Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: TORn Moots and Other Events:
Middle Earth Day, Sept 28, Higgins Armoury Museum, Worcester, Massachusetts

Meneldor
Valinor

Aug 28 2013, 9:08pm

Post #1 of 7 (232 views)
Shortcut
Middle Earth Day, Sept 28, Higgins Armoury Museum, Worcester, Massachusetts Can't Post

If you've never been to Higgins Armoury, you really ought to go. Their collection of medieval arms and armour is fantastic! Sadly, the museum is losing money and will be closing its doors at the end of the year, so now is the time to grab your camera and see everything.

More info on Middle Earth Day here: http://www.higgins.org/middle-earth-day-1

The museum is asking for costumed volunteers to help out. I've never worn Tolkien themed garb, but with my re-enactor wardrobe, I think I can put together a decent ranger outfit. And if anyone else wants to volunteer but has no garb, I may be able to find something for you.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and his wonders in the deep.

acheron
Gondor

Sep 4 2013, 12:55pm

Post #2 of 7 (225 views)
Shortcut
Fortunately the collection will be preserved [In reply to] Can't Post

I used to live in Worcester and went a time or two then (10+ years ago now), but just a month or so ago I was back for a visit and spent an afternoon there to see it before they closed.

It sounds like the new home at the Worcester Art Museum will eventually be able to show even more of the collection than what is available to the public now, as a lot of it is currently in storage. The unfortunate part is that I don't know how much (if any) of the current staff at the Armory will be able to keep their jobs. A lot of them are awfully knowledgeable, it would be a shame if they lost that knowledge in the new location.

So it is too bad that that crazy building won't be open anymore but I hope that I'll still be able to take my kids to see the collection someday. And maybe they'll keep doing Middle-earth days! Smile

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

Meneldor
Valinor

Sep 5 2013, 8:22pm

Post #3 of 7 (180 views)
Shortcut
I heard back from the museum today [In reply to] Can't Post

and it appears they've recruited "Faramir in battle armor" to be there all day. I'll have to get my picture taken with him.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and his wonders in the deep.

acheron
Gondor

Sep 5 2013, 11:27pm

Post #4 of 7 (180 views)
Shortcut
nice [In reply to] Can't Post

Make sure you post the picture if you get one. Wink

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Sep 11 2013, 12:58pm

Post #5 of 7 (156 views)
Shortcut
Oh! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sad to hear the place is closing, it is a very interesting museum! But it sounds like maybe I need to plan a last visit with my kids for the 28th. Thanks for posting this news.

Meneldor
Valinor

Sep 11 2013, 2:16pm

Post #6 of 7 (199 views)
Shortcut
I ought to be there all day [In reply to] Can't Post

so look for me and say hi.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Meneldor
Valinor

Sep 24 2013, 4:40am

Post #7 of 7 (182 views)
Shortcut
Come one, come all! [In reply to] Can't Post

And say hi to this guy.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.