Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Iconic scenes
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 7 2013, 9:54pm

Post #26 of 36 (314 views)
Shortcut
Ha,ha, double misquote! My bad this time. :) [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
"No, I am your father! ;)

"RadagaStoner deserves no mercy!" Tauriel the Radagast Slayer, the Chief of Inglorious Elfguards

Tauriel saved us from Itaril. Never forget.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Sep 7 2013, 10:55pm

Post #27 of 36 (312 views)
Shortcut
Give us a chance, Precious! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's something my sister often says to me.

So far, also things like (plus a lot more):

Of course, the whole Erebor sequence.

'I've never been more wrong in my life.'

'Take up arms!'

Misty Mountains song.

Dwarves arriving at Bag End.

Thorin's charge at the Battle of Az, and his stance at the end of the battle.

Thorin's entrance at Bag End.

Thorin's hair oops...not a moment.

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Sep 7 2013, 11:01pm)

kbdiggity
Rivendell

Sep 8 2013, 1:03am

Post #28 of 36 (281 views)
Shortcut
..... [In reply to] Can't Post

SPOILER ALERT...

The scene where Gandalf cuts off the head of Azog and says "That is for Thorin, son of Thrain, son of Thror, King Under the Mountain!"

Nira
Lorien

Sep 8 2013, 4:06am

Post #29 of 36 (266 views)
Shortcut
TTT list must include... [In reply to] Can't Post

"PO-TA-TOES Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew!"

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

Rohirrim Rider
Rivendell

Sep 8 2013, 7:26am

Post #30 of 36 (258 views)
Shortcut
TTT has one of the most iconic LOTR scenes [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Don't be disheartened if there's none. TTT doesn't have any either!

The Gollum/Smeagol argument scene became a classic scene the day the film opened. It was being spoofed and referenced straight away. You could put a reference to that in anything and people would know it from the film or - like a lot of iconic scenes- simply know it as a reference.

I'd argue that that, "You shall not pass!" and The Ring falling on Frodo's finger are the most recognisable and iconic scenes/moments for the general public.

(I'd also argue that "One does not simply walk into Mordor" isn't iconic so much as it is a popular meme, which isn't quite the same)

Yngwulff
Gondor

Sep 8 2013, 8:00am

Post #31 of 36 (241 views)
Shortcut
AUJ [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo running to catch up with the dwarves before they leave Hobbiton and the exchange of wagers as to wheter he'd show or not ...

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 8 2013, 8:02am

Post #32 of 36 (236 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I think 'precious' in its various forms has to be the single most recognised and used reference to Lord of the Rings. Another one that comes up a lot is, 'A wizard is never late or early, he arrives precisely when he means to.'

I'd say that there are lots of lines and scenes in AUJ that have potential to take on a life of their own like that, but it's too early to say which ones will.

And as for iconic characters, Gandalf, Gollum, Bilbo, Frodo are already there, surely. Most people would recognise which film they're from even if they haven't seen it. Once all the three Hobbit films are out, and have been released on DVD and shown an TV I'm sure others will join them - Smaug, Thorin, Beorn seem likely candidates. And it may be that there will be some blurring between films, so that a scene or character will be instantly recognisable as coming from Middle Earth - a bit like people might know something's from Star Wars, but not which of the films.

nobofthepony
Lorien

Sep 8 2013, 1:29pm

Post #33 of 36 (214 views)
Shortcut
Bless us and Splash us! [In reply to] Can't Post

There are all kinds of iconic quotables so far...

Dwalin has quite a few:

"By my beard, you are shorter and wider than last we met"
"Very good, this. Any more?"
"The wild is no place for gentle folk who can neither fight nor fend for themselves."

Then there is:
"And he never forgave. And he never forgot."
rhosgobel rabbits
"And a great game it is too, if you've got the balls for it"

And let's not forget Gandalf's epic line about small deeds of goodness keeping evil at bay.

There is one line that I wish the great goblin said, "Who are these miserable persons?" That would be fun to quote...

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Sep 8 2013, 4:51pm

Post #34 of 36 (225 views)
Shortcut
The Perfect Quote After Having To Sit Through An Extremely Boring Meeting: [In reply to] Can't Post

"Well, that could have been worse!"

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Sep 9 2013, 7:10pm

Post #35 of 36 (143 views)
Shortcut
Heh heh... [In reply to] Can't Post

To be followed by a lengthy email from the meeting organizer with steps for "follow up" for all the participants...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Sep 11 2013, 5:52pm

Post #36 of 36 (123 views)
Shortcut
I think [In reply to] Can't Post

..AnalyzeTheChocolateBar wins... epically. Epic Win.

Go outside and play...

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.