Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
official blue wizards design?

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

Sep 5 2013, 8:38am

Post #1 of 8 (1395 views)
Shortcut
official blue wizards design? Can't Post

Hi there i just moved to london to start a new life and i found a huge lego shop in a mall. There was the lego tower of orthanc built for visitants to see. I noticed that in one of the upper walls of the tower there is a room with pictures of all the five wizards in lego form. I have not found any picture on the net. But could they be based in some official directions or previous designs from weta? Radi,saru,and ganndalf depicted on those portraits are the same as their lego forms basd on the movie

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!

deskp
Lorien

Sep 5 2013, 9:00am

Post #2 of 8 (817 views)
Shortcut
nope [In reply to] Can't Post

No, thats jsut some standard blue wizards lego made up.

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Sep 5 2013, 9:21pm

Post #3 of 8 (565 views)
Shortcut
I have that set!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh Laugh LaughJust got it for my birthday. It took me 6 hours and 30 minutes to finish (with one 5 minute break). Whew!

The five wizard banners were among the first things I noticed. Saruman, Radagast, and Gandalf are definitely there, meaning the other two must by default be the Blue Wizards. However, if you'll notice, they aren't actually blue. One's gray, and the other's a brownish color. I'm guessing this is because, like PJ, LEGO doesn't have the rights to The Unfinished Tales, and so they had to 'write around trademarks', so to speak. So they did some generic wizard designs in order to make up the total.

It is amazing that such a detail made it in, though. Smile I have many of the LOTR and Hobbit LEGO sets and am continually amazed at the geekiness of the designers. The warg attack set (which contains Thorin, Bifur, and Azog/Yazneg/whoever he was at that point) actually has blue flames you can launch down at the wargs and the orcs. Even the movie didn't get that right! (There you go, AinurOlorin.) The LEGO Shelob has one eye put out, just as Sam inflicts on her. Bag End has maps and books for Bilbo. Gotta love those LEGO guys...

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Faleel
Rohan

Sep 5 2013, 10:12pm

Post #4 of 8 (498 views)
Shortcut
Uh [In reply to] Can't Post

Why would they have to go around the trademarks? AUJ calls them "the two Blue Wizards" in the film....

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Sep 6 2013, 2:52pm

Post #5 of 8 (385 views)
Shortcut
True.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I honestly have no idea. That's just my supposition as to why the two LEGO banners would *not* have Blue Wizards on them. Perhaps LEGO, having had to design their sets so far in advance of the movie's release, did not know that AUJ was actually going to call the Blue Wizards by name? Because, technically speaking, I'm not sure they have the rights to that. As far as I can recall, all Saruman says in his rant in the book is something about the "staffs of the five wizards". Perhaps the LEGO people saw that the rights to use the term 'Blue Wizards' did not really belong to any merchandizing company, and so did generic wizards to make up the five? Then, come to find out, AUJ says 'Blue Wizards' anyway...

Crazy Your guess is as good as mine.

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Elthir
Gondor

Sep 7 2013, 9:44pm

Post #6 of 8 (283 views)
Shortcut
out of the blue again [In reply to] Can't Post

True but the term 'Blue Wizards' was off limits to the filmmakers, and Janet Croft even advised them against using it.

That said, Tolkien appears to have changed his mind about these Wizards being 'blue' in any case, unless I have forgotten a reference post-dating the letter where he [JRRT] states he doubts these wizards had distinctive colours.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Sep 8 2013, 11:59am

Post #7 of 8 (262 views)
Shortcut
Well, official in one sense... [In reply to] Can't Post

Tbe designs had to get approval (from Middle-earth Enterprises?), the same as every other character design created by LEGO.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

Sep 8 2013, 12:53pm

Post #8 of 8 (278 views)
Shortcut
yeah I tought sort of the same way [In reply to] Can't Post

I canīt picture lego making their own without being supervised by the license owners

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.