Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It's FIESTA FRIDAY!!! Don't walk under the Ladder to get in!!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

bborchar
Rohan

Sep 15 2013, 1:02am

Post #101 of 119 (91 views)
Shortcut
Awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

Love those, although mine wouldn't be as yummy ;)

"The thrill of the chase, the blood pumping through your veins...just the two of us against the rest of the world!" ~ Sherlock

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 15 2013, 1:55am

Post #102 of 119 (84 views)
Shortcut
My, my [In reply to] Can't Post

That is really beautiful. I love the colours. Lucky girl!

bborchar
Rohan

Sep 15 2013, 2:11am

Post #103 of 119 (108 views)
Shortcut
Thank you :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I very rarely do blankets (I'm more of a clothes/dolls sort of person), but I needed to use up some yarn, and we're going to give her room a big-girl makeover soon, so I figured she could have a beautiful new afghan for her bed when we do :) She likes pinks and purples, and if I'm going to spend a couple of weeks working on it, it's going to be pretty when I'm done with it :) The best part is that the yarn is a wool blend, so it's very, very soft and warm. My great-grandmother (who taught me how to crochet when I was 7) always had the ugliest and scratchiest yarn because she would never spend the money on nicer yarn...so now I have a bunch of brown/yellow/lime green/purple striped afghans in a cedar chest that I never use because they are so uncomfortable and don't match anything at all in my house (or anyone else's, I imagine XD).

"The thrill of the chase, the blood pumping through your veins...just the two of us against the rest of the world!" ~ Sherlock

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Sep 15 2013, 12:29pm

Post #104 of 119 (68 views)
Shortcut
Sounds delicious! Have fun! :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Sep 15 2013, 6:25pm

Post #105 of 119 (66 views)
Shortcut
Oh, yummyyummyyummy!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Might I suggest another trip out to the cabin soon? And of course, we all bring favorite recipes?AngelicCool

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 15 2013, 7:12pm

Post #106 of 119 (62 views)
Shortcut
*tucks napkin in collar* OK! I'm ready! :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

5th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013
1st draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

cats16
Valinor

Sep 16 2013, 3:02am

Post #107 of 119 (56 views)
Shortcut
Whoops, I'm late! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi gramma, and everyone else, hope your weekend--now that it's almost over--was great! Wink

I would've joined you on that lemonade, gramma (I hope the auction went well!). I had quite a tasty one myself this afternoon.

I can say that my weekend was very calm compared to everyone with the terrible weather situations in Colorado and NZ. Hope the clean up process (once it finally begins) goes smoothly with no additional problems! SmileSmile

Happy to say that AUJ CHOW discussions look to be very good so far, with the first week *hopefully* cracking 100 posts (only through day 3, too!)

Everyone have a great evening/morning/afternoon wherever in the world you're sitting. Smile

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Sep 16 2013, 3:17am

Post #108 of 119 (54 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

That sounds scary. Is the fire contained yet?

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Sep 16 2013, 3:19am

Post #109 of 119 (60 views)
Shortcut
17,494 homes damaged, 1,502 homes destroyed, 11,700 people evacuated, 1,253 people unaccounted for [In reply to] Can't Post

And miles and miles of roads out. It's going to be a major clean-up.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 16 2013, 4:47am

Post #110 of 119 (56 views)
Shortcut
Wow, those are some big numbers. [In reply to] Can't Post

Has the surge petered out yet, or are down-stream communities still preparing for what's to come?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 16 2013, 5:52am

Post #111 of 119 (54 views)
Shortcut
That's dreadful [In reply to] Can't Post

I really hope some of those 'unaccounted for' people turn up. Frown

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Sep 16 2013, 6:03am

Post #112 of 119 (55 views)
Shortcut
It's out! [In reply to] Can't Post

They got it out that morning, and it never got within sight of our house, though that's not saying much since we can't see far into the forest from here. But still, that smoke was pretty thick at 3 am so I knew it wasn't too far away!

Still, nothing like what your area's going through. This was all just a bit of inconvenience, really, in the grand scheme of things. People around you are going through a major disaster, and it's just so sad reading about it all!

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Sep 16 2013, 9:08am

Post #113 of 119 (63 views)
Shortcut
Mind-boggling. [In reply to] Can't Post

That's just dreadful! I'm so sorry you are having to endure it all. We've got some idea what it's like to go through natural disasters, though I think you may have it worse than we did. You just have to take one day at a time, as you slowly realize it's going to be a long, long time before things get back to some semblance of how they used to be. Hang in there -- we're sending lots of comforting thoughts from afar!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Sep 16 2013, 11:30am

Post #114 of 119 (52 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Ro. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not really directly affected at all, except for a tiny bit of water in the basement, and worrying about my daughter, who has chosen to drive all over the state in the midst of this to take some friends to an anime con. I'll be glad when she gets home, though her neighborhood was evacuated briefly yesterday. But somehow I can't tear myself away from the news.

And of course a very selfish part of me is sad that I won't be able to get to my beloved mountains for a long, long time, since all the roads I could take out there have washed out. It's a very minor inconvenience compared to the stats I quoted, and I feel guilty for grieving for that when so many are suffering so much.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Sep 16 2013, 11:59am

Post #115 of 119 (50 views)
Shortcut
Sterling is expecting the surge to hit on Wednesday. [In reply to] Can't Post

And I suppose it could affect towns all the way into Nebraska. So far it's traveled about a hundred miles. It didn't help that we had really heavy rains on Sunday.

The death toll is still going up back in the mountains, but not, thank God, anything like what it was 37 years ago. The authorities have learned a lot from that one, and things like reverse-911 calls are saving lives.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Sep 16 2013, 12:38pm

Post #116 of 119 (46 views)
Shortcut
Whew! [In reply to] Can't Post

Smoke at 3AM is never a good thing. I've been there, but like the flood, it's never affected me directly. I'm glad you're safe!

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 16 2013, 4:43pm

Post #117 of 119 (48 views)
Shortcut
We had water in our basement too [In reply to] Can't Post

Even though we're high up on a hill, the ground was so saturated that our clay soil couldn't take any more and one of our window wells filled up with water above the level of the bottom of the window. Luckily, our basement is unfinished and we don't have anything valuable or dear to us stored on the side where it happened. B.G. invented an ingenious way to deal with it: he put the long end of a bath towel up against the window and the other end in a bucket and, voila, it wicked the water right into the bucket!

Yesterday, however, we had an hour-ling deluge and water started rising in the window well right away. Even thought we changed out the bucket for a big plastic storage bin, water was seeping in behind the towels and pooling on the floor almost faster than we could deal with it. Luckily, another towel, another storage bin and a bit of frantic mopping later, we're dry-ish again, though I'm staying home to babysit the window well as it's supposed to rain again this afternoon and B.G. already missed two days of work because of closed roads.

Like you, Aunt Dora, we feel supremely lucky that our residual from this storm is just a damp basement. I've never seen flooding this bad, or this pervasive, that caused this much damage here in Colorado. It's amazing what mother nature can do, and my heart goes out to all the people who lost their homes, their streets and their neighborhoods.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Sep 16 2013, 9:07pm

Post #118 of 119 (38 views)
Shortcut
He's such a clever guy! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll have to remember that trick when we have another one of these in a thousand years (I know, that's not really what a "thousand-year flood" means.) I'm so glad you are safe and relatively dry. Localized rainfall, like you and I experienced, is way different from being in the path of a swollen river.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Sep 17 2013, 3:58pm

Post #119 of 119 (37 views)
Shortcut
Me too. Many of them are turning up. [In reply to] Can't Post

Cell phone service and internet connections are out in the isolated mountain towns. The National Guard helicopters rescued 300 people yesterday, and hope to rescue as many today.

This is dreadful, but not as dreadful as what you've been living with all this time. And so many areas around here are perfectly normal, if you just don't drive too far.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.