Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What if: Elijah Wood had been cast as HP and Daniel Radcliffe as Frodo

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Sep 9 2013, 9:21pm

Post #1 of 11 (275 views)
Shortcut
What if: Elijah Wood had been cast as HP and Daniel Radcliffe as Frodo Can't Post

....setting aside the age differences and assuming they played the characters as each others actual ages when each did the role...good result? Bad? Indifferent? Daniel Radcliffe is now 24 and Wood 32. Can you see DR doing Frodo at his current age?

I think they were great choices for their original roles but do not think they would be ideal playing each others roles. Despite physical similarities, they do have a different manner about them, or at least as portrayed in various roles. Thoughts?

http://www.usmagazine.com/...dcliffe-wood-468.jpg

http://www.thefreshfilms.com/...rs/images/woode5.jpg Young E.W.

http://www.dancaster.com/ejw/foreveryoung31.jpg

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Sep 9 2013, 9:24pm)

dubulous
Rohan

Sep 9 2013, 9:58pm

Post #2 of 11 (201 views)
Shortcut
Bad [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Elijah as a child would perhaps have been fine as Harry Potter, but I can't imagine Daniel Radcliffe as Frodo. I haven't seen him in anything after HP so maybe he has improved since then, but I will always remember him as an incredibly wooden Harry. At least he did look the part, though.

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Sep 10 2013, 2:32am

Post #3 of 11 (190 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

No, IMO I doubt either would fit well in the other's role. I don't know much of Radcliffe's work, outside of the one Harry Potter movie I watched, and The Woman in Black, which bored me to tears. And while I felt Wood did a fine job as Frodo, I just do not picture Elijah Wood when reading the book (and I saw the first movie before reading the books). I definitely would have cast someone older and chubbier.

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 10 2013, 6:23pm

Post #4 of 11 (161 views)
Shortcut
nobody would notice the difference [In reply to] Can't Post

cause nobody can differentiate between them anyway. Same effect.

I like Dan much more, though. He stands up for the right things and has really good head on his shoulders.

"RadagaStoner deserves no mercy!" Tauriel the Radagast Slayer, the Chief of Inglorious Elfguards

Tauriel saved us from Itaril. Never forget.

Bellawen Bolger of Bree
The Shire

Sep 11 2013, 1:13am

Post #5 of 11 (142 views)
Shortcut
Dang, they look alike!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Though Elijah has those startling blue eyes. I had such a crush on him when I was a teen, even though he was younger than me. I could see that he would grow up to be something special as an actor from his early roles. But even so, I couldn't see him as Harry Potter. It's too bad Elijah wasn't 32 when LOTR was being made, he just doesn't seem like a 50 year old to me, though I love his portrayal.
As for Dan, I can't see him as Frodo either. I guess it's because I spent my 30's watching these movies, and they grew into those characters for me.

My first post as Bellawen Bolger of Bree! Yay! (formerly Aethelwyne Bolger, a mouthful!)Laugh

Patty
Immortal

Sep 11 2013, 11:45am

Post #6 of 11 (131 views)
Shortcut
Oh, thank goodness THAT didn't happen. [In reply to] Can't Post

I really liked Elijah, although he was younger looking and thinner than I had always pictured Frodo to be. DR, not so much. I only watched one of the HP, and I was not impressed.

Permanent address: Into the West

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 11 2013, 12:24pm

Post #7 of 11 (124 views)
Shortcut
I think both are pretty crappy actors [In reply to] Can't Post

but I like Dan's personality. Elijah is just creepy.

"RadagaStoner deserves no mercy!" Tauriel the Radagast Slayer, the Chief of Inglorious Elfguards

Tauriel saved us from Itaril. Never forget.

Misto
Lorien

Sep 12 2013, 4:35pm

Post #8 of 11 (88 views)
Shortcut
Same difference, no? [In reply to] Can't Post

Tbh, I'm not in awe of the acting of either. They did a decent job for their respective age but neither are amongst the first 50 or so actors I would name for outstanding acting - now or then. So I really don't see how it would have made much of a difference.

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 12 2013, 4:45pm

Post #9 of 11 (86 views)
Shortcut
Welcome in your new identity Bellawen! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Though Elijah has those startling blue eyes. I had such a crush on him when I was a teen, even though he was younger than me. I could see that he would grow up to be something special as an actor from his early roles. But even so, I couldn't see him as Harry Potter. It's too bad Elijah wasn't 32 when LOTR was being made, he just doesn't seem like a 50 year old to me, though I love his portrayal.
As for Dan, I can't see him as Frodo either. I guess it's because I spent my 30's watching these movies, and they grew into those characters for me.

My first post as Bellawen Bolger of Bree! Yay! (formerly Aethelwyne Bolger, a mouthful!)Laugh

I cannot picture anyone else as Frodo, for my part. I thought he brought a huge amount of soul to Frodo.
As for Daniel I can't really weigh in - have never watched HP fully, just dribs and drabs. I don't see how people confuse the actors in real life though!

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Sep 12 2013, 4:52pm

Post #10 of 11 (87 views)
Shortcut
I think there are differences. At least, from what I have seen [In reply to] Can't Post

on screen and in character, DR has a more serious, less expressive face and vocal range than EW. However, since they are in character it is hard to judge without seeing them in more roles. I have no issue with their acting (not having read HP I cannot comment on the book characterization). It seems both were able to emote as required.

Darkstone
Immortal

Sep 12 2013, 5:44pm

Post #11 of 11 (91 views)
Shortcut
An 18 year old Frodo was bad enough.. [In reply to] Can't Post

...but 11?

Anyway, both were experienced and critically acclaimed child actors. And both have Frodo's cleft chin, though Wood's is more prominent.

I do think Wood's experience with Ang Lee in the preproduction of The Perfect Storm helped him immensely with LOTR. And then there's those "bright eyes" Frodo had. Still, he did occasionally drift into an American accent.

On the other hand, Radcliffe probably would have made quite an impressive Frodo in his darker moments. However, Radcliffe's difficulties with DCD may have made the grueling 15 month shooting schedule in New Zealand problematical. But he does seem to have the accent down pat. And I do think Radcliffe's manner might have made the Frodo-Sam relationship a bit more like that in the book.

All in all, a toss-up. Under other circumstance we might well be going "Wood as Frodo and Radcliffe as Potter? Nahh!!!!"

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Sometime hours and hours hence:
In The Green Dragon two ales could buy
And drank the one less filling I
And that has made all the difference.
- The Ale Less Filling, by Robert Frostymug

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.