Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Yahoo Lists The Worst Continuity Errors

AshNazg
Rohan

Sep 15 2013, 5:23pm

Post #1 of 20 (1345 views)
Shortcut
Yahoo Lists The Worst Continuity Errors Can't Post

http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/...rrors-231400669.html

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Sep 15 2013, 9:16pm

Post #2 of 20 (639 views)
Shortcut
I don't see any of those as errors [In reply to] Can't Post

Nitpicking like this is the worst and lot of people don't even notice it I for one don't care cause I tend to think logically about it. let me nitpick these nitpicks lol

1. The dissapearing forest is exactly what it says: not a forest in sight, even though the previous scene showed them in a heavily wooded area however this is a movie not real time so for all we know the warg chase scene was like 5 hours later

2. Sting is glowing in the final battle with Azog It's just hard to see because I think the fire is too bright compare it to the Riddles in The Dark scene, there are a few shots though where you can see it faintly glowing in the final battle

3. This movie is set 60 years before LOTR so Saruman's beard is bound to be darker because he is younger he has a black streak in it in LOTR while the rest of it is white, blame it on the lighting and whatnot for it seemingly changing colors in the scene

4. Thorin's Oak Shield is clearly visible in a few shots in Rivendell and later. I noticed that he seemed to pull the oak shield out of nowhere until i paid closer attention

5. clearly the eagle rolled Thorin over closer to his sword so it could picked both of them up how hard is that? some people just need to pay attention y'know

6. He did say Fili again people need to pay attention I know Kili and Fili sound alike but come on now

7. I hoped this one was real because I love Goofs like these but sadly it's not I was lied to LIED TO!

Mooseboy018
Gondor

Sep 15 2013, 10:03pm

Post #3 of 20 (557 views)
Shortcut
Sting [In reply to] Can't Post

The real Sting problem is in the first warg scene. There's only a couple of shots, but it still bugs me that it's not glowing.

I'm crossing my fingers for a fix in the extended edition (kind of like when they made it easier to see the King of the Dead in that one shot), but I'm not holding my breath.

dave_lf
Gondor

Sep 16 2013, 1:02pm

Post #4 of 20 (356 views)
Shortcut
Sting [In reply to] Can't Post

And I still think we may discover that Azog doesn't make Sting glow because he's already dead.

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Sep 16 2013, 10:21pm

Post #5 of 20 (269 views)
Shortcut
I thought that too [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought about Zombie Azog too I just didn't want to say anything lol

and Mooseboy018 I forgot about the scenes in the warg chase at the end I was only referring to when Bilbo saved Thorin

burgahobbit
Rohan

Sep 18 2013, 12:20pm

Post #6 of 20 (173 views)
Shortcut
Sting's either a mistake or mystery [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sorry, but Sting does not glow in the end scene. The moon is very bright that might, you can tell when Bilbo swings his sword around, it's catching different angles of the moon's reflection. So yes, it "glows", but not magically.

And yes I think they might be zombies. They made it quite clear in the goblin tunnels that Sting does not glow for dead orcs. Hint, hint. Tongue So it looks like a mistake, but the audience will soon find out that its not.

P.S. On #7, yeah that stunk. It would have been just like Gandalf in LOTR, that was an accident too. Maybe that's how the rumor was started, someone confused The Hobbit with LOTR?

"I've found it is the small things, everyday deeds of ordinary folk, that keeps the darkness at bay. Simple acts of kindness and love. Why Bilbo Baggins? Perhaps it is because Im afraid, and he gives me courage. - Gandalf the Grey.

"Do not be afraid Mithrandir, if ever you should need my help, I will come." - Lady Galadriel.

(This post was edited by burgahobbit on Sep 18 2013, 12:21pm)

burgahobbit
Rohan

Sep 18 2013, 12:38pm

Post #7 of 20 (170 views)
Shortcut
One exception [In reply to] Can't Post

This would support our theory. First, for clarification:

Here its glowing: http://screencapped.net/...83#top_display_media
Here its moonlight (notice the color behind him in the sky, same thing. Also, in LOTR was blue in the daylight all the time, never stopped it from glowing): http://screencapped.net/...54#top_display_media
Its obviously not glowing or catching the moonlight here: http://screencapped.net/...00#top_display_media

Now here's an exception to the non glowing Sting problem at the end: http://screencapped.net/...93#top_display_media

Why is this? Well if the orcs are in effect dead, but their spirits have inhabited or possessed their dead bodies (weird, I know), not making them alive but dead and moving, perhaps sting glows when it actually encounters the spirit of the orc, inside of the orc.

Shocked

"I've found it is the small things, everyday deeds of ordinary folk, that keeps the darkness at bay. Simple acts of kindness and love. Why Bilbo Baggins? Perhaps it is because Im afraid, and he gives me courage. - Gandalf the Grey.

"Do not be afraid Mithrandir, if ever you should need my help, I will come." - Lady Galadriel.

(This post was edited by burgahobbit on Sep 18 2013, 12:39pm)

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Sep 18 2013, 2:40pm

Post #8 of 20 (144 views)
Shortcut
Looks like it's glowing in all of those pictures. It's just dimmer in the moonlight // [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Sep 18 2013, 2:41pm)

burgahobbit
Rohan

Sep 18 2013, 5:05pm

Post #9 of 20 (135 views)
Shortcut
Why isn't it dimmer in the sunlight then? [In reply to] Can't Post

LOTR glows in sunlight: http://screencapped.net/...88#top_display_media
Hobbit definitely doesn't: http://screencapped.net/...46#top_display_media

I really don't think that Sting glows at the end of the hobbit.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 18 2013, 5:08pm

Post #10 of 20 (134 views)
Shortcut
Simple: it's solar powered ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Brighter in sunlight, dimmer in moonlight.

(I have to agree with you both. It's definitely not glowing as much as I'd like, but there is a hint of it glowing.)

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Sep 18 2013, 6:05pm

Post #11 of 20 (132 views)
Shortcut
The unfortunate answer to that is [In reply to] Can't Post

Because it glows differently in The Hobbit. In TH the engraved pattern on Sting glows brighter than the rest of the blade, in LOTR it doesn't.

It's why the ring world and Nazgul look different in each film. Better technology has let them update the effects and now Sting's glow can be effected by external light, 10 years ago that would've been harder to do.

burgahobbit
Rohan

Sep 18 2013, 7:54pm

Post #12 of 20 (107 views)
Shortcut
That makes sense [In reply to] Can't Post

Good points. I can see a blue glow in the pattern here. But to me this still doesn't look like it is glowing at all. I don't understand why the filmmakers would make the glow so faint that a lot of people think that there is no glow. And if the sunlight drowning it out that much was on purpose, then that's even more ridiculous. I hope that they fix this or at least explain it a bit in the extended edition. Frown

Cirashala
Grey Havens

Sep 19 2013, 6:20am

Post #13 of 20 (104 views)
Shortcut
in the second pic [In reply to] Can't Post

It is glowing- you can see that the blade is blue, whereas the hilt is silver. It's hard to see (meaning not so obvious like it was in Gollum's dark cave), but I looked at your picture that you linked to, and it is a different color than the hilt.

Please look again- though I agree it should have glowed more strongly.

Race is meaningless. We all bleed red-no matter who or what we are. What matters is the heart. For each race has those with good hearts and those with bad hearts. You have a good heart. You do not deserve to die.

burgahobbit
Rohan

Sep 20 2013, 5:57pm

Post #14 of 20 (72 views)
Shortcut
I see that now [In reply to] Can't Post

But Sting was never that faint in LOTR. I just don't understand why they did this. Unless you look really closely it appears that it isn't glowing, even in the first picture. The color of most of the blade (besides the pattern which is definitely sting-blue) is pretty much the exact same color as the moonlight behind it. Maybe it is because the orcs are zombies that its so faint. I really hope this is mentioned in the Appendices or commentary.

Cirashala
Grey Havens

Sep 20 2013, 6:05pm

Post #15 of 20 (75 views)
Shortcut
maybe [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe they made it brighter in Rivendell when they forged Sting's name onto it on Bilbo's return journey?

Or maybe a more practical reason- they might have run out of "D" batteries...

Race is meaningless. We all bleed red-no matter who or what we are. What matters is the heart. For each race has those with good hearts and those with bad hearts. You have a good heart. You do not deserve to die.

burgahobbit
Rohan

Sep 20 2013, 6:45pm

Post #16 of 20 (72 views)
Shortcut
Haha, I think your on to something here [In reply to] Can't Post

It was out of D batteries in the first warg chase. In Rivindell they supplied Bilbo with a whole bunch of extras. Bilbo must have put too many in, without knowing it, so it was on an electric high in the Misty Mountains and shone brighter than it needed too. Eventually this caused the bulb to burn out (coincidentally this happened just as Gollum killed the goblin).

Apparently it still works slightly, but Bilbo's going to have to let Elrond take a look at it before he gives it to cousin Frodo. Tongue

Cirashala
Grey Havens

Sep 20 2013, 6:50pm

Post #17 of 20 (77 views)
Shortcut
Well there ya go [In reply to] Can't Post

I knew there was a reason behind these anomalies!

mystery of sting's glow-solved. The perpetrator was D batteries and user error. Case closed Cool

burgahobbit
Rohan

Sep 20 2013, 6:55pm

Post #18 of 20 (68 views)
Shortcut
:D // [In reply to] Can't Post

glor
Rohan

Sep 20 2013, 7:16pm

Post #19 of 20 (71 views)
Shortcut
agree plus [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin 'wacking his head' against the ceiling in Bag End isn't an error.

A Hobbit home is Hobbit sized, and dwarves being taller than Hobbits, especially a dwarf considered tall for his race faces the possibilty of banging his head against the ceiling in said Hobbit hole.

(This post was edited by glor on Sep 20 2013, 7:16pm)

Elskidor
Rohan

Sep 22 2013, 12:07am

Post #20 of 20 (55 views)
Shortcut
Wow [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad I'm able to watch a movie without noticing all these silly things.Its more likely to have me looking for the mistakes the next time I watch, and I'll be far more annoyed by the moron who brought the mess up to attention than PJ and company.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.