Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
History of The Hobbit

vexx801
Rivendell

Aug 30 2013, 10:36pm

Views: 263
Shortcut
History of The Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

According to John D. Rateliff in volume 2 of HoH, "The motif of the Black Arrow harkens back to the alliterative poem of the 1920s and ahead to the Numenorean blades in The Lord of the Rings. In 'The Lay of the Children of Hurin,' Beleg the Bowman carries a special arrow named Dailir," and we find that unlike Beleg who faces a tragic demise, Bard comes out not only as a dragon-slayer but also as the rightful heir to the throne of Dale.

As such, it is also rather implied that the black arrow perhaps contains a magical quality that allows it to always find its target, and always become retrievable. This, however, has all been in preparation for the arrow's final, ultimate moment and ultimate destiny - just as Bard becomes tha dragon-slayer and goes on to accept his destiny, the vehicle by which he slays the dragon also comes to its final destiny and final demise.

In saying all of this, I suppose my point is this: I find it highly relevant to briefly mention the history of the Black Arrow, or at least perhaps establish that magical quality of the object that is so relevant to both The Hobbit and Tolkien's legendarium as a whole. We already know that Girion will make a brief appearance in the prolouge for the extended edition of An Unexpected Journey, which will of course provide the audience of that film to be more familiar with the Black Arrow when it makes its appearance at the end of DOS or start of TABA.

(This post was edited by vexx801 on Aug 30 2013, 10:37pm)

Subject User Time
The Black Arrow Snaga Send a private message to Snaga Aug 30 2013, 7:42pm
    there have been rumors Sinister71 Send a private message to Sinister71 Aug 30 2013, 7:46pm
        Yeah Faleel Send a private message to Faleel Aug 30 2013, 8:27pm
        The rumours have been around for quite some time ... it's in the book ... DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Aug 30 2013, 8:28pm
            i meant as far as being shown in the film... Sinister71 Send a private message to Sinister71 Aug 30 2013, 8:47pm
            I should have said rumored Sinister71 Send a private message to Sinister71 Aug 30 2013, 9:15pm
    History of The Hobbit vexx801 Send a private message to vexx801 Aug 30 2013, 10:36pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.