Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Losing Bilbo
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Sep 3 2013, 9:31pm

Post #51 of 61 (130 views)
Shortcut
A bigger problem for me is her promincnce on the tie in books. And Bard's frankly. [In reply to] Can't Post

Neither Galadriel nor Arwen, both (one would hope) more significant to Rings than Tauriel will be to The Hobbit, nor Theoden, Denethor, Faramir or Elrond. None of them had THAT large a display (see the movie visual companions) as Tauriel and Bard do. Bard is more easily understood. That is the thing that bothers me. A display like that suggests that Tauriel has more weight in these films than every any of those other characters did in The Rings movies. It may not prove true, but it shouldn't be so strongly and lastingly suggested.

In Reply To
when we talk about the relative film-time of Bilbo vs Elves. I'm not surprised that the DOS publicity has focused on the Elves: Legolas was insanely popular during the LOTR films and hooking back into that character and the Elves around him makes sense from a marketing point of view, since they're trying to get the attention of not just book fans but also those who fell big-time for the LOTR movies.

It'll be interesting to see how much focus is on Bilbo in DOS, but we can't judge that from the publicity.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

tolktolk
Lorien

Sep 3 2013, 9:52pm

Post #52 of 61 (124 views)
Shortcut
British awards [In reply to] Can't Post

The Oliviers are our main theatre awards, though there are others such as the Evening Standard Awards, and there are separate BAFTAS for film and TV (plus Welsh and Scottish BAFTAS) though again there are also others such as the National Television, Independent Film and Comedy Awards.

Most of the seasoned British actors working on The Hobbit have numerous awards and nominations under their belts.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Sep 4 2013, 1:05am

Post #53 of 61 (106 views)
Shortcut
I'm so excited! [In reply to] Can't Post

I definitely want to check it out! Now that's Sherlock season 3 and the Musketeers to look forward, as well as the new Doctor Who. So Peter Capaldi is Cardincal Richelieu? I want to see his portrayal of the sinister Cardinal. Thanks for posting the previews!

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Sep 4 2013, 1:09am

Post #54 of 61 (104 views)
Shortcut
I'm with you on this [In reply to] Can't Post

Galadriel and Arwen had more signifcance in the Lord of the Rings, more so than Tauriel. I understand they want to market the films, but if they didn't give that much attention to Galadriel and Arwen, why give so much to Tauriel? Unless she has a much bigger role in the films. That bothers me. This isn't her film. The Hobbit is not about Tauriel.

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 4 2013, 12:42pm

Post #55 of 61 (87 views)
Shortcut
I don't see why Tauriel wouldn't be more prominent than canon LOTR women [In reply to] Can't Post

All 3 LOTR women were episodes that could have been easily removed from the books. Galadriel didn't do anything Elrond couldn't (gifts), Eowyn didn't do anything Merry couldn't (defeat The Witch King by himself because he is not a Man as a race) and Arwen appears at the end anyway.

OTOH, it looks like Tauriel is actually doing something that other character couldn't, namely, getting Thranduil and Legolas to understand dwarves and their plight. As a King's Guard, it's her duty to go after them, and as a Silvan Elf she obivously has a more sympatheitc POV than the ruling Sindars.

"RadagaStoner deserves no mercy!" Tauriel the Radagast Slayer, the Chief of Inglorious Elfguards

Tauriel saved us from Itaril. Never forget.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Sep 4 2013, 11:52pm

Post #56 of 61 (78 views)
Shortcut
Galadriel and Eowyn are important [In reply to] Can't Post

While they could have kept out Arwen, Galadriel needed to be there. If you've read the novel, it's easy to understand. She give them courage, wisdom, and gifts to help the Fellowship. She also encouraged understanding of the dwarves, allowing Gimli to walk Lothlorien without a blindfold. She showed respect for the dwarves, long before Tauriel was even concepted. And while Merry could have killed the Witch-King himself, Eowyn proves that a woman can have courage and fight, and help defeat evil. It's fine of you like Tauriel, but that doesn't mean she's more important than the other female characters, namingly Galadriel and Eowyn. They did more than Tauriel is supposed to. And Eowyn, to me, is the quintessential female warrior. They shouldn't try to show her up with Tauriel.

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Sep 5 2013, 6:32am

Post #57 of 61 (78 views)
Shortcut
But this is one of the more debatable points... [In reply to] Can't Post

Does Tauriel need to be female to be able to do these things? Why not a male Silvan Heaf the King's Guard?

OTOH, it looks like Tauriel is actually doing something that other character couldn't, namely, getting Thranduil and Legolas to understand dwarves and their plight. As a King's Guard, it's her duty to go after them, and as a Silvan Elf she obivously has a more sympatheitc POV than the ruling Sindars.

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 5 2013, 1:36pm

Post #58 of 61 (53 views)
Shortcut
Eowyn is hardly a quintisential female warrior [In reply to] Can't Post

Warriorship wasn't her profession. She went into one battle and was quickly disillusioned and decided to become a doctor. Nothing wrong with that. I'm just saying that poster for a warrior woman she wasn't since dedication clearly wasn't there. She had one idea what it was like, due to wastly glamourized presentation in songs and exaggerated after-battle recaps, and then saw first-hand what it was really like. Such as "loyal" soldiers fleeing from their fallen king without trying to help him. Not so glamorous, eh?

My point is that everything that galadriel and Eowyn did other characters, namely Elrod and Merry could have so there wa sno need to create counterparts that did exactly the same.

OTOH, tauriel is an actual profesisonal military officer and as such in a position to do stuff that others cannot. Grnated, I haven't seen the movie yet but since I read LOTR and saw movies, galadriel and Eowyn were always a filler material to me, something that would improve the pacing of both had they been removed.

"RadagaStoner deserves no mercy!" Tauriel the Radagast Slayer, the Chief of Inglorious Elfguards

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 5 2013, 1:40pm

Post #59 of 61 (53 views)
Shortcut
because women are more sympathetic? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know. I can imagine that being sympathetic to dwarves whereas other men weren't comes from her gender sensibilities too. Also, I don't see why her gender is a problem aside "if we have a chick we must have romance" type of plotting. If this is another "oh, no, we cna't have a warrior chick because she'' steal Eowyn's thunder" and "oh, no we cnanot have romance because it'll steal Aragorn and Arwen thunder" thna those are not valid arguments against Tauriel's gender.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Sep 7 2013, 12:31am

Post #60 of 61 (32 views)
Shortcut
No offense [In reply to] Can't Post

but it sounds like you're trying to make Tauriel more important than she reall is. She isn't more important than Galadriel and Eowyn, nor shoulder she overshadow them. Eleniel made a good point, she could have been a male Silvan elf, and it would make no difference. Galadriel and Eowyn were not filler. All of the characters that appear in Tolkien's work have a purpose and are relevant in one way or another, no matter how small the role. From Butterbut-Pippin, from The Sackvill-Baggins-Frodo. Eowyn might not have known what battle was really like, but she still went ahead. When she saw soldiers running away, she stayed to defend Theoden. She could have run away from the Witch-King and let Merry take care of it, which is supposedly typical behavior of a female: when in danger, let the men take care of it. She could have ended up the quintessential damsel in distress. But instead, she strikes the Witch-King, standing her ground, not running away and expecting Merry to do all the dirty work by himself. That to me is a true warrior. And also, Eowyn did know how to use a sword, so she had some experiance fighting. Eowyn still showed courage, and didn't stay in the kitchen. She went to battle, fought, survived, and became a doctor, which was also a profession most women at one time were not allowed to have. You also have to be very strong to be a doctor. With all the blood and gore that has to be dealt with, one cannot turn tail and run.

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 7 2013, 5:14pm

Post #61 of 61 (29 views)
Shortcut
I disagree that Tauriel is less important [In reply to] Can't Post

She is clearly going to be a bigger player than Galadriel, Arwen and Eowyn and she should not be dismissed just because her presence threatens popularity of canon characters. When the whole 6 movie series is finally completed, I've no doubt she'll be either the most popular female character or second to Arwen (who was the most popular female character of LOTR movies). By the look of what they have in store for her, she seems well rounded: a ruthless killer to her enemies, a compassionate ally to dwarves, a healer to injured children of Men, a selfless friend, a loyal subject who has enough of open mind and outspoken personality to question her King's decisions that don't seem fair. Well, sue me but I like her more than 3 canon women.

LOTR EE screwed the pooch when they left out Eowyn's decision to become a doctor. As you said, doctor isn't a profession for squirmy and I always thought that her choice to be a Princess with a profession for commoners, an unheard of thing in those times, was more interesting than her weekend warrior stint. That's the foundation of the modern monarchy with working royals right there.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.