Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
so is WB ever going to.....whats the word im looking for
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Sep 15 2013, 6:23pm

Post #26 of 32 (122 views)
Shortcut
Catching Fire is likely to exceed Smaug gross, Thor II is likely to fall just under it. [In reply to] Can't Post

If Thor sees approximately the same Avengerslinked boost in interest that Iron Man saw, that movie should make around 275 to 290 million dollars, solidifying it as a blockbuster, but leaving it shy of An Unexpected's take. Assuming that Desolation does about equal to or better than An Unexpected's pick up, that should keep An Unexpected in good stead to come in at number 3 for the year, behind Iron Man 3 and Catching Fire, provided that Catching fire does as well as Hunger Games. An Unexpected out performed Hunger Games massively on the International measurement, and Desolation will likely do the same. But all is uncertain prognostication at this point.

In Reply To
Various media outlets are picking insane interest in 2 November movies which they rank as #1 and #2 most anticipated by a large margin. Actually, the margin between #1 and #2 is even more staggering than between #2 and #3. So WB would definitely want to attach the trailer or one or both. It looks like some records will be broken in November and Iron Man 3 may hold its horses as far as boxoffice winner goes.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

StarGodziller
Bree

Sep 15 2013, 9:42pm

Post #27 of 32 (100 views)
Shortcut
I remember... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Return of the King didn't get much promotion either until September 2003 when the first and only trailer came out. The first time we got to see footage of it was on the Two Towers DVD.

(This post was edited by StarGodziller on Sep 15 2013, 9:45pm)

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 15 2013, 11:43pm

Post #28 of 32 (82 views)
Shortcut
None is a WB movie [In reply to] Can't Post

and studios don't always attach trailers to their movies. They simply go with the best exposure they can get or exposure to the right audience (it's pointless to attach a Woody Allen trailer to Iron Man 3, for example). WB attached TDKR prologue to Mission Impossible 4 on IMAX which is a Paramount movie I think.

I'm not really coy, just don't feel like promoting other movies after a little incident I had with another movie praise that I had in a similar thread. But to answer your question about falling flat, Ender's Game could be that. Other two just have way too much anticipation on their side to miss out on a strong opening weekend.

"RadagaStoner deserves no mercy!" Tauriel the Radagast Slayer, the Chief of Inglorious Elfguards

Tauriel saved us from Itaril. Never forget.

StarGodziller
Bree

Sep 15 2013, 11:57pm

Post #29 of 32 (88 views)
Shortcut
I confess [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw Pacific Rim (which I personally loved) twice but I was really disappointed that there was no Desolation of Smaug trailer attached to either showing I went to. I thought it was really odd given it was a geek oriented 3-D Warner production and would have been a perfect opportunity to show it. They showed Unexpected Journey trailers at pretty much all the showings of Dark Knight Rises I saw. Also no Desolation trailer shown before the screening of Elysium I saw either which is also kind of funny given Blomkamp's connection to Jackson and the fact that Weta was involved.

(This post was edited by StarGodziller on Sep 15 2013, 11:58pm)

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 16 2013, 12:16am

Post #30 of 32 (84 views)
Shortcut
It doesn't work that way [In reply to] Can't Post

Neither Pacific Rim nor Elysium had strong tracking, so it would be a waste of money to attach trailers to them. Especially since they are more geek oriented than mainstream oriented movies. You don't need to promote Hobbit to geeks who already have the ticket so to speak. You need to catch casual viewers who are on the fence. For example, Tauriel-oriented trailer with Catching Fire would send the message "if you like Katniss, maybe you check out another female archer." It doesn't have to work, fangirls could dismiss the Elf as an imitator and get put off by fantasy,etc but they could also be interested. Theirs is to try and reach a portion of that audience. Or trailer with Thor 2 would send the message that if you like Thor battles and fantasy worlds, not to mention hot men, maybe you check out Hobbit's battles, worlds and men. Smile

Also, outside of movie buffs nobody knows or remembers that Jackson produced District 9 so attaching his trailer to former protégé's movie wouldn't mean anything. Same goes for effects studio. WETA isn't exactly a household name cause effects studios usually aren't. They are more stealth, background wizards.

"RadagaStoner deserves no mercy!" Tauriel the Radagast Slayer, the Chief of Inglorious Elfguards

Tauriel saved us from Itaril. Never forget.

TheDragonKhan
The Shire

Sep 17 2013, 12:59am

Post #31 of 32 (60 views)
Shortcut
lol [In reply to] Can't Post

some clown on imdb just posted "oh noes still no blog i think it might be delayed" filming is done. :)

(This post was edited by Altaira on Sep 17 2013, 3:59am)

TheDragonKhan
The Shire

Sep 17 2013, 1:01am

Post #32 of 32 (71 views)
Shortcut
it will be like this [In reply to] Can't Post

DOS
CF
THOR

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.