Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
All Quiet On The Warner Front...
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Glorfindela
Valinor

Sep 9 2013, 4:07pm

Post #51 of 56 (207 views)
Shortcut
I agree with you [In reply to] Can't Post

And I do think it is a shame that AUJ is not receiving more exposure, and that the promotion it is receiving is I think generally poor. Apart from the zombified Legolas and the general elf overload (leaving out Thranduil from the criticism), the trailer was excellent, but otherwise I cannot say I've seen anything that fills me with enthusiasm. I guess I'm also a bit miffed that there are few collectables out there of the type that I like (though that is actually very good for my financial situation!).

Glor raises some interesting points, though. He says that 'a decade ago we didn't have social media, facebook, Tumblr, twitter etc'. These are mediums I dislike so much that I ignore them unless directed by someone to a specific topic, so I don't really consider them as part of any promotion. Physical things that you can touch, handle and store are what do it for me.

I do agree with this statement: 'The Hobbit trilogy is one of, if not THE most over scrutinised movie in internet land, the more Warners reveal through promotion, the more there is to complain about and the less intrigue there is surrounding the film, intrigue gets paying bottoms in cinemas, over promotion and over familiarisation via marketing begats free downloads.' So bearing this in mind, perhaps it is best to see less than too much in the way of promotion for instance, I do not want to see spoilers of Beorn or Smaug. However, I do think the Elf spam is very off-putting (and I'm not talking about Thranduil here either).

I too remember the screensavers for LOTR I still have one of Shadowfax on my old computer.

In Reply To
The marketing on these Hobbit movies are no where near the amount of coverage that was given to the Lord of the Rings movies when they were in production. I remember in those days fans could watch videos on the official website about all the different Middle Earth locations, the individual characters and the races. Also they introduced some great screensavers and desktop pictures which I uploaded onto my computer. Looking at current Hobbit movies, there hasn't been anything like that with WB. Since the release of AUJ I only ever had one screencap from the movie as my desktop, since they didn't release any official desktop images for the movie apart from the picture of Bilbo looking out of Bag End.

It's been pretty substandard and its a shame really seeing these movies getting so little coverage, is it because WB are counting on the success of the LotR movies? I don't know but the only one thing I can say they've surpassed the LotR marketing strategy on was the idea of the vlogs, they've been fantastic but you just feel they can do so much more for the sake of the story and the movies.

Old Toby
Gondor

Sep 9 2013, 5:26pm

Post #52 of 56 (180 views)
Shortcut
LOL! Love your phrase... [In reply to] Can't Post

"Elf spam"!!!

And I also agree with everyone here that WB is just not promoting The Hobbit well enough. Merchandise! Give us merchandise, like they did for LOTR! Aside from the beautiful but often expensive items coming from Weta, there isn't near the same level of promotional material out there. Talk about missing the proverbial boat.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Sep 9 2013, 10:01pm

Post #53 of 56 (144 views)
Shortcut
collectibles [In reply to] Can't Post

I am most disappointed with this aspect of the marketing. I bought all of the sidewshow collectibles back in the day. I have 2 morgul lord statues, a fel beast, frodo, gandalf, shelob, Minas Morgul, Gandalf on shadowfax, in addition to other collectible stuff in including framed posters of all three movies signed by the cast. i loved the stuff. I also loved the interaction New Line had with the fans. I guess it's just different now. Not nearly as much fun (although I am better off for it I guess financially which is something to consider).

Still I wish there was more out there. It's just a movie now, not an experience.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Glorfindela
Valinor

Sep 10 2013, 11:10am

Post #54 of 56 (126 views)
Shortcut
My taste was more for ephemera [In reply to] Can't Post

I collected cards from around the world (there are some beautiful sets, some of which were incredibly difficult to source and complete). I especially liked the promo items such as the wonderful Japanese cards that came with a chocolate product of some sort, a large Brazilian set, which I think came with chewing gum, Spanish Popitas cards, tiny Polish Lays cards and so on. It is interesting to see how the designs varied for the different countries.There were also some lovely phone card sets, including gorgeous ones from New Zealand (the FOTR set was particularly difficult to source and in fact the company concerned sent me one for free after I pestered them, for which I was very grateful!).

In a way, I'm quite glad that there isn't all this stuff for The Hobbit, because I am absolutely out of space now (I have albums full of this stuff).

I would, however, really like it if the DVDs at least were up to the standard of the LOTR ones (for the UK)

In Reply To
I am most disappointed with this aspect of the marketing. I bought all of the sidewshow collectibles back in the day. I have 2 morgul lord statues, a fel beast, frodo, gandalf, shelob, Minas Morgul, Gandalf on shadowfax, in addition to other collectible stuff in including framed posters of all three movies signed by the cast. i loved the stuff. I also loved the interaction New Line had with the fans. I guess it's just different now. Not nearly as much fun (although I am better off for it I guess financially which is something to consider).

Still I wish there was more out there. It's just a movie now, not an experience.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Sep 10 2013, 10:45pm

Post #55 of 56 (109 views)
Shortcut
that's so cool Glorfindela! [In reply to] Can't Post

That sounds totally awesome all those card sets. I bet you have tons of albums with them. Very cool indeed. And yes, I am better off financially since they aren't putting out the stuff for The Hobbit LOL so I guess I can be thankful for that. I dropped a ton of cash on LOTR related stuff. The Weta statues, posters, I have a trilogy Tuesday banner, you name it I bought it (not the cards though so that's cool that someone like yourself collected those!

The DVD's I'm sure will be great. The thing is the one thing I want on them isn't there: The cast commentary. Not sure I'll be getting it this time around. But if that's not such a big deal to someone they are certainly worth getting I suppose. The commentary tracks though I loved more than anything because I loved the cast perspective on the whole movie and the making of it.

Oh well, can't have it all I guess.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Glorfindela
Valinor

Sep 11 2013, 10:44am

Post #56 of 56 (101 views)
Shortcut
I've just counted my albums [In reply to] Can't Post

I have more than 20, and they are jam-packed with cards (mostly the size of Topps cards, or smaller or a bit larger). I've used Topps albums, some very nice Japanese albums (blue cloth effect with gold lettering and symbols), and also a few Brazilian albums with images from the films. I have the New Zealand stamp collections, by the way, including the ones for AUJ, and also some nice cinema tickets. I did branch out a bit into things like bookmarks, but those are in separate boxes.

I wish someone would catalogue all this stuff, because I fear the info. will be lost. I did start to do this, but ran out of time. I have labelled most of the cards with the country name/associated product (if relevant)

My beef with the DVD and EE DVD is to do with the quality of the packaging more than anything else (especially for the UK). I'll just have to wait and see exactly what is available before I commit any money towards buying the EE.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.