Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Launching Tolkienia! 1) Calling all creative-idea-people 2) A Celebration Par Excellence!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 2 2013, 2:19am

Post #76 of 88 (57 views)
Shortcut
Awesome! The Hobbit in Haiku! [In reply to] Can't Post

Succinct, yet it's all there, the story in a nutshell, or should I say, a series of "nutshells"! Laugh This is great, Rux!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 2 2013, 2:31am

Post #77 of 88 (54 views)
Shortcut
Scion of ancient poetry! [In reply to] Can't Post

This has the feel of the alliterative verse from centuries ago, very compelling!

And the viewpoint: that of a living thing which is "just feeling itself as something between roof-tip and leaf-tip", aware, and capable of - dare one state it? - joy!

Just lovely, Brethil! Smile

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 2 2013, 2:43am

Post #78 of 88 (53 views)
Shortcut
This reads like one of Bilbo's poems! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a great way to express the times that Tree has seen! I especially like the part about it wanting to keep Gandalf away - it knew that when that wizard came, sadness (for it) would follow.

Wonderful! Smile

But it's not yet complete, you know - there would be the heirs of Baggins living there, and children playing happily beneath its' boughs...because the great stories never end. Heart

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Sep 2 2013, 2:50am

Post #79 of 88 (52 views)
Shortcut
Thanks dernwyn! [In reply to] Can't Post

Just a bit of fun, really. nutshells is right, almost like a table of contents isn't it? Laugh. I'm glad you enjoyed it Smile

A bag is like a hole that you can carry with you.

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_expanded;

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 2 2013, 2:52am

Post #80 of 88 (65 views)
Shortcut
Make that more WOWs! [In reply to] Can't Post

To both of you!

Meneldor, that would be perfect for the Numenoreans as well! Cool

And Ethel - amazing fit to the song, I think you've got Rux's "ear" for this kind of thing! Smile

I love the result!

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 2 2013, 2:42pm

Post #81 of 88 (49 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Dernwyn! [In reply to] Can't Post

I am so glad you liked it - the old alliterative form is exactly what I was going for (without having it be too dirge-like). Smile

(And did you see our membership!^? 10,002!!!!!)

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 2 2013, 2:50pm

Post #82 of 88 (57 views)
Shortcut
(*scratches name with pen*) Signing you up as a Poetry Trubadour Grey Elf... [In reply to] Can't Post

Another piece of fun - a great read too, with your rhythm so catchy! SmileAngelicCool

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Meneldor
Grey Havens

Sep 2 2013, 4:01pm

Post #83 of 88 (51 views)
Shortcut
Friends don't let friends sackbutt drunk. [In reply to] Can't Post

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and his wonders in the deep.

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Sep 2 2013, 4:33pm

Post #84 of 88 (42 views)
Shortcut
Hahahaha! Something similar actually happened to [In reply to] Can't Post

a teacher I knew at school. He was studying for a summer with one of the most famous teachers of all time, and had to get up at 6:30 in order to get to the lesson on time--2 hour drive or something. When he got there on one fine morning, the teacher--literally--asked him to play a 3 octave D# melodic minor scale in 6ths (stringed instrument). When he hesitated, trying to work it out in his head before starting, the teacher said "Oh, you didn't practice that one this morning!" (Or . . . ever??!!)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 2 2013, 4:53pm

Post #85 of 88 (39 views)
Shortcut
No, not that tune... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been trying to figure out what tune it is that fits this, I know it's an old familiar one but haven't been able to pull it out of these old memory banks yet! Aargh!

But it's a wonderful "companion" to "Blunt the Knives", isn't it - what fun, Grey Elf! Smile

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Sep 2 2013, 4:57pm

Post #86 of 88 (41 views)
Shortcut
I love that so much! // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Meneldor
Grey Havens

Sep 2 2013, 5:13pm

Post #87 of 88 (37 views)
Shortcut
If you think the words are good [In reply to] Can't Post

follow the link to Ethel's musical arrangement. She really makes it sing!
(Yeah, I went there.)

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and his wonders in the deep.

The Grey Elf
Gondor

Sep 2 2013, 5:48pm

Post #88 of 88 (71 views)
Shortcut
Many thanks for your plaudits [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

I actually started this poem weeks ago before things turned musical on this thread so I gave no thought at all to it being taken as lyrics. I guess you can take any poem with a repetitive meter and put it to music, but it does still strike me as somewhat funny. Smile

Thank each of you again for your nice words. Heart

Welcome more children to Middle Earth. Support The S.H.I.R.E. Project!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.