Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
So last night was the full moon

RangerLady23
Lorien

Aug 21 2013, 4:56pm

Post #1 of 18 (413 views)
Shortcut
So last night was the full moon Can't Post

and one thing that I have found that I really enjoy doing is going out after total dark (the time doesn't matter), saddling up my beautiful horse and riding in the moonlight. It is so awesome and so very Elvish feeling that I love it. I would highly recommend it to anyone who likes to ride and has a horse that doesn't mind going for a midnight stroll. I have never felt more connected to Middle-earth than when I ride during a full moon on my sweet brown mare. Try it! Smile

Elizabeth
Valinor

Aug 21 2013, 8:39pm

Post #2 of 18 (210 views)
Shortcut
I also love the full moon! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have the good fortune to live in an apartment that looks out west over the ocean. I don't have a beautiful horse to ride (wish I did!), but I can go out on my balcony in the middle of a full-moon night and admire it. Here's a photo of last month's full moon setting. Last night's moon was, unfortunately, partly obscured by a lot of high clouds.

Hamfast Gamgee
Gondor

Aug 21 2013, 11:09pm

Post #3 of 18 (186 views)
Shortcut
As long as no Werewolves are about to get me! [In reply to] Can't Post

silneldor
Half-elven

Aug 22 2013, 12:28am

Post #4 of 18 (196 views)
Shortcut
I would like to add in here RangerLady23 [In reply to] Can't Post

Here is one i took last year

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
J.R.R. Tolkien

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Aug 22 2013, 1:50am

Post #5 of 18 (182 views)
Shortcut
I love the full moon [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the moon in general, it's so beautiful and relaxing. I don't have a horse, and currently live in the city. Frown It's like living next to Mordor where I'm at. One day, perhaps I will do what you did. Ride a horse at night under a full moon. It sounds fun and amazing.

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Aug 22 2013, 2:45am

Post #6 of 18 (178 views)
Shortcut
Moon [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm in a cabin on a lake in Maine right now. The moon is reflecting off the water and I will soon be swimming in moonlight. Angelic

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and his wonders in the deep.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 22 2013, 10:08am

Post #7 of 18 (177 views)
Shortcut
And it was a "Blue Moon"! [In reply to] Can't Post

Typically a Blue Moon is the second moon in one month, but the term also applies to the fourth moon in a quarter (three months).

I watched it rise, a day past the full, as I was driving last night - lovely still!

And always amazing, how much it brightens the night. Moon-shadows seem mystical. Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Lightfoot
Rivendell

Aug 22 2013, 11:53am

Post #8 of 18 (158 views)
Shortcut
I love riding in the moonlight too! [In reply to] Can't Post

It gets even better if there is a light frost on the ground to accompany the moonlight, then it is truly magical.

Faithful servant yet master's bane,
Lightfoot's foal, swift Snowmane

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Aug 22 2013, 10:03pm

Post #9 of 18 (135 views)
Shortcut
Bonus [In reply to] Can't Post

And as I was swimming, the loons started calling. Happy sigh. Smile

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and his wonders in the deep.

sherlock
Gondor

Aug 23 2013, 9:58am

Post #10 of 18 (117 views)
Shortcut
I was out walking early this morning & the moon was very bright. [In reply to] Can't Post

I tried to take a picture of my shadow with my cell phone but it came out as just the road. I thought maybe I was dead but I think it's just the phone is not that great as a camera.Crazy

silneldor
Half-elven

Aug 23 2013, 4:52pm

Post #11 of 18 (119 views)
Shortcut
I just remembered... [In reply to] Can't Post

Although i do not have a horse, i can relate the swim workouts i occasionally had (getting home late from work) swimming down the pond under a full (or less) moon. It is an amazing experience. It is usually calmer and if i take a pause the night sounds from the shore assail me especially this time with the crickets in full song.

Swimming in daylight the bubbles passing by are more golden. At night under a full moon the bubbles are like quick-silver or:) like mithril. Now i know how the ithildin would have looked upon the west door of Moria. Lovely indeed.

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
J.R.R. Tolkien

flameofudun
Lorien

Aug 23 2013, 8:09pm

Post #12 of 18 (107 views)
Shortcut
I thoroughly enjoy going out at night [In reply to] Can't Post

I usually sit and read in the moonlight, a middle earth book of course, and eat a stew or something. So relaxing and peaceful. I will do that again tonight if weather pertains. I live just out of the city so it is great. I have fields and forests, but sadly no mountains and caves. Thus I sit in the heavily forested area if my backyard and read a Tolkien book.

''We are very dangerous over short distances''

-Gimli

RangerLady23
Lorien

Aug 24 2013, 4:48pm

Post #13 of 18 (101 views)
Shortcut
Those are all such cool things to do [In reply to] Can't Post

and I will for sure be bundling up and riding in the frosty moonlight this winter. Thanks for the tip Lightfoot! I love the moonlight.

Misto
Lorien

Aug 25 2013, 8:47pm

Post #14 of 18 (95 views)
Shortcut
Used to do that in the 90ties [In reply to] Can't Post

And to be honest: I hated it. I imagine, it's lovely out in the fields, but here, where most of the landscape is woods, it's just not cool. I remember that one ride, where I desperately tried to make out the white stripe on the jacket of the person riding right in front of me and more often than not failed to. It was kind of nice on snowy days, though, albeit terribly cold.
Never mind that I live in an area now, where you have to cross streets to get out hacking. Streets that are busy at virtually any time of the day (thanks to it being a densely populated area). Besides, I don't even want to think of my barn owner's reaction if I came up with that idea. I guess the whole village would get to hear a fair share of his opinionSly

(This post was edited by Misto on Aug 25 2013, 8:51pm)

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Aug 27 2013, 8:29am

Post #15 of 18 (82 views)
Shortcut
I used to do that! [In reply to] Can't Post

I spent two summers leading trail rides at a conference center/working ranch in the high desert of northern New Mexico. It was pinon/juniper country, rolling desert flatlands flanked by painted-desert hills of green and purple and cliffs of red, yellow, and orange. Georgia O'Keefe country (we sometimes rode right by her house). We eagerly awaited the full moon each month, and the two or so days on either side of full. During the day, I took out paying guests of the Ranch, but on those moonlit nights, I took out my friends who were working there and we had the most incredible rides. The moon lit up the hills and cliffs so that they glowed other-worldly, like a moonscape; it was like discovering an entirely new parallel universe out on these so-familiar trails. Best of all, I always rode the horse that by the end of that second summer was to become my very first horse, whom I eventually owned for 21 years until he passed away last October. He was a Paint, 3/4 pure white, and under that moonlight he absolutely glowed. A perfect lead horse on those moonlit nights, as everyone behind us had no trouble seeing us, even if the moon popped behind the clouds! This was the horse I eventually was able to ride without any tack whatsoever (in enclosed areas, at least! he was too hot to trust in unenclosed areas!); we'd even jump full courses like that. He loved riding bridleless and was always more relaxed that way! He would even back, sidepass, and turn on haunches or forehand without a bridle (no halter, no neck rope, no nothing), just with voice and body cues. He was special. But I'll always look back on those moonlit rides at the Ranch as some of the most special times I ever had with him.

If I've done this right, here's a few links to some images of the area where we took those moonlit rides: here and here and probably the best one here.

Lightfoot
Rivendell

Aug 28 2013, 3:57pm

Post #16 of 18 (64 views)
Shortcut
Bareback and Bridless rules!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love riding in the "elvish fashion"! It takes some work at first but is a blast with a responsive horse!

Faithful servant yet master's bane,
Lightfoot's foal, swift Snowmane

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 29 2013, 1:09am

Post #17 of 18 (53 views)
Shortcut
Wow... [In reply to] Can't Post

...what amazing images this conjures up, of moonlight and eerie landscape and a white horse traversing with a mortal riding Elf-fashion...

And then, like Shadowfax, he traveled West with you. Such a beautiful story. Heart

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Aug 29 2013, 10:30am

Post #18 of 18 (113 views)
Shortcut
I wish I could put it into pictures! [In reply to] Can't Post

That moonglow on the high desert landscape with those red-rock cliffs was just unforgettable. Loved those rides.

Yep, he travelled West with me, and then so sadly last year he had to travel on, to the West where I cannot follow. Miss that dear old horse. :-( But it's fun remembering those early times with him.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.