Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming & Collecting:
Light the Beacons: TheOneRing.net's Fellowship Fundraiser!

Garfeimao
Rohan

Aug 24 2013, 5:59pm

Post #1 of 6 (3037 views)
Shortcut
Light the Beacons: TheOneRing.net's Fellowship Fundraiser! Can't Post

First of all, we'd like to thank every one of you for helping make TheOneRing.net such a great community and fantastic place to catch up on, and discuss, the latest news, or just catch up with each other!

As a not for profit fan community, we depend on the support of fans like yourself to keep providing our distinctive reporting, unique events and community building efforts, plus our literary initialtive, The S.H.I.R.E. Project ("Sharing The Hobbit to Improve Reading" donating The Hobbit books to schools). To that end, we're kicking off a fundraising week!

There are many ways to help us out. If you prefer, you can simply donate cash (see the yellow "Donate" button to the left, or green "Donate" button on the home page). Check out the buttons at the top of the Home Page (links below) describing our thank-you gifts for various donation levels. You can also purchase a donated collectible from our Ebay auction that will run all week! Take a look at the Ebay link below to see if there's anything you need to help complete your collection! Be sure to check it often as items will be added up until Thursday, August 29th.

Search under Light the Beacons: TheOneRing.net's Fellowship Fundraiser!

$5 to $20 general donation

$25 bronze pledge

$50 silver pledge

$75 gold pledge

$150 platinum pledge

$400 mithril pledge

100% of every pledge goes to helping run the site or The S.H.I.R.E. project!!

(Do note that donations are not tax deductible).

Peace, Love and Rock & Roll,

Garfeimao
The orange stripey One

Cruise to Middle-earth

(This post was edited by Altaira on Aug 24 2013, 9:33pm)

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Aug 25 2013, 6:15pm

Post #2 of 6 (1620 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm, some connections missing? [In reply to] Can't Post

I went to one of these pages and clicked on an "add to cart" button, but was not offered a checkout, cart icon, or any kind of followup option. I went to the Beacons link, which does have a cart, but it said mine was empty. So, how does one actually donate?

(current Firefox on OSX 10.7.5)

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Aug 25 2013, 6:30pm

Post #3 of 6 (1610 views)
Shortcut
Also... [In reply to] Can't Post

The page has a note that says, "Please note, TheOneRing.net is NOT a 401c3 organization." That's understandable, since 401 organizations deal with pensions and profit sharing.

Did you mean, "501(c)(3)" which means non-profit organization for whom donations are tax deductible? If so, why state it like that? If TORn is a non-profit, purchases of objects like collectibles or books would not be deductible, but donations should be, shouldn't they?

And... there seems to be a t-shirt with these levels. Shouldn't you have an option to *not* get the shirt and have all funds go to TORn?

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 25 2013, 6:36pm

Post #4 of 6 (1600 views)
Shortcut
I tried just now [In reply to] Can't Post

I went to this page: http://theonering.myshopify.com/...cts/general-donation

When I clicked on the "Add to Cart" button, a red dot with the numeral 1 swirled up to the top of the page onto the cart button and then the cart icon showed "1"

If that doesn't happen to you, perhaps it's a browser issue or some adblocking software (although I run Adblock and it didn't interfere with it).

Sometimes and a browser that hasn't been updated to the latest version or a particular browser (from the choices of Firefox, Internet Explorer, Chrome, and Safari) won't work for me and I'll have to switch browsers. I have lots of coworkers that complain they can't do something on the net and it turns out that their browser needs updating. So see if updating or switching to another browser helps.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide
Attachments: ss.png (6.49 KB)

calisuri
PTB

Aug 25 2013, 7:31pm

Post #5 of 6 (1667 views)
Shortcut
Hopefully some answers... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Elizabeth,

First off, apologies for the technical issues you may be having with the shopify site. We are using their basic theme, and I had assumed it simply 'worked.' Hopefully you were able to figure it out.

As for the 501(c)(3) - you are of course correct in that we meant 501(c)(3) and not 401c3. I've updated that text.

Some of our staff expressed concerns that if we did not specify we are NOT a 501(c)(3), some might assume their donations are tax-deductible. It was not intended to confuse but to clarify. Obviously we didn't do a great job of either.

I will add a note to the pledge levels that if you prefer all of the money to be used towards TORn and not producing the merchandise, then you'll just need to mention that in the 'notes' field at checkout.

Hope that answers some of your questions, and thank you so much for considering a donation!

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Aug 26 2013, 12:06am

Post #6 of 6 (2667 views)
Shortcut
All good now, thanks!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.