Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
"I have become Earth's daughter."

Darkstone
Half-elven

Aug 26 2013, 6:24pm

Views: 216
Shortcut
"I have become Earth's daughter." [In reply to] Can't Post

1. What are your thoughts about the props and positioning of characters?

Seems to form elements of a choral ode from Greek theater. That is, Eldarion (“Son of the Elves”) performs the antistrope, moving left to right. Then Arwen performs the strope, moving right to left. (The reversal is a sly reference to the transposition of future with the past, which in itself is a further reference to Tolkien’s original intent of writing a time travel tale.) Of course the missing scene of the triad is Elrond as the final epode, or the motionless center. But your omission is quite correct, as the theme here is that of vital movement, not tired inertia.

2. The first picture is very green, while the second has a lot of autumnal colours.
What do you think this symbolises?

The green may symbolize the Matrix. That is, actually Sauron wins by placing everyone in a computer program where they think they destroyed the ring and hobbits are now little fat button batteries unknowingly powering the mantle clocks of an evil civilization. But then generally green has a positive meaning in Tolkien. So it may refer to the person of King Elessar Telcontar himself. Elessar (“Elf-Stone”) is named after the green gemstone of the Elves. Telcontar (“Strider”) is named after his green garbed ranger persona of the North. Green itself is associated with vigor and life. So by choosing Eldarion, Arwen is choosing life.

The brown shows a world in autumn, in decline, facing the cold of winter. Old Anglo-Saxon warriors were wary of winter. They feared dying ingloriously in their beds of illness or infirmity. So they often marched off in the autumn to deliberately find a warrior’s honorable death in battle. Of course Arwen is no warrior, but similarly she chooses to die alive in Middle-earth rather than live stagnant in Valinor.

Does it perhaps symbolise Arwen’s choice?

Firiel looked from the river-bank,
one step daring;
then deep in clay her feet sank,
and she halted staring.
Slowly the elven-ship went by
whispering through the water;
'I cannot come!' they heard her cry.
'I was born Earth's daughter!'

-The Last Ship, JRR Tolkien

One can either be an Arwen (“Noble Lady”) or a Firiel (”Mortal Lady”).

I think Firiels have more fun.

I think Arwen thought so too.

3. I think the autumn colours represent the 'time of the Elves being over' and, as Galadriel said, the time approaching for the ‘dominion of men’
Does this scene help convey that, or does Arwen’s vision and decision to ride back suggest that a little bit of Elven magic is still and always will exist in Middle Earth?

The theme of domination is precisely the point. Previously Arwen’s own foresight has been overridden by her father’s dominance. Now she is outside his influence she can see her own future for herself, unclouded by the doubts induced by his care and concern for her. It kind of shows how when the Elves leave Men can finally find their own “magic”. Then again, since Arwen stays we can all say we have Elven blood thanks to her.

(I won’t mention we also share Orc blood.)

4. Any thoughts about the music played in the background?

Purty.

5. Any other thoughts or comments about this scene?

I like how the thick columns of Gondor match the thick boles of the forest. Also how back where Aragorn is the columns are more delicate. A nice union of Man and Elf.

Also Eldarion runs across well-manicured grass to a room decorated with potted plants. Nature in Gondor is strictly controlled. In Rivendell plants are allowed to overgrow everything, leaving the ground untidily strewn with leaves.

There’s little doubt Elessar will rule as a good King, imposing order while encouraging growth and protecting nature. The world will be a garden, not a wilderness.

And nicely spotted about the child running to the father in both!

Once Gandalf dreamt he was a moth, a moth flitting and fluttering around, happy with himself and doing as he pleased. He didn't know he was Gandalf. Suddenly he woke up and there he was, solid and unmistakably Gandalf. But he didn't know if he was Gandalf who had dreamt he was a moth, or a moth dreaming he was Gandalf. Between Gandalf and a moth there must be some distinction! But really, there isn't, because he's actually Olórin dreaming he's both Gandalf *and* a moth!
-From Gandalfi: The Moth Dream

Subject User Time
SCOD: Arwen's Vision Silwen_Peredhil Send a private message to Silwen_Peredhil Aug 19 2013, 5:22pm
    nice choices dijomaja Send a private message to dijomaja Aug 20 2013, 12:10pm
    Love this scene... elaen32 Send a private message to elaen32 Aug 20 2013, 7:46pm
    I never realized that! Loresilme Send a private message to Loresilme Aug 20 2013, 9:47pm
        This scene never fails to hold me spellbound. Silwen_Peredhil Send a private message to Silwen_Peredhil Aug 22 2013, 12:45pm
    Autumn!? Faleel Send a private message to Faleel Aug 20 2013, 10:36pm
        It is Winter by the Calendar... Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Aug 21 2013, 7:17pm
    Such a pretty scene... Werde Spinner Send a private message to Werde Spinner Aug 21 2013, 1:09am
        Arwen's mantle Meneldor Send a private message to Meneldor Aug 21 2013, 2:43pm
            Ooh, good idea! Werde Spinner Send a private message to Werde Spinner Aug 21 2013, 2:56pm
        The mantle... FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Send a private message to FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Aug 21 2013, 6:00pm
            I love how it cascades to the ground. Silwen_Peredhil Send a private message to Silwen_Peredhil Aug 22 2013, 12:30pm
    I love these two scenes! Ardamírë Send a private message to Ardamírë Aug 21 2013, 8:44pm
        AUJ to FOTR Faleel Send a private message to Faleel Aug 21 2013, 10:36pm
            TABA will be summer Ardamírë Send a private message to Ardamírë Aug 21 2013, 11:53pm
                The Book says... Faleel Send a private message to Faleel Aug 22 2013, 1:12am
    "I have become Earth's daughter." Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Aug 26 2013, 6:24pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.