Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
What we know of DOS(confirmed list)

flameofudun
Lorien

Sep 7 2013, 8:01pm

Post #1 of 20 (1305 views)
Shortcut
What we know of DOS(confirmed list) Can't Post

-Flashback or prolouge will be seen of thrain leaving for wandering after being stricken with greif at the death of thror, after the war of the dwarves and orcs, shortly after the battle of azanzulbizar. (Confirmed by DOS empire magazine)

-in same or different flashback or prologue gandalf will be seen in dol guldur getting map and key from thrain who is imprisoned in dol guldur and thrain a death. This scene will be in "unfortunate circumstances" for thrain and will involve torture. (Confirmed by phillipa boyens)

- bolg will be present in DOS (confirmed by peter Jackson)

- atleast 5 orcs will pursue the company into laketown (confirmed by empire DOS magazine)

-legolas will be stand-offish with his father (confirmed by empire DOS magazine)

-thranduil has the reputation of being "one of the greatest warriors of all time" ((confirmed by empire DOS magazine)

-the company will be pursued by wood elves on their barrels (confirmed by empire DOS magazine)

- it will be winter in the course of the movie (confirmed by DOS trailer and video blog)

-gandalf and radaghast will investigate dol guldur on their own( confirmed by DOS trailer and video blog)

-gandalf and radaghast will investigate the nazgul "tombs" in the High fells (confirmed by DOS trailer and video blog and DOS sneak peek)

-smaug WILL appear in DOS (DOS trailer)

-Bain will appear in DOS and will be a young boy (DOS video blog)
* - bard will have a backstory (confirmed by Empire article)

- spiders will communicate so only they and bilbo can hear( confirmed by original AUJ empire article)

- legolas will apprehend the dwarves after they are attacked by the spiders (confirmed by DOS trailer)

- other than a few moments where old themes are re-used, DOS will feature an entirely new soundtrack, for themes like mirkwood, smaug bard beorn and laketown.

''We are very dangerous over short distances''

-Gimli

(This post was edited by flameofudun on Sep 7 2013, 8:03pm)

flameofudun
Lorien

Sep 7 2013, 8:09pm

Post #2 of 20 (649 views)
Shortcut
I would also like to say [In reply to] Can't Post

Feel free to add details, make sure they are sources. I would make a request to the mods to pin this topic if possible. If not then that's understandable. Thank you very much and I will make additions when necessary.

-Gimli

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Sep 7 2013, 8:29pm

Post #3 of 20 (644 views)
Shortcut
Elaborating [In reply to] Can't Post

-legolas will be stand-offish with his father (confirmed by empire DOS magazine)

Tauriel will be even more headstrong, questioning Thranduil's policy of isolationism and bucking his orders to avoid outsiders (The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Annual).

- it will be winter in the course of the movie (confirmed by DOS trailer and video blog)

Not a huge surprise since Bilbo figures out the riddle of the Secret Door on Durin's Day--the Dwarves' New Year, falling near the end of Autumn (The Hobbit).

-gandalf and radaghast will investigate the nazgul "tombs" in the High fells (confirmed by DOS trailer and video blog and DOS sneak peek)

Pretty much confirmed to be a flashback, since we know that this happened while Thorin & Co. were crossing the Misty Mountains. It is another candidate for the prologue (The WETA Chronicles).

- legolas will apprehend the dwarves after they are attacked by the spiders (confirmed by DOS trailer)

And we saw Tauriel in the same sequence.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Sep 7 2013, 8:34pm)

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Sep 7 2013, 8:55pm

Post #4 of 20 (569 views)
Shortcut
I didn't know that [In reply to] Can't Post

Pretty much confirmed to be a flashback, since we know that this happened while Thorin & Co. were crossing the Misty Mountains. It is another candidate for the prologue (The WETA Chronicles).

what do the Chronicles say about this? I Always assumed that Gandalf went straight after the dwarves when he left Rivendell

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Sep 7 2013, 9:12pm

Post #5 of 20 (555 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf and Radagast at High Fells [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
what do the Chronicles say about this? I Always assumed that Gandalf went straight after the dwarves when he left Rivendell

I found the quotation on another thread:

While Gandalf seeks answers beneath the mountains, Thorin tries to lead his company over them., and finds himself at the mercy of elemental forces both natural and not.

Unfortunately, I can't tell off-hand which AUJ WETA Chronicles book it was from.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

flameofudun
Lorien

Sep 7 2013, 10:01pm

Post #6 of 20 (517 views)
Shortcut
We know also [In reply to] Can't Post

-beorn will have giant honey bees as in book-DOS annual
-bard is also a bit of a bargeman in addition to guardsman-DOS annual

-Gimli

LordotRings93
Rohan

Sep 7 2013, 10:48pm

Post #7 of 20 (509 views)
Shortcut
Thorin/Gandalf in Bree [In reply to] Can't Post

This isn't CONFIRMED confirmed, but all sources point to yes, with two articles citing the Prancing Pony and PJ's statement of DoS opening on a familiar but unexpected place.

Lover of Medieval Fantasy
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Na Vedui
Rohan

Sep 7 2013, 11:01pm

Post #8 of 20 (511 views)
Shortcut
Certainly filmed [In reply to] Can't Post

because it appears in some Mirkwood images: Bombur being asleep (as per the book) and being carried by the others. But I don't know of any confirmation that it's in the finished cut, has anyone seen any statement about this?

flameofudun
Lorien

Sep 7 2013, 11:23pm

Post #9 of 20 (508 views)
Shortcut
And these [In reply to] Can't Post

-beorn chases the company into his house, but helps them after he figures out more about their quest- DOS annual
-beorn further presses gandalf to once again go to dol guldur-DOS annual
-Beorn is the last of his kin, with the rest being hunted down by agog and his tribe-DOS annual
-Thranduil has issues an order that his people are not supposed to leave the realm and he becomes an isonationalist.-DOS annual

-Gimli

kbdiggity
Rivendell

Sep 8 2013, 1:05am

Post #10 of 20 (440 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

Beorn will fall in love with Tauriel. But alas, she is only interested in the brooding vampire from up the road.

Na Vedui
Rohan

Sep 8 2013, 1:27am

Post #11 of 20 (439 views)
Shortcut
Beorn.. [In reply to] Can't Post

... Kili, Legolas, Thranduil, Bard... Did we miss the casting call for Tauriel's Social Secretary? - she's going to need one to keep her dates from clashing!

MomoftheShire
Rivendell

Sep 8 2013, 3:45am

Post #12 of 20 (389 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

I do believe "whatever" romance will occur between Tauriel and Kili. Just call me a hopeless romantic!

MomoftheShire
Rivendell

Sep 8 2013, 3:48am

Post #13 of 20 (388 views)
Shortcut
Reply to Thorin/Gandalf in Bree [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a suspision(?) that will be the prologue to the 3rd movie. Just like the prologue to ROTK went WAY back to the beginning.

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Sep 8 2013, 9:28pm

Post #14 of 20 (225 views)
Shortcut
It is in the first Weta Chronicles - AUJ: Art & Design... // [In reply to] Can't Post

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Sep 8 2013, 9:33pm

Post #15 of 20 (224 views)
Shortcut
Thank you. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm going to have to either break down and buy those WETA Chronicles books one day or at least borrow them from the library.

Mikael

Sep 16 2013, 11:24pm

Post #16 of 20 (86 views)
Shortcut
thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

Hullo all, new here. Isn't there one scene missing? White council with Saruman giving a go ahead on an attack on Dol Guldur? Surely it shpuld be in the DOS

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Sep 17 2013, 11:27am

Post #17 of 20 (94 views)
Shortcut
Yes. It should be in DoS [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Hullo all, new here. Isn't there one scene missing? White council with Saruman giving a go ahead on an attack on Dol Guldur? Surely it shpuld be in the DOS

I find it hard to imagine that White Council meeting pushed back so far that it would be in TaBA. It is possible, but only just so.

burgahobbit
Rohan

Sep 18 2013, 12:04pm

Post #18 of 20 (68 views)
Shortcut
I thought the battle of Dol Guldur was already confirmed for DOS [In reply to] Can't Post

I could be wrong? Crazy

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Sep 18 2013, 1:35pm

Post #19 of 20 (68 views)
Shortcut
What was the source for that again? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I thought the battle of Dol Guldur was already confirmed for DOS

Was that based on the August Empire magazine article? The German magazine story? It depends on how reliable and authoritative we consider the source to be. Anyway, that is why I think the chances of the attack on Dol Guldur and the preceding White Council meeting happening in There and Back Again are remote. If the reports we've seen are completely accurate then both events will be in The Desolation of Smaug.

Either way, the Council's assault on the Necromancer should occur at least several weeks before the Battle of the Five Armies (unless Jackson is going to have Ganalf arrive at the Lonely Mountain by Eagle).

burgahobbit
Rohan

Sep 20 2013, 5:37pm

Post #20 of 20 (79 views)
Shortcut
Don't know the source, sorry [In reply to] Can't Post

I know that there was an article revealing what lego sets were coming out soon, and one of them was the Battle of Dol Guldur. Lego wouldn't be able to make a set based off TABA (unless the scene in question was later moved to the next film as was the case with the Mirkwood lego set), so this is kind of confirmation, but I thought it was also mentioned somewhere else.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.