Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
The Lord of the Cookies

burgahobbit
Rohan

Sep 14 2013, 4:04pm

Post #1 of 7 (118 views)
Shortcut
The Lord of the Cookies Can't Post

Hiya! My name is burgahobbit, you may know me, you may not. I usually only venture in the short lands from the Shire to Esgaroth, and even then only seldom compared to some adventurers you know, but sometimes I will also go down to the South towards Mordor and see what people have to say about the ancient paintings concerning the past ages of Middle-earth. (scod)

Everyone once in a blue moon Durin's Day I'll make my way to the lands in the far east where unknown things roam and crazy things being to happen. This land is called Off Topic.....

Okay I have no idea where I'm going with this thread, but this is Off Topic isn't it? Can't I post something Off Topic within my own Off Topic thread? Crazy

Now, I have a question that is in desperate needs of answering, my dear friends. I have searched far and wide to find a kindred spirit, but there are none who share my view. Frown
...Actually I've only asked about three of four people this question, because it is a rather difficult topic, and now here it comes for the whole world's ears! Now bear with me, this thread is only 90% ridiculousness. Take a deep breath of Rhosgobel, get in the mood of smelly animals and yummy pastries, and prepare for the ultimate test.

I ASK YOU NOW, DO YOU, OR DO YOU NOT (and this is a completely legitimate serious question I'm asking so read it slow and steady!),

Think that strong Peanut Butter Cookies......................really strong and a little bit wrong tasting peanut butter cookies.................taste somewhat.......like the smell........of a faint...........spray.................of skunk?
I'm dead serious!!! There is a similarity! It's not just a weird batch of cookies I ate, this happened many times, and with cookies made by different people in different places! When a skunk smell is very faint, and is almost bearable, it always reminds me of peanut butter cookies. What the heck? I know! But I need to hear if anyone else shares my odd case of weirdness! Laugh

(This post was edited by burgahobbit on Sep 14 2013, 4:12pm)

burgahobbit
Rohan

Sep 14 2013, 4:10pm

Post #2 of 7 (66 views)
Shortcut
P.S. [In reply to] Can't Post

I really am not insane, I am just running on little sleep and wanted to have some fun. Maybe I had too much fun even for an off topic thread, but maybe you can have fun with this thread too...some how! This whole post is just ridiculous, but my question about the peanut butter cookies is indeed serious!

I am almost positive that no one will agree with me, but I ask this one favor, fellow TORnadoes...next time you eat a peanut butter cookie, please, for my sake, think faint skunk! Laugh

(This post was edited by burgahobbit on Sep 14 2013, 4:11pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 14 2013, 5:08pm

Post #3 of 7 (61 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess - being an extreme lover of peanut butter, although I rarely eat peanut butter cookies - I would start by saying there are lots of variables here.

Homemade peanut butter cookies or store bought?

If homemade, what kind of peanut butter and how fresh?

If store bought, what kind of cookies and how fresh.

Peanut butter goes rancid pretty quickly and I am very sensitive to the smell and taste of rancid peanuts/peanut butter. I don't think I've ever equated that with skunk smell but perhaps that's factoring into what you perceive.

You got me thinking about this weed that grew in a vacant area near our house when I was growing up in Michigan. It was a tall weed, with a tall stalk flower (like maybe 2 feet tall?). I can distinctly remember how the flower bud looked but not really the flower. But that plant was the most noxious smelling thing ever and I hated it. Kids would pick the flowers to bring to the teacher and the smell of it on the bus would make me ill.

I have no clue what it was.

ah, persistence. It might have been salsify.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Sep 14 2013, 5:12pm)

burgahobbit
Rohan

Sep 14 2013, 6:27pm

Post #4 of 7 (57 views)
Shortcut
Could be [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know. All I know is that I only taste it in peanut butter cookies (they are homemade). It would just be regular peanut butter from a grocery store out of a plastic jar. I don't taste it in every cookie but when I do it is not pleasant, however, its not quite as repulsive as when one would smell a skunk. That's why I always associate it with a faint skunk smell rather than a strong skunk smell, but no one else around me notices it. Tongue I also really love peanut butter and pb cookies, but this taste I get sometimes really bugs me. Laugh

Now that I've recovered a bit from my lack of sleep I feel rather stupid to have posted this thread in the first place. I always new it was stupid but the thrill of the moment just got me. But I guess I did have hopes that some one out there thinks that these cookies might taste a little like skunk smell. Tongue Probably only me.

(This post was edited by burgahobbit on Sep 14 2013, 6:28pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 14 2013, 8:49pm

Post #5 of 7 (54 views)
Shortcut
I buy natural peanut butter [In reply to] Can't Post

which is ground peanuts in the oil that is released when the peanuts are ground. (some replace the peanut oil with cheaper oils)

I don't buy Jif or whatever so I can't speak about those. But it is possible if it's 'only sometimes' you notice this, that it's rancidity you are picking up on. And some people's sense of smell is more acute than others so it's not all that unbelievable that you notice it when others don't.

I've purchased chocolate covered peanuts or candy bars with peanuts and noticed the rancidity of the nuts right away where my husband won't.

I did some searching on how people describe rancid oil (and it's the oil in peanut butter that goes rancid) and found this:

Fat that has gone rancid has a very distinct smell, and it seems to be the same (or very similar) across any fat I have ever experienced it with. Various fats seem to hold up better than others, but eventually they will all go: the effect is exaggerated by exposure to heat, and I am told light as well, though I don't know that from personal experience.

I can call the smell to mind, but I don't quite know how to describe it: it's pungent, funky, musty, and just generally nasty. You really can't mistake it. And if you taste it, you'll know for sure. My taste buds are cringing right now just thinking about it...

and this:

Good peanut oil smells like peanuts. Bad peanut oil will smell sharp and acrid.

It seems reasonable that someone might equate 'rancidity' with a 'skunky' smell.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 14 2013, 10:03pm

Post #6 of 7 (49 views)
Shortcut
Several years ago, [In reply to] Can't Post

I worked on a project with several colleagues from Germany. Our project was based in the US, so the German folks would come over for three weeks, including weekends, then go home for a week. Of course, during the weekends, they explored the US, learning about the country and its customs.

Several weeks into the project, the team started talking about food differences between the US and Germany, and us US folks were astonished to learn that our German colleagues had never tasted peanut butter. They had never heard of it before! I resolved to introduce them to this taste sensation, but they were surprisingly reluctant. They were very polite, but I could not get them to try it. Finally, I took a couple of the single-serving peanut butter packs from our hotel dining room, and brought it out during the afternoon coffee break. I also brought along a bag of mini peanut butter cups, thinking the mixture of peanut butter and chocolate would not be easy to resist.

Well, they liked the peanut butter, and it turned out that their reluctance stemmed from a misunderstanding. When we talked of peanut butter, they thought of butter with bits of peanuts chopped up. Needless to say, we were equally horrified by that idea, and we were glad to show them that the real peanut butter is completely different. I must say that they loved the peanut butter cups with chocolate more than the peanut butter, but at least we were able to show them a part of the US that was new to them.

burgahobbit
Rohan

Sep 15 2013, 12:51am

Post #7 of 7 (45 views)
Shortcut
Thanks a lot Magpie [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the time you spent and for all the information. This could be it, I'll tell my folks about it! Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.