Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Elvish language translation

pmydon

Sep 12 2013, 1:30pm

Post #1 of 12 (432 views)
Shortcut
Elvish language translation Can't Post

This is my first post on this forum so please be gentle with me.

I am working on a puzzle. It involved translating an Elvish script. I suspect there is further work to be done once that is translated, but I cannot decipher it even after various online searches for Elvish translators/charts. It has something to do with Legolas, so I have assumed it is Sindarin or a form of Sindarin.

Any help would be appreciated.

Elves script

(This post was edited by pmydon on Sep 12 2013, 1:33pm)

Cirashala
Grey Havens

Sep 12 2013, 5:20pm

Post #2 of 12 (339 views)
Shortcut
David Salo's book/blog [In reply to] Can't Post

I would recommend A Gateway to Sindarin by David Salo- he is a linguist who has written that book using as many of Tolkien's notes on Sindarin as possible- and he includes a section on script.

If you can transpose the script to the Roman alphabet (the one we use), then you can use the glossary in the back to translate the words.

It is an excellent source for this- and he also has a blog too which you might find helpful.

I think LOTR or something may also have an appendix section in the back dedicated to writing as well.

Hope that helps! Smile

Race is meaningless. We all bleed red-no matter who or what we are. What matters is the heart. For each race has those with good hearts and those with bad hearts. You have a good heart. You do not deserve to die.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Sep 16 2013, 6:42pm

Post #3 of 12 (305 views)
Shortcut
An attempt. [In reply to] Can't Post

It is some form of direction. A garbled translation might read like this:

Bold type is sure.
Italic is untranslated Elvish.

?In the/between? ?head? valley cangayn and five ?three then? and seven ?six?-sot and seven-ayn and three north ?between? four ?two city? and six-ayn and seven west

(-ayn) and (-sot) puzzle me. I have no guess.

The ?'d portions are assuming transliteration errors, and take much license with the original text.

Context might help with more guesses.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 16 2013, 7:00pm

Post #4 of 12 (294 views)
Shortcut
Good job. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's just a list of jibberish numbers. I googled "and three north, Tolkien" in case it was a sentence somewhere. Turns out, the very same question has been asked on this website/forum. They deciphered it:

The [?] something forty-and-five thirty-and-seven, six thousand-and-eighty-and-three north. One four, two hundred-and-sixty-and-seven west.

And then suggest it is lat/lon coordinates. Whatever it is, it has nothing (explicitly) to do with Tolkien.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Sep 16 2013, 7:07pm

Post #5 of 12 (293 views)
Shortcut
Yeah..... [In reply to] Can't Post

A bit weird. The original is a mixture of Dialects, Modes, and Fonts, so that complicated the issue.

A mystery we may never solve!!

Hey, OP, where did you get this!?

pmydon

Sep 16 2013, 7:49pm

Post #6 of 12 (292 views)
Shortcut
Geocaching puzzle [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks everyone. Still not clear, but a lot better than my translation which was pure gibberish.

This came from a Geocaching puzzle. I would expect the final answer to be in the following format and within a mile of

N53 44.802
W 1 5.174

The translation above of

N54 73.376
W 1 4.762

whilst maybe an accurate translation may need a final twist, perhaps converting the base of the number.

pmydon

Sep 16 2013, 9:55pm

Post #7 of 12 (285 views)
Shortcut
Puzzle solved! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Thanks everyone. Still not clear, but a lot better than my translation which was pure gibberish.

This came from a Geocaching puzzle. I would expect the final answer to be in the following format and within a mile of

N53 44.802
W 1 5.174

The translation above of

N54 73.376
W 1 4.762

whilst maybe an accurate translation may need a final twist, perhaps converting the base of the number.

OK I have it now. Using the translation you guys kindly provided

N54 73.376
W 1 4.257

This is in the Elfish duodecimal system. Convert it to our decimal system then you get

N53 43.951
W 1 4.367

Once again many thanks for everyone taking the time to help me solve my puzzle. It was kind of you and is appreciated.

Regards

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Sep 17 2013, 3:30am

Post #8 of 12 (277 views)
Shortcut
I don't have a chart handy [In reply to] Can't Post

but I'd guess that might be somewhere in Scotland. Anyone want to check?

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 17 2013, 3:37am

Post #9 of 12 (301 views)
Shortcut
google maps [In reply to] Can't Post

Try this link.

Google maps have these long urls so I'm not sure if the link will work. I just googled the coordinates.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Sep 17 2013, 4:25am

Post #10 of 12 (274 views)
Shortcut
Let is know what you find... [In reply to] Can't Post

If you don't mind, of course!!

pmydon

Sep 17 2013, 8:18am

Post #11 of 12 (270 views)
Shortcut
Final destination [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
If you don't mind, of course!!

It won't be for a few weeks yet. I live over a hundred miles from there. There are a whole bunch of puzzle caches in the area which I am working my way through. This was the pentultimate. Having taken a crash course on Tolkien (although I have always been a fan having read LOTRs back in the 1970s), I now need to tale a crash course on how to read music for the last puzzle.

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Sep 17 2013, 2:35pm

Post #12 of 12 (283 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

at least I guessed the right island.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.