Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
A Mayor of Laketown Thread!

Bombadil
Half-elven

Sep 8 2013, 10:22pm

Post #1 of 15 (788 views)
Shortcut
A Mayor of Laketown Thread! Can't Post

With PJ & Stephen Fry in the Role!
could be... & Likely
Complicated... Comical, and
of Course
"Simply Brillient"

... Allows SF
to Amaze us ALL
some More!

Imput?

Bomby

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 9 2013, 12:14am

Post #2 of 15 (401 views)
Shortcut
I'm thinking 'pompously comical' [In reply to] Can't Post

or comically pompous. Either way. Wink Though I think there will be some vein of vulnerability, and seriousness, relating to his unhappy end, if we follow it through that way.

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

DeadRabbits
Lorien

Sep 9 2013, 7:00am

Post #3 of 15 (321 views)
Shortcut
I imagine him as Lord Melchett from Black Adder... [In reply to] Can't Post

... for obvious reasons, as Melchett was played by Stephen Fry. I'm sure he will deliver a memorable performance, although not quite as silly as Lord Melchett... Fry will pour equal parts of creepiness and comedy into this role. Now that he's cast I can't imagine anyone else as the Master of Laketown!

Lord Melchett

Now now Bill, you swore this was a battle between warriors, not a bunch of miss nancies, so warriors is what I brought

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Sep 9 2013, 12:58pm

Post #4 of 15 (267 views)
Shortcut
My image of the Master of Lake-town [In reply to] Can't Post

I have usually pictured the Master of Esgaroth as on of those lean, ambitious men of which Shakespeare's Julius Caesar was always so wary. Jackson seems to have chosen a different direction, which is fine except that I think that he may have Stephen Fry's Master go more than a bit over-the-top. I am guessing that he will be more of a corpulent tick sucking at the town's lifeblood.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Thranderz
Rohan

Sep 9 2013, 3:02pm

Post #5 of 15 (233 views)
Shortcut
I think he'll be a bit of a general crook... [In reply to] Can't Post

Richard Nixon style Wink

I simply walked into Mordor.

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Sep 10 2013, 12:01am

Post #6 of 15 (158 views)
Shortcut
All signs point to this being the case (as it is with almost everything else in this adaptation)... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that he may have Stephen Fry's Master go more than a bit over-the-top.

Apparently, the Master of Lake-town will have a fondness for dining on a particularly disgusting pair of organs that some folks know as "Rocky Mountain oysters"...

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Sep 10 2013, 12:10am

Post #7 of 15 (151 views)
Shortcut
Don't know why I think this... [In reply to] Can't Post

relating to his unhappy end, if we follow it through that way.

...but I have a feeling that somehow, in some way, the Master will be linked to the Necromancer.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Sep 10 2013, 12:32am

Post #8 of 15 (152 views)
Shortcut
I can see that [In reply to] Can't Post

However, I always pictured the Mayor of Laketown as being Machiavellian.

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 10 2013, 12:59pm

Post #9 of 15 (113 views)
Shortcut
Interesting - showing a connection or influence you think? // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

relating to his unhappy end, if we follow it through that way.

...but I have a feeling that somehow, in some way, the Master will be linked to the Necromancer.

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Bombadil
Half-elven

Sep 10 2013, 1:41pm

Post #10 of 15 (106 views)
Shortcut
Brethil, could "Alfred" be a "Grima-type" of Spy?.. [In reply to] Can't Post

from Dol Guldar?

...Influencing the Mayor,
or even.. "Poisionin' his Mind?"
Could Alfred
have a
Long-lost
Pallentir?

Bomby Knows Nothing of Thizz...

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Sep 10 2013, 1:48pm

Post #11 of 15 (107 views)
Shortcut
I had assumed... [In reply to] Can't Post

at first blush, that Alfred would be the one running to Bard, at some point, telling him what is going on. I would think that he would be a mini-hero who, rising up from servile subjection, helps save the town at the right moment.

Just how my imagination puts it out there....

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Sep 10 2013, 5:20pm

Post #12 of 15 (89 views)
Shortcut
The Master [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know why, I just have that feeling...

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Sep 10 2013, 5:30pm

Post #13 of 15 (89 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I have that feeling about every major antagonistic character of the film series (except Thranduil, if we want to consider him antagonistic based on DoS events.) Azog, Bolg ( I think we have actually been told this about him), and the Master.

Though I think the Master's connection may be less direct and more tenuous, more a matter of his greed and corruption making him vulnerable to manipulation than any deliberate decision by him to ally with Orcs or the Necromancer.

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 10 2013, 7:47pm

Post #14 of 15 (72 views)
Shortcut
I'm in the dark too Bomby... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
from Dol Guldar?

...Influencing the Mayor,
or even.. "Poisionin' his Mind?"
Could Alfred
have a
Long-lost
Pallentir?

Bomby Knows Nothing of Thizz...

I haven't followed the speculation or the images that closely - I'm not even sure what Alfred will look like. I'm sure I must have seen some sort of pic but I don't recall it. I have seen the stills of Stephen in costume, and he has a very well-fed, unctuous sort of look to him. If he goes down the path of being actually 'evil' then maybe there is an outside force acting on is weakness of character (Alfred, or as Salmacis thinks maybe the Necromancer, but perhaps anonymously?) But I can also see him existing as a free-standing, self-serving character; who does advance the story a bit as well as giving Laketown some local color and by serving as a contrast to Thorin's more noble end, both having been tainted by the same failing.

It remains to be seen which is the bigger corrupter: the Mayor corrupting his servant, or the servant (as you say) whispering in the Master's ear in Grima style. Not sure if he would warrant any artifacts - maybe some gold greasing his palm, brought by creepy, shadowy folk?

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Sep 11 2013, 3:37pm

Post #15 of 15 (60 views)
Shortcut
The fate of the Master? [In reply to] Can't Post

If Gollum does (as had been once rumored) appear again in the trilogy, I wonder if he is the means to the end of the Master of Esgaroth. We only learn through Tolkien that the Master dies abandoned and alone in the Wilds beyond Lake-town. What if his final vision is of a pair of glowing eyes and long, thin fingers reaching for his throat?

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.