls, which is what I kept running into before. (And trying to click under it does nothing.) A bit non-intuitive, but workable.

But I think I'll stick to the Basic Editor, 'cause I'd rather hand-code and know exactly where everything is.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 3 2007, 3:12am

Post #14 of 18 (68 views)
Shortcut
IE 6.0 [In reply to] Can't Post

I knew about the trick to click on the end of the Quote and then hitting return before I could type in the message box. That usually works, but this one time it didn't work.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 3 2007, 3:33am

Post #15 of 18 (79 views)
Shortcut
A ha! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hitting the line itself gives a set of what look like graphical controls

*light bulb goes on* Thank you! More information is a good thing. Smile

Erm, now can I take back what I said about not encountering this before? BlushWink That jogged my memory that I *have* encountered the problem before, but rarely. It only happens in Advanced Editor and produces some little graphics at the upper left corner of the Post box and you can't type in the box!

Switching to Basic Editor always solves the problem. Refreshing your browser and/or clicking "Back" then hitting "Reply" again also helps more often than not. Apparently it is a glitch that should only happen in IE 6.0 and older, which is why I probably haven't seen it happen in a while during my own use. Strange that you're having it in Firefox, but there you have it.

Again, one of those three fixes above should help.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the boards that are given to us"

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Curious
Half-elven

Mar 3 2007, 12:49pm

Post #16 of 18 (78 views)
Shortcut
It's happening again! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't reply to Sandicom's post in the Reading Room, "Tolkien Illustrated: Fan Art V--Unique Visions," nor can I use any of the links in that post. Then when I came here, at first I couldn't post or PM or anything. Then I put this thread into threaded mode, and suddenly I could reply to your post. And by the way, I'm using Opera, so perhaps that's the problem, but other times it works just fine. Now I'll try the PM thing.

Curious
Half-elven

Mar 3 2007, 12:51pm

Post #17 of 18 (77 views)
Shortcut
Oh and you asked for the time. It's 6:50 am Chicago time on Sat, Mar 3. [In reply to] Can't Post

FarFromHome
Valinor

Mar 3 2007, 6:35pm

Post #18 of 18 (111 views)
Shortcut
I'm using IE7 [In reply to] Can't Post

and I've had no trouble opening posts or replying to them, but I have found that when using Quote, the hard returns I enter in my draft don't always show up in the preview (that is, in certain posts none of them show up, and in others they all show up normally - I don't think I've ever had both behaviours in one post). I usually find that switching to the Basic Editor and adding some hard returns there makes it come right, but I haven't been able to pinpoint exactly what's happening.

Although I know HTML fairly well, I've never used markup before, and it seems that you can't use either [p] or [br] to insert a hard return. Is that right, or is there some trick I'm missing?

...and the sails were drawn up, and the wind blew,
and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth;
and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore
glimmered and was lost.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.