Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
A case for Tauriel - different yet same as canon characters
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Aug 20 2013, 1:57am

Post #51 of 63 (512 views)
Shortcut
Well I for one have said the same exact thing since seeing the trailer [In reply to] Can't Post

Yet her acting is described as "cringeworthy" and worse than a twelve-year-old's

And I still think so Wink..

I'll judge it for what it is when I see the film but I'm not expecting much anyways so it might end up being an Oscar worthy performance.. Who knows? Wink

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Aug 20 2013, 2:09am

Post #52 of 63 (518 views)
Shortcut
Eowyn, Film vs. Text [In reply to] Can't Post

I have not seen a TE of LotR since the last one left wide theatrical release, so my impressions may be coming more from the EEs - but I thought that the discussion Eowyn had with Eomer at Dunharrow regarding Merry and why she did not discourage him from going to war, was an excellent inclusion that (to me) successfully balanced the moping over Aragorn (as you wittilly summarize it).

I also feel that some of the moping over Aragorn in the movie reflected not just a romantic this is the guy that will ride into the sunset with me vibe, but also a hero worship vibe. A less female specific, more generalized admiration for a great warrior and leader she finds inspiring.

Though I seem to recollect that the moping over Aragorn was present in sufficient force in the books. I know other readers who have characterized her as "suicidal" over Aragorn (not an interpretation I would personally defend, but there is mopiness there for those that would see it).

While I would in no way have minded more Eowyn/Faramir scenes, I like them in the book, I did not mind that we did not learn of her future in much detail. We could consider it implied that she and Faramir eventually married but where they settled, what role they each had, etc. was not given us. I liked that they *both* retired from war and fighting.

Re: the Orc, you know, that was something I did not notice the first couple of times I saw the movie, and I have never thought of it as you do (needing a male rescuer). I think I first noticed the moment at all when I viewed the commentary on the EE disks. I think it was PJ making the point of how this moment sort of helped tie up the loose ends of the battle, the two different groups (Riders vs. Aragorn and Co.) reaching each other and helping one another.

I don't know, it just lacks purpose to me, the way Aragorn kills that Orc, for calling it a rescue. The Orc is just making the mistake of moving and being far enough off the ground to attract Aragorn's attention. I don't see that Aragorn was trying to rescue Eowyn (or even the anonymous Rider she could have been taken for).

Semper Fi
Rohan

Aug 20 2013, 2:14am

Post #53 of 63 (498 views)
Shortcut
Yep trailers are no indicators of acting quality [In reply to] Can't Post

They are compilations of scenes and lines that many time don't even match. Compressed in little over 2 minutes.

"RadagaStoner deserves no mercy!" Tauriel the Radagast Slayer, the Chief of Inglorious Elfguards

Semper Fi
Rohan

Aug 20 2013, 2:17am

Post #54 of 63 (499 views)
Shortcut
Standing up for Merry was wonderful [In reply to] Can't Post

I always shipped Eowyn and Merry and that scene made my ship sail.

"RadagaStoner deserves no mercy!" Tauriel the Radagast Slayer, the Chief of Inglorious Elfguards

Thorin's Oakenshield
The Shire

Aug 20 2013, 2:19am

Post #55 of 63 (499 views)
Shortcut
I agree with your points, Dweller [In reply to] Can't Post

There are definitely legitimate reasons for concern towards Tauriel, but whining about line delivery in a trailer is just grasping at straws. If there's one thing that's never been a problem in Jackson's Middle Earth films... it's the acting. Even Orlando Bloom and Liv Tyler gave good performances despite being inconsistent in other films. At this point, there is little to judge in regards to Lilly's performance, so there is absolutely no reason to call her acting bad. At the very least, she deserves a chance to prove herself.

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Aug 20 2013, 6:35am)

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Aug 20 2013, 2:22am

Post #56 of 63 (491 views)
Shortcut
Oh, thanks for that! [In reply to] Can't Post

I would take that as noncommital/avoiding discussion of a yet-unreleased movie, personally. But then, I'm an optimist!Laugh

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 20 2013, 6:44am

Post #57 of 63 (458 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't know... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And come on Be honest A LOT of Jackson's newer designs for the Hobbit look like generic D&D, Warhammer, WOW whatever you want to call them. Which I personally find demeaning to apply to Tolkien. Reason being that material is what sells with teens today.

I've never had anything to do with the above, and as such, Tauriel comes across as Tolkien-y to me. I don't see how the character (from what we've seen) is being disrespectful to Tolkien's mythology. But we'll see - either one of us may change our opinion. Wink

demnation
Rohan

Aug 20 2013, 7:01am

Post #58 of 63 (451 views)
Shortcut
Well stated [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Tauriel looks really cool and I can't wait to see her.

(on a side note, It's a little depressing to see TORn become a less and less friendly place as we get closer to the release of the film.)

"In the beginning the Universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Aug 20 2013, 7:14am

Post #59 of 63 (453 views)
Shortcut
It was during the very recent Evangeline Lilly Twitter Q&A.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua's thread is here

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

Semper Fi
Rohan

Aug 20 2013, 12:38pm

Post #60 of 63 (438 views)
Shortcut
Well, acting can go only up from "A diversion!" [In reply to] Can't Post

LaughLaughLaugh
But for those who didn't like Tauriel acting in the trailer, I suggest to trailer editor to Oscarize her scenes:

Tauriel in full histironics mode: "THIS.IS. OUR.FIGHT!" (breaks a plate over Legolas's head)

Legolas runs away screaming.

Tauriel takes out a knife, cuts her hair and then pulls out two teeth. Then sits on the rock, camera zooming her angushed face and

"there's evil in the world....(starts singing) There was a time when men were kind...and world was a song...there was a time then all it all went wrong...But the tigers come at night with their voices soft as thunder as they tear your hope apart as they turn your dream to SHA-A-A-A-ME!!!!"

C'mon even purists would bawl their eyes. Wink

glor
Rohan

Aug 21 2013, 12:16am

Post #61 of 63 (392 views)
Shortcut
well.. [In reply to] Can't Post

And come on Be honest A LOT of Jackson's newer designs for the Hobbit look like generic D&D, Warhammer, WOW whatever you want to call them. Which I personally find demeaning to apply to Tolkien. Reason being that material is what sells with teens today.

I don't know how old you are but, I am old enough to have read Tolkien before Warhammer, D&D, WOW etc.(yeah, I'm oldFrown)

Actually, I always felt that these things mimicked Tolkien, almost every late 20th Century fantasy creation of the visual culture kind, owes it's very existence to Tolkien. The Elves in Warcraft are tall creatures, that's Tolkien at work, not the twee Victorian vision of elves as small fairies. I could list the rest but I won't, the fact is that all of the things you have mentioned owe their visual style to Tolkien, Tolkien is what separates the overly sentimental Children's fairy stories of the 19th century from late 20th century Fantasy in all it's forms. Sorry but I think to claim that these modern fantasy creations are demeaning to Tolkien is to deny Tolkien's cultural influence, you and I for that matter may think they are simply imitations, but imitation is the signifier of influence.

To say that Jackson's newer designs look generic fantasy, is a bit odd, considering the historical chronology of fantasy and, the fact than some have bemoaned the fact that the dwarves aren't generic fantasy types with old faces, long grey beards or that Azog didn't look like some actor wearing a generic orc mask or costume.

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Aug 21 2013, 12:34am

Post #62 of 63 (401 views)
Shortcut
I'm old enough to remember [In reply to] Can't Post

the original D&D first starting. To me things like Warhammer, WOW, and such are OTT caricatures of what Tolkien intended. I think they took Tolkien's concept and exaggerated it. Something which I don't think is a good thing, in something supposed to resemble Tolkien's world. Sometimes IMO something more subtle is better and something based in reality and not OTT is more fitting for fantasy to resemble Tolkien's world . Not that the stuff is real but based on real things. Like how in LOTR Jackson wanted the creatures landscapes, structures though of as they were real. This time around the characters look OTT (Bifur with an axe in his head) and scenarios impossible for LOTR real world style. Granted LOTR had a few OTT thing mainly isolated to Legolas but they were few in comparison to what was done in the Hobbit AUJ, where the majority of stunts were OTT and next to impossible There IMO is a difference between influence and jumping on the bandwagon.Jackson has merely jumped on the bandwagon by changing his own vision of middle earth into a hyper stylized video game looking world instead of the realistic historically based world he created in his own LOTR... I would have rather had dwarfs that looked like they did in LOTR and as far as Azog he was a cartoon character put into real life scenes where to me he looked painted over the scene instead of a part of it. where as someone using prosthetics with maybe some CGI facial altering would have looked SO much better IMO. I'm not against using CGI but I think the combination of practical effects should combined with CGI instead of solely using CGI which IMO looks cartoonish and fake. ALl personal preference of course.

(This post was edited by sinister71 on Aug 21 2013, 12:35am)

Taladamir
The Shire

Aug 21 2013, 1:22am

Post #63 of 63 (408 views)
Shortcut
witch-king [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I am looking forward to seeing Tauriel in the movie. I think I may enjoy her and her interactions with Legolas and Thranduil.

I do think her hair is too long as a practical matter - it's less about Orcs pulling it in fights, and more about it tangling in everything (it seems to be consideraby longer than that of any of the other characters you mention, reaching down are far as her knees). But this does not bother me because...it's so pretty! For me I can consider it unrealistic but enjoy seeing it at the same time. Like the ridiculous size of the (flail? not sure of the correct name of this weapon) used by the Lord of the Nazgul in his duel with Eowyn. It did make the scene more visually dramatic though.

(Though, actually, now that I tried to find a good shot to illustrate this extreme length- the best is this rear view of a Tauriel figurine, and it suggests there may be some hairstyle addressing this anyway...)

http://thefwoosh.com/...012/10/tauriel-4.jpg Morning Star i believeCool The original design was a spiked mace i think, they went with the super-sized morning star in the end.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.