Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond: There and Back Again Challenge!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Sep 6 2013, 5:03am

Post #1 of 9 (200 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond: There and Back Again Challenge! Can't Post

Welcome, TORn walkers, striders, runners, bikers, swimmers, renovators, wood choppers, dancers, gardeners, hikers, box movers, roller bladers and more, to a milestone week at the Walk to Rivendell. We've made it There, and Back Again!

Our Group Challenge started two years ago, just before Bilbo's birthday in 2011, with the goal of accumulating enough miles to get Bilbo and all his traveling companions all the way through their 2000+ mile journey in The Hobbit by the premiere of the second Hobbit movie. We've traveled over 17,000 miles as a group, in more ways than I listed above. Big thanks to all 36 TORn Folk who contributed to the Group Challenge; whether it was 2 or 2000 miles!

There and Back Again
Group Challenge Progress

Miles reported last week: 207.06 (plus gramma's additional 10 from the week before!)
Cumulative miles: 17225.37
Miles along the journey: 2,077.42
We made it to Bag End!

While the Group Challenge is done, our journeys still go on and on. Anyone who wants to can continue with the individual challenges; after all, we're still awaiting the arrival of two more Hobbit movies! Not to mention how much fun it is to celebrate with you when you reach a landmark!

My progress:
Miles covered this week: 5
Cumulative miles: 745
Goal: There and Back Again!

I'll be happy when the back-to-school flurry of meetings calms back down and I can, oh, I don't know, get some exercise! Just a bit frustrated there...

Beamer's progress:
Miles covered this week: 10
Cumulative miles: 752
Goal: Group Challenge

Between PE and dance (in an after-school program and at the dance studio), Beamer's getting more exercise. Now, if she can just get herself organized with schoolwork, it'll be a good year!

Arandiel

The Scoop on the Walk
The TORn Walk to Rivendell thread meets right here on Main, on Thursdays.
Learn about TORn's There and Back Again Challenge

The Eowyn Challenge/Walk to Rivendell (and beyond) is a Middle-Earth-related fitness group that began in March 2003, and has been going on with walkers around the world ever since. TORn's Walk is open to all people and healthy types of activity. Please visit the Eowyn Challenge site, especially the main page and the Walk page, for more information. Useful links, including mileage charts compiled by the late Karen Wynn Fonstad, are on the Tools page.
grammaboodawg's awesome site for Bilbo's return mileages from the Lonely Mountain to Bag End, some helpful activity conversion charts, and the Walk to Rivendell's TORn-up Postcards
Notta's Super-Duper Walking-Equivalents Chart
Eowyn Challenge Login Page to register miles

If you use the Eowyn Challenge site to track your progress, please update your mileage via the login page, and be sure to keep a backup record, in case Warg attack, Wizard-induced blizzard, or other fell calamity causes the Shields page to crash.

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

FantasyFan
Rohan

Sep 6 2013, 2:07pm

Post #2 of 9 (117 views)
Shortcut
Not so many this week [In reply to] Can't Post

The Labor Day holiday was filled with many activities, but walking wasn't one of them. So only 27.44 miles this week, for a total of 569.29. I am still midair, on the long journey from the Eagles' eyrie to the Carrock. If I work at it at all, I can put in 30 miles and be there by next week.

Bilbo seems to have kept his eyes closed the whole 52 miles, except for one quick peek. I think that would have made me more nervous, not knowing what was going on, than looking about would.

A Haiku for Bilbo's ride:

Wind all around me
Warm feathers cover my toes
I am safe - for now

"That is one thing that Men call 'hope.' Amdir we call it, 'looking up.' But there is another which is founded deeper. Estel we call it, that is 'trust.' It is not defeated by the ways of the world, for it does not come from experience, but from our nature and First Being. If we are indeed the Eruhin, the Children of the One, then He will not suffer Himself to be deprived of His own, not by any enemy, not even by ourselves. This is the last foundation of estel, which we keep even when we contemplate the End. Of all His designs the issue must be for His children's joy."
Finrod, Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth, HoME X Morgoth's Ring

Delrond
Rohan

Sep 6 2013, 3:21pm

Post #3 of 9 (115 views)
Shortcut
Less than 20 miles to go! [In reply to] Can't Post

Greetings, fellow walkers, gawkers, bikers, hikers and Words with Frienders. My 3 week check-in coincides with the group making it back to Bag End. Congrats to everyone and many thanks to Arandiel for keeping us motivated.

I was able to log 60.6 miles between running, yard work, circuit training and some basketball, Little D style. As of now, I have a weekend off from 5K timed events, then have 3 in a row, so training has been more intense. On a personal level, I am near my best shape since college and am hoping to break a new PB in September. On the indoor track, I clocked a 6:47 mile and 24:37 5K on separate occasions; both are way out of reach out doors, but it feels great to hit new marks nonetheless. Smile

Miles since last check-in: 60.6
Cumulative miles: 2045.3
Goal: There and Back Again!

After staying at The Floating Log, we are refreshed and headed to Bywater. I can nearly hear the revelry at The Green Dragon and hope to arrive by next weekend. A pint of the finest ale please, gramma. See ya soon. Cool

Have a great weekend, everyone!

A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Sep 6 2013, 4:04pm

Post #4 of 9 (109 views)
Shortcut
I'd have my eyes closed, too! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the fun haiku from midair. And, in the spirit of Estrogen Island, enjoy the view from the Carrock!

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Sep 6 2013, 4:08pm

Post #5 of 9 (125 views)
Shortcut
So there will soon be another party of special magnificence? [In reply to] Can't Post

That's great, Delrond! And congrats on the running times, even if they were 'only' indoors. Here's to you getting that new PB!

Iolani
Rivendell

Sep 7 2013, 3:16pm

Post #6 of 9 (113 views)
Shortcut
Oh yeah! We rock! [In reply to] Can't Post

So proud of everyone! I think it's safe to say most of us will be keeping on, do reach as far as we can. Personal bests, individual there and back agains, etc. This was wonderful. Group hug! Laugh

I will definitely be keeping on. On my individual journey...well, I just did a check. I had Rauros as my next destination, and then realized I already passed it. Okay--okay, following Frodo and Sam, I'm setting a goal of reaching Mount Doom and returning for Aragorn's coronation. I think I can do that. Wink

Keep up the incredibly AWESOME work everyone! Go team!

Here's my mileage for the week--got plenty of walking and biking done! Whoo hoo!

this week: 53.58
cumulative: 1375.56
goal: Individual journey--Aragorn's coronation.

Let us know when the next group challenge starts!!! Laugh

"It's like in the great stories Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And you didn't want to know the end...for how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But then you realize in the end it's just a passing thing, this shadow. A new day will come! And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stuck with you, that meant something. Even if you were too small to understand. But I think Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. The folk in those stories a lot of chances of turnin' back only they didn't. They kept going, because they were holdin' on to something."
"What are we holding onto, Sam?"
"That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it's worth fighting for!"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 7 2013, 9:24pm

Post #7 of 9 (97 views)
Shortcut
Woohoo!! Great job, everyone! [In reply to] Can't Post

And THANK YOU ARANDIEL for keeping us on the Road!! WOW!

I'm going out of this part of the Quest on a bit of a squeek. I've been working on the eBay Fundraiser all week and really haven't left my computer at all... so I'm a bit on the easy-going side of things :) But soon the Fundraiser will be done, then I need to MOVE AROUND!!! :D

We couldn't have done this without you, Arandiel. You had a brilliant idea, and here we all are : ) THANK YOU!!

And Congratulations to all our Road Warriors! Well Done!

Miles covered: 5 miles
Cumulated miles: 23123
Goal: #2 Unexpected Journey Individual Challenge and contributing to the Group :)

Light the Beacons: TheOneRing.net's Fellowship Fundraiser on eBay!

5th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013
1st draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Joe-Mathews
Rivendell

Sep 7 2013, 11:27pm

Post #8 of 9 (92 views)
Shortcut
Dizzy Eärendil [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi y'all,

I'm still going slow but steady. It may take me years, but I'll get there. Doing it all outdioos on foot isn't easy, but it has become my obsession. Erebor or Bust!

Miles since last post: 11.58
Challenge Total: 270.82
All miles: 350.92
Yet to go: 696.18

I'm experimenting with night photography. After four nights, here's the results:

'There is some woe that lies upon you... Why will you not tell me more?'
'For that woe is past,' said Galadriel; 'and I would take what joy is here left, untroubled by memory. And maybe there is woe enough yet to come, thought still hope may seem bright.'

Angharad73
Rohan

Sep 8 2013, 6:38pm

Post #9 of 9 (137 views)
Shortcut
The last two weeks... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been away again - this time to visit my Dad, who celebrated his 80th birthday last week with a big party.

I still managed to get a bit of mileage in, so here's my progress over the last two weeks:

Miles covered: 62
Cumulative miles: 1127
Challenge: There and Back Again

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.