Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Awaken, fans of AUJ--and those eager for DOS! A long overdue appreciation thread has come.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

cats16
Valinor

Sep 1 2013, 4:41pm

Post #26 of 40 (314 views)
Shortcut
It would be fun, and insightful.. [In reply to] Can't Post

to watch the film once, only focusing on one particular character each time, studying every little thing about him, and the interactions he has with the others. Why does he have a look of disgust on his face? Why did he laugh at a particular individual's joke? They have different relationships with each other, and it's shown by the smallest of details.

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Sep 1 2013, 4:59pm

Post #27 of 40 (314 views)
Shortcut
I can do this, I KNOW I can do this... [In reply to] Can't Post

I am looking forward to the AUJ EE, in the hopes that most of the new scenes will be character-building scenes a la Bilbo and Elrond in Rivendell. It's those kinds of things I want to see more of.

Anyway, having the AUJ EE and then DoS being released shortly after will kind of be a trip down memory lane for me. I remember how great it was in late 2002 when they released the FotR EE, and then TTT came out in theaters shortly after, and what a great winter that was. The next winter was even better. I very much associate winter and the Christmas season now with Tolkien and Jackson's Tolkien films.

So while I do have my bones to pick with the adaptation thus far, YES, there are some things that I am looking forward to.

Kim
Valinor

Sep 1 2013, 5:25pm

Post #28 of 40 (295 views)
Shortcut
Thank you so much for this post cats16! [In reply to] Can't Post

You took the words right out of my mouth! I was actually thinking of posting something similar, but you beat me to it. I love AUJ and have since I first saw the opening credits last December. It took me back to a familiar world, but then went somewhere unexpected (heh). I've never seen a movie as many times in the theatre (7) or at home (over 100). The wait between Feb (when it left the theatres near my house) and March (when the DVD came out) was interminable! This movie quickly became my happy place--escapism at its finest indeed SmileSmileSmile

I can't wait for DOS, and am trying not to read too many spoilers so I can go into it not knowing what to expect.

Thanks again!

Smile

cats16
Valinor

Sep 1 2013, 5:25pm

Post #29 of 40 (283 views)
Shortcut
Yay, Spring! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hopefully a very calm, refreshing season after the turbulent winter you all have had there.

Silwen_Peredhil
Rivendell

Sep 1 2013, 5:31pm

Post #30 of 40 (305 views)
Shortcut
Thanks. We have been needing an appreciation thread. [In reply to] Can't Post

When I saw the lush green Shire with Howard Shore's wonderful shire theme in AUJ I really felt like I was back in Middle Earth. I loved it.

What Middle Earth fan who had seen and loved the LOTR trilogy didn't then dream of a Hobbit film being made? We have it now after 10 years of waiting. Is it not better than no film at all?

There really were some beautiful moments. The eagle flight and Bilbo's speech in particular come to mind.

We have only seen 1 film out of 3. Character storylines have not been developed enough to fully judge whether they will work out overall. I am willing to just let everything unfold. The EE will hopefully pad out and reveal more as well.

I think AUJ stayed true to the book overall. The Hobbit is such a wonderful and sweet story which deserves to be told on screen. I really thought the acting was so well done in AUJ and helped to bring the characters to life.

What's this? A Ranger caught off his guard?

cats16
Valinor

Sep 1 2013, 5:36pm

Post #31 of 40 (284 views)
Shortcut
You bet, Kim! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad to hear you're of the same opinion. SmileAlthough you've definitely watched AUJ more than I have so far (good for you, of course!). You're right about that wait we had from February (really late January for me) until mid-March!

Good for you that you're working on avoiding DOS spoilers, too. I'll probably start turning away once we're given another trailer. We're heading into the "not speculation any longer" period, with some facts starting to come in the near future once promotion begins.

You're welcome, and I hope you and Thorin have a great reunion in December! I know you're quite fond of him...CoolWinkAngelic

Kim
Valinor

Sep 1 2013, 5:41pm

Post #32 of 40 (279 views)
Shortcut
It was the same for me [In reply to] Can't Post

I first started reading TORn because of love for this film, and really enjoyed the enthusiasm of all the posters talking about their favorite scenes/moments/characters etc. And like you, although I really like the original trilogy, it just didn't hit me the same way as this movie. Here's hoping DOS and TABA are more of the same! Smile

Kim
Valinor

Sep 1 2013, 5:56pm

Post #33 of 40 (265 views)
Shortcut
That's really interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

that your blu ray is juddery. I have the DVD right now, and don't have that problem--it actually feels very similar to the HFR. I was planning to get the EE in blu ray, so I hope I don't end up with that same problem. And I agree, I would love a re-release in HFR on the big screen--that was my favorite viewing option, and part of the reason I saw it so many times in the theater.

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 1 2013, 6:41pm

Post #34 of 40 (243 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I will see it in HFR - more than once this time, if I can manage it.

It's ironic because, as anyone who remembers my posts here before the film came out will confirm, I was dead set against 3D. Could see no point to it at all, because until that point the effect had never worked properly for me and had always left my eyes feeling funny - in fact, I'd only managed to sit right through one complete film and I didn't care much for that. So I wasn't going to bother. It was only right near the end of its run, when I'd already seen it three times in 2D, that I thought I'd give it a try. I was intrigued by the polarisation of opinions about it and I thought, you can't reject something you haven't even seen. So I went, not expecting much, and was knocked sideways by it - so much better than I could have imagined and so beautiful. So yes, that is part of the plan!

cats16
Valinor

Sep 1 2013, 6:47pm

Post #35 of 40 (232 views)
Shortcut
Wonderful to hear. [In reply to] Can't Post

3D doesn't usually do much for me either, especially since I have some minor eye issues. But I found it much better in AUJ, and I'm also looking forward to HFR 3D.

Although I won't lie, a non 3D HFR version would have been nice, too. Strange how that's not an option.

(This post was edited by cats16 on Sep 1 2013, 6:48pm)

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Sep 1 2013, 9:28pm

Post #36 of 40 (208 views)
Shortcut
All my HD films look like that... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a big TV, which makes it more noticeable, particularly on really high qulity films, like The Hobbit, Avatar and Pixar movies. Don't notice it as much on DVDs interestingly.

Na Vedui
Rohan

Sep 2 2013, 12:11am

Post #37 of 40 (175 views)
Shortcut
I think there's 3D and 3D [In reply to] Can't Post

The first time I saw AUJ in 3D was bad - swervy, blurry, "in ya face" - I felt seasick at times; after that I went to 2D showings. Then there was a last chance to see it in the theatre so I went, even though it was 3D. A different cinema, and I was sitting near the back of the hall, which seemed to help too - and that viewing was a really good experience.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Sep 3 2013, 1:19am

Post #38 of 40 (107 views)
Shortcut
You're not alone [In reply to] Can't Post

I really enjoyed AUJ. While some of the deviations I thought could have been done better/differently, I still really liked it. The only crux for me, really, was Azog, which he at least is somewhat tolerable. But not much. Otherwise, I enjoyed the film. I still rank LOTR higher, but I enjoyed AUJ.
Unfortunately though, I am not a positive person. I'm one of those people who expects the worst, but hopes for the best. While I am looking forward to DOS, I'm very concerned.

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

Sep 3 2013, 3:49pm

Post #39 of 40 (69 views)
Shortcut
Count me in with this crew! [In reply to] Can't Post

I still can't put my finger on exactly why I love this movie, or why it affected me so much more deeply than LOTR, but I still love even after having seen it dozens and dozens of times. Possibly it's because my expectations were very low the first time I went to see it, and yet I came out of the theater just elated...or because it only took about ten seconds of HS's score to get me back to Middle-earth, even before the stunning visuals began...or maybe because of certain dwarves who shall remain nameless Angelic...or maybe it's because there's more fun and less doom and gloom than LOTR (so far Unsure)...or maybe it's the love that is so obvious in set and costume design, or the movie's ability to take me far away...well, I could go on all day but I'll spare you that! Wink

All I can say is that I know perfectly well what the movie's faults are. I acknowledge them. But I love it anyway. Heck, I even love some of the faults. That's when you know it's the Real Thing. HeartEvilWink

"It was just a sword, beautiful in the way of a weapon, with the jewels in the hilt set in gold scrollwork, and the blade glimmering and eager, as if it would fight of itself. Weapons are named for this; some are eager fighters, some dogged, some unwilling; but all are alive."--The Hollow Hills

ltnjmy
Rivendell

Sep 3 2013, 7:32pm

Post #40 of 40 (57 views)
Shortcut
Great Appreciation Thread [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I LOVED AUJ - have watched it over seven times - and am eagerly anticipating DOS. Thank you PJ and everybody for bringing these films to life ! Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.