Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
TIME - August 25

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 25 2013, 3:37pm

Post #1 of 13 (199 views)
Shortcut
TIME - August 25 Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

August 25, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. All of Hobbiton whispered and wondered at Frodo's announcement to move to Buckland.
(not from the appendices)
..."...But so firmly fixed had the notion of the immeasurable wealth of the Bagginses of Bag End become that most found this hard to believe, harder than any other reason or unreason that their fancy could suggest: to most it suggested a dark and yet unrevealed plot by Gandalf. Though he kept himself very quiet and did not go about by day, it was well known that he was 'hiding up in the Bag End'. But however a removal might fit in with the designs of his wizardry, there was no doubt about the fact: Frodo Baggins was going back to Buckland.
...'Yes, I shall be moving this autumn,' he said. 'Merry Brandybuck is looking out for a nice little hole for me, or perhaps a small house.'"

5th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013
1st draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 27 2013, 2:10am

Post #2 of 13 (107 views)
Shortcut
TIME - August 26 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

August 26, 3020 (S.R. 1420)
..."In the Southfarthing the vines were laden, and the yield of 'leaf' was astonishing; and everywhere there was so much corn that at Harvest every barn was stuffed. The Northfarthing barley was so fine that the beer of 1420 malt was long remembered and became a byword. Indeed a generation later one might hear an old gaffer in an inn, after a good pint of well-earned ale, put down his mug with a sign: 'Ah! that was a proper fourteen-twenty, that was!'"

Light the Beacons: TheOneRing.net's Fellowship Fundraiser on eBay!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 27 2013, 10:32am

Post #3 of 13 (114 views)
Shortcut
TIME - August 27 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

August 27, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The Company makes its way north.
..."...Often long after the hobbits were wrapped in sleep [Elrond, Gandalf, Celeborn and Galadriel] would sit together under the stars, recalling the ages that were gone and all their joys and labours in the world, or holding council, concerning the days to come. If any wanderer had chanced to pass, little would he have seen or heard, and it would have seemed to him only that he saw grey figures, carved in stone, memorials of forgotten things now lost in unpeopled lands. For they did not move or speak with their mouth, looking from mind to mind and only their shining eyes stirred and kindled as their thoughts went to and fro."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 28 2013, 10:31am

Post #4 of 13 (129 views)
Shortcut
TIME - August 28 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

August 28, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Bilbo searches out each Dwarf's cell
(from Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth)
..."Eventually... ...by watching and following the guards and taking what chances he could, he managed to find out where each dwarf was kept. He found all their twelve cells in different parts of the palace, and after a time he got to know his way about very well. What was his surprise one day to overhear some of the guards talking and to learn that there was another dwarf in prison too, in a specially deep dark place. He guessed at once... ...that that was Thorin; and after a while he found that his guess was right."

August 28, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. They overtake Saruman
(from the appendices)
..."...As they came out again into open country at sundown they overtook an old man leaning on a staff, and he was clothed in rags of grey or dirty white, and at his heels went another beggar, slouching and whining.
...'Well Saruman!' said Gandalf. 'Where are you going?'
...'What is that to you?' he answered. 'Will you still order my goings, and are you not content with my ruin?'
...'You know the answers,' said Gandalf: 'no and no. But in any case the time of my labours now draws to an end... ...But will you scorn our help? For we offer it to you.'
...'To me?' said Saruman. 'Nay, pray do not smile at me! I prefer your frowns. And as for the Lady here, I do not trust her: she always hated me, and schemed for your part. I do not doubt that she has brought you this way to have the pleasure of gloating over my poverty...'

...'...Saruman,' said Galadriel, 'we have other errands and other cares that seem to us more urgent than hunting for you. Say rather that you are overtaken by good fortune; for now you have a last chance.'
...'If it be truly the last, I am glad... ...for I shall be spared the trouble of refusing it again. All my hopes are ruined, but I would not share yours...'
...'...Go!' he said. 'I did not spend long study on these matters for naught. You have doomed yourselves, and you know it. And it will afford me some comfort as I wander to think that you pulled down your own house when you destroyed mine. And now, what ship will bear you back across so wide a sea?' he mocked. 'It will be a grey ship, and full of ghosts.' He laughed, but his voice was cracked and hideous..."

......As the wretched pair passed by the company, they came to the hobbits, and Saruman stopped and stared at them; but they looked at him with pity.
...'So you have come to gloat too... ...my urchins?'"

2. Saruman turns towards the Shire.
(from the appendices)
..."Saruman laughed.... '...you hobbit-lordlings, riding along with all those great people, so secure and so pleased with your little selves. You thought you had done very well out of it all, and could now just amble back and have a nice quiet time in the country. Saruman's home could be all wrecked, and he could be turned out, but no one could touch yours. Oh no! Gandalf would look after your affairs... ...But you must go dangling after him, dawdling and talking, and riding round twice as far as you needed. "Well," thought I, "if they're such fools, I will get ahead of them and teach them a lesson. One ill turn deserves another..." ...And it will be pleasant to think of that and set it against my injuries.'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Aug 28 2013, 10:35am)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 29 2013, 1:19am

Post #5 of 13 (88 views)
Shortcut
What a defining painting [In reply to] Can't Post

of Saruman and Wormtongue - I don't recall ever having seen this before! It captures them well!

I've been thinking this since reading the first part of the Dwarves' capture by the Elves: they were treated quite roughly, weren't they, and unkindly - and from what I've garnered, that disrespect will be shown full force in DoS. Do you think we should start gathering rotten tomatoes to throw at Thranduil? Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 29 2013, 11:05am

Post #6 of 13 (70 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

A Book Spoiler continuing a discussion between Saruman, Wormtongue and some hobbits in the middle of the road... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From Many Partings: The Return of the King

...'So you have come to gloat too... ...my urchins?' he said. 'You don't care what a beggar lacks, do you! For you have all you want, food and fine clothes, and the best weed for your pipes. Oh yes... ...I know where it comes from. You would not give a pipeful to a beggar, would you!'
...'I would, if I had any,' said Frodo.
...'You can have what I have got left,' said Merry... ...he handed to Saruman a leather pouch. 'Take what there is... ...You are welcome to it; it came from the flotsam of Isengard.'
...'Mine, mine, yes and dearly bought!' cried Saruman, clutching at the pouch... '...a beggar must be grateful, if a thief returns him even a morsel of his own. Well, it will serve you right when you come home, if you find things less good in the Southfarthing than you would like. Long may your land be short of leaf!'
...'Thank you!' said Merry. 'In that case I will have my pouch back, which is not yours and has journeyed far with me. Wrap the weed in a rag of your own.'
...'One thief deserves another,' said Saruman, and turned his back on Merry... ...and went away towards the wood.
...'Well, I like that!' said Pippin. 'Thief indeed! What of our claim for waylaying, wounding, and orc-dragging us through Rohan?'
...'Ah!' said Sam. 'And "bought" he said. How, I wonder! And I didn't like the sound of what he said about the Southfarthing. It's time we got back.'
...'I'm sure it is,' said Frodo. 'But we can't go any quicker, if we are to see Bilbo. I am going to Rivendell first, whatever happens.'
...'Yes, I think you had better do that... ...But alas for Saruman! I fear nothing more can be made of him. He has withered altogether. All the same, I am not sure that Treebeard is right: I fancy he could do some mischief still in a small mean way.'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 29 2013, 11:09am

Post #7 of 13 (88 views)
Shortcut
It's a great pic :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I love it as much as that one with Frodo on Asfaloth defying the Wraiths as they're washed away by the River.

Good point on collecting and rotting my tomatoes for Thranduil. I'm thinking there's going to be a pretty dramatic treatment to stir Legolas and Tauriel into defying the King. *rubs hands together* This is gonna be good :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 30 2013, 9:42am

Post #8 of 13 (77 views)
Shortcut
TIME - August 30 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

August 30, 2941 (S.R. 1341) (ish)
1. Gandalf rides to a meeting.
(not from the appendices-no text)
...It's been a full month since leaving Bilbo and the Dwarves at the edge of Mirkwood Forest, and Gandalf's thoughts never left them. For days while he was racing south he was anxious and felt the call to turn back, but his first pledge had been made long before finding Thorin at the Prancing Pony and arranging the Quest. Now he felt sure they weren't in any immediate danger, and so his attention was turned to the task at hand as he kept an ear open for news from the north.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 1 2013, 3:58am

Post #9 of 13 (50 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

TIME Google Calendar

silneldor
Half-elven

Sep 2 2013, 12:43am

Post #10 of 13 (49 views)
Shortcut
My dear gramma; [In reply to] Can't Post

Did you not think no one would notice?
NOT!!! Or are ye testing the ranks so to reveal their level of sobriety , or not, this fine holiday weekend, hoping yours is lovely one by the way.

.....In a hole lived a hobbit...it was a hobbit hole and that mean comfort.....It had a perfectly round door like a porthole, painted green with a shiny yellow grass knob in the exact.....

*door opens in a rush*...out rushes a hobbit i believe....I believe it is Bilbo Baggins! Running have you! Running hell-bent for election it is, or lighting a chuck if you understand my meaning....

MY, look as him go, and holding a flailing bit if paper it is, looks strangely like a document of some sorts. Yes.....Now what, pray tell, is cause for so much commotion?...

He is STILL goingShocked...

" 'Fair lady Goldberry!' said Frodo at last, feeling his heart move with a joy that he did not understand. He stood as he had at times stood enchanted by fair elven-voices; but the spell that was now laid upon him was different: less keen and lofty was the delight, but deeper and nearer to mortal heart; marvellous and yet not strange."

Chapter VII: In the House of Tom Bombadil; FOTR's

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
J.R.R. Tolkien

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 2 2013, 1:19am

Post #11 of 13 (48 views)
Shortcut
Wow.... what happened? *snigger* [In reply to] Can't Post

I KNOW I did a BS cuz I worked on it for about half an hour! Thanks for the heads-up sil... I'll repost it. *sigh* Too Much Fundraiser Auction Action going on ;)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 2 2013, 1:22am

Post #12 of 13 (47 views)
Shortcut
NOW it's time for some BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is a Book Spoiler that describes Tol Brandir and The Argonath... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From The Great River: The Fellowship of the Ring

..."It was with a heavy heart that Frodo saw Aragorn and Legolas climb the steep bank and vanish into the mists; but his fears proved groundless. Only two or three hours had passed, and it was barely mid-day, when... ...the explorers appeared again.
... 'All is well,' said Aragorn, as he clambered down the bank. 'There is a track, and it leads to a good landing that is still serviceable. The distance is not great: the head of the Rapids is but half a mile below us, and they are little more than a mile long. Not far beyond them the stream becomes clear and smooth again, though it runs swiftly. Our hardest task will be to get... ...to the old portage-way... ...it lies well back from the water-side here, and runs under the lee of a rock-wall, a furlong or more from the shore.... ...I fear we must leave the River now, and make for the portage-way as best we can from here.'
... 'That would not be easy, even if we were all Men,' said Boromir.
... 'Yet such as we are we will try it,' said Aragorn...

... ...The task proved hard indeed... ...the ground that the Company now had to cross... ...sloped up away from the River, a tumbled waste of grey limestone-boulders, with many hidden holes shrouded with weeds and bushes; there were thickets of brambles, and sheer dells; and here and there boggy pools fed by waters trickling from the terraces further inland...
... ...Then with little further hindrance, save from sprawling briars and many fallen stones, they moved forward all together. Fog still hung in veils upon the crumbling rockwall, and to their left mist shrouded the River: they could hear it rushing and foaming over the sharp shelves and stony teeth of Sarn Gebir, but they could not see it...
... ...There the portage-way, turning back to the water-side, ran gently down to the shallow edge of a little pool. It seemed to have been scooped in the river-side, not by hand, but the water swirling down from Sarn Gebir against a low pier of rock that jutted out some way into the stream. Beyond it the shore rose sheer into a grey cliff, and there was no further passage for those on foot."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 2 2013, 1:24am

Post #13 of 13 (94 views)
Shortcut
TIME - September 1 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

September 1, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Bilbo finally finds one he sought.
(from Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth)
..."...after a week or two of this sneaking sort of life, by watching and following the guards and taking what chances he could, he managed to find out where each dwarf was kept. He found all their twelve cells in different parts of the palace, and after a time he got to know his way about very well."

September 1, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The Company makes its way north.
..."They went on into northern Dunland, where no man now dwelt, though it was a green and pleasant country. September came in with golden days and silver nights, and they rode at ease u0ntil they reached the Swanfleet river, and found the old ford, east of the falls where it went down suddenly into the lowlands. Far to the west in a haze lay the meres and eyots through which it wound its way to the Greyflood....
...So they passed into Eregion, and at last a fair morning dawned, shimmering above gleaming mists; and looking from their camp on a low hill the travellers saw away in the east the Sun catching three peaks that thrust up into the sky through floating clouds: Caradhras, Celebdil, and Fanuidhol. They were near to the Gates of Moria."

September 1, 3020 (S.R. 1420)
1. The Shire thrives.
..."...All the children born or begotten in that year, and there were many, were fair to see and strong, and most of them had a rich golden hair that had before been rare among hobbits. The fruit was so plentiful that young hobbits very nearly bathed in strawberries and cream... ...they sat on the lawns under the plum-trees and ate, until they had make piles of stones like small pyramids or the heaped skulls of a conqueror, and then they moved on. And no one was ill, and everyone was pleased, except those who had to mow the grass."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.