Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Will MGM correct its mistake, with that senseless lion roar over Shore's music?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

TheHutt
Gondor

Sep 5 2013, 8:25am

Post #26 of 34 (241 views)
Shortcut
Nah... [In reply to] Can't Post

I personally would have preferred the singular dark blue New Line logo, but given that this is a different era, a different film and different production companies behind it - that ship has sailed.

Russian LOTR & Hobbit Site: Henneth-Annun.ru

burgahobbit
Rohan

Sep 5 2013, 12:59pm

Post #27 of 34 (208 views)
Shortcut
An update would be good. [In reply to] Can't Post

The zooming out of the eye did look kind of weird. Crazy

xxxyyy
Rohan

Sep 5 2013, 1:34pm

Post #28 of 34 (211 views)
Shortcut
Well then, then that's PJ's fault... and that's even more depressing... [In reply to] Can't Post

because it would be something done not from carlessness (by MGM) but from pure intention (by PJ).
I might be too rude here. I don't think even PJ bothered about this... Shore just scored what was given to him and that's all.
But I think that this tiny little insignificant thing reflects a bit of the troubles they all went through with these movies.

http://energyfromthorium.com/

Shagrat
Gondor

Sep 5 2013, 1:51pm

Post #29 of 34 (201 views)
Shortcut
It's not PJ's fault either [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you think he can just turned around to MGM (the rights holder) and Warner (the chief financial backer) and say "Look guys, I think the film would open better without your customary logos appearing...Would you be alright with that?" How do you think they'd respond?

morro91
Bree

Sep 5 2013, 2:09pm

Post #30 of 34 (204 views)
Shortcut
Wow [In reply to] Can't Post

"But I think that this tiny little insignificant thing reflects a bit of the troubles they all went through with these movies."

Thats the thing this is "insignificant". You can hear the score in its perfect un-lioned glory on soundtrack, I can't believe you can't get over this. I've never seen a lion not roar in an MGM film.

You don't know what PJ did, maybe he did go "Can we mute the lion", MGM say "No", PJ goes "OK".

To think this was some sort of oversight or carelessness. To me, the lion in absolutely no way takes from the score or the film. And it certainly doesn't reflects a bit of the troubles they all went through with these movies. There are many other situations that do that.

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Sep 5 2013, 4:36pm)

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Sep 5 2013, 4:28pm

Post #31 of 34 (176 views)
Shortcut
What? Of course he did.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Some films have no sound over the logos, some films have ambient noises such as rain, or sometimes dialogue. Some even have customised logos just for the film.

It was an artistic choice to have music played over the logos and when that choice was made it was down to Shore to write the music, probably while watching the logos, just as he would for any other scene in the movie. It was also an artistic choice to use, what I think is Bilbo's theme? As the theme for the Logos.

The Lion's roar is no more intrusive than any of the sound or dialogue in the film.

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Sep 5 2013, 4:30pm)

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 5 2013, 10:18pm

Post #32 of 34 (154 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, this is standard - company logos appear before the film. [In reply to] Can't Post

But unless they have traditional music or sound attached to them, most logos appear in silence before the opening credits and are therefore seen as separate if people really focus on them at all. I think the fact that Shore/PJ/WB (one must have had the idea to begin with and the others agreed to it) decided to score purposely for the logos was probably meant to be a cool "seamless integration" thing - though obviously it didn't strike everyone that way. Ah well, can't please everyone.

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Rohirrim Rider
Rivendell

Sep 5 2013, 11:18pm

Post #33 of 34 (141 views)
Shortcut
This exactly. [In reply to] Can't Post

The music was written to sync with those logos, including the roar. It times perfectly with the orchestration. I absolutely love the score and that bit in particular I find to be so charmingly sweet, warming and beautiful - but even then I don't mind the roar over it in the film. I think they complement each other perfectly.

Darkstone
Immortal

Sep 6 2013, 4:58am

Post #34 of 34 (173 views)
Shortcut
Not just a standard, but a guild requirement. [In reply to] Can't Post

Credits are strictly regulated by the Hollywood guilds. For example, George Lucas got fined $250,000 by the DGA over the opening credits for The Empire Strikes Back (1980). To avoid having the film pulled from theaters Lucas had to pay the fine. He paid under protest and quit the DGA.

“That hobbit has a pleasant face,
His private life is a disgrace.
I really could not tell to you,
The awful things that hobbits do.”

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Sep 6 2013, 5:04am)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.