Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Local report from the National Weather Service: "Biblical rainfall amounts"
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Sep 15 2013, 12:33pm

Post #26 of 31 (48 views)
Shortcut
Nope, I was wrong. Estes still is cut off. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've seen photos of the Peak to Peak road collapsing (that's been happening a lot all over: the water washes the soil away under the road, and then the asphalt collapses.) And the news couldn't possibly have been right to begin with about being able to get down from Nederland to Boulder. So the only way in or out is over Trail Ridge, and that's being reserved for emergencies.

The National Guard is saying this is the most people they've rescued in one event since Hurricane Katrina.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Sep 15 2013, 5:33pm

Post #27 of 31 (38 views)
Shortcut
This is unbelievable. Even with [In reply to] Can't Post

the videos you've posted, I still can't grasp it or picture it.

What I wish is if it would drown all those darn beetles (I assume they just climb up the trees and are fine) and somehow skip over all the trees and houses! Frown

Will your school likely be closed tomorrow, or used as an evac. center?

It's a good thing Rocky Ridge Music Center is closed by now, although I think sometimes there are still people up there winterizing the place. Unsure

Kelly of Water's Edge
Lorien

Sep 16 2013, 1:01am

Post #28 of 31 (34 views)
Shortcut
Just saw on the news [In reply to] Can't Post

that some people are being told that if they don't get out now, they could be without food and fresh water for a few weeks, and the National Guard won't be coming back for a while for their own safety.

Stay safe!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Sep 16 2013, 3:15am

Post #29 of 31 (28 views)
Shortcut
My daughter's neighborhood was evacuated briefly today, [In reply to] Can't Post

but she was out of town, and they rescinded the evacuation before she really had time to worry.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

Kelly of Water's Edge
Lorien

Sep 16 2013, 5:38pm

Post #30 of 31 (32 views)
Shortcut
Glad she's safe. [In reply to] Can't Post

Latest article on National Parks Traveler states that the worst hit area in your neck of the woods seems to be the section of Horseshoe Park near Endovalley. It will take much more time to assess the backcountry, which might be significantly damaged because the fires wiped out some protection from erosion.

The article also warns that this year's Elk Fest in Estes Park is in severe danger of cancellation, but no official word yet. I haven't seen anything yet about how this has affected the wildlife. I would imagine this is a very bad time for this to happen, as we're getting into the time of year when they should be focused on eating to prep for winter - and the rut in the case of the Elk.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Sep 16 2013, 7:20pm

Post #31 of 31 (36 views)
Shortcut
Interesting. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've seen photos of the Alluvial Fan in that area, looking pretty grim. Back in 1982 there was a huge flood there when a dam broke on a high mountain lake. It gouged out the mountainside and piled up there. Now, twenty years later, the trees are starting to come back. They didn't replace the dam, but I guess a lot of water came pouring down that channel anyway.

What makes me saddest is the Big Thompson canyon. It may be a long, long time before we're able to get up to the park again. It's a minor matter compared to all the suffering that's going on, but we used to go up almost every weekend, and it's hard not being able to.

I haven't seen anything about wildlife yet either. I suppose there may have been some casualties, but I would hope most of the critters were able to run to higher ground.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.