Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Introduction of Beorn in DOS

DuBekar
Rivendell

Aug 18 2013, 9:55am

Post #1 of 20 (1189 views)
Shortcut
Introduction of Beorn in DOS Can't Post

How will it be played out?

Will they meet him in human form first? Will Bilbo be afraid of his size? Will Beorn "insult" Bilbo and the dwarfs at first sight, as joke of course (he ain't a racist ;) ) Or will it be more like the book?

This is probably the thing i´m looking forward to most in DOS.

Tell me what you think :)

And yes i love the design of Beorn (as long as he got his beard)

" Why, O people of Noldor! Fëanor cried. Why should we longer serve the jealous Valar, who cannot keep us nor even their own realm secure from their enemy? And though he be now their foe, are not they and he of one kin? Vengence calls me hence, but even were it otherwise I would not dwell longer in the same land with the kin of my father's slayer and of the thief of treasure. Yet i am not the only valiant in this valiant people. And have ye not all lost your King? And what else have ye not lost, cooped here in a narrow land between the mountains and the sea? Here once was light, that the Valar begrudged to middle-earth, but now dark levels all. Shall we mourn here deedless forever, a shadow-folk, mist-haunting, dropping vain tears in the thankless sea? Or shall we return to our home? In cuiviènen sweet ran the waters under uncloaded stars, and wide lands lay about, where a free people might walk. There they lie still and await us who in out folly forsook them. Come away! Let the cowards keep this city!"

(This post was edited by DuBekar on Aug 18 2013, 9:56am)

LordotRings93
Rohan

Aug 18 2013, 11:37am

Post #2 of 20 (577 views)
Shortcut
Won't be like the book [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm pretty certain it's not gonna play out like the book (thankfully). The Beorn intro in the books works well for the book, but adapted like that word-for-word on screen it'd be tedious and a little laughable. I think (only going by the first trailer here) that the Company will be running from Azog or something and Gandalf will direct them towards Beorn's house. Beorn arrives and thinks them intruders and tries to burst in to his house ala the trailer. Again, it might play out this way, but one thing's almost sure that it won't be like the book.

Lover of Medieval Fantasy
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Macfeast
Rohan

Aug 18 2013, 12:03pm

Post #3 of 20 (525 views)
Shortcut
No need to do it word-for-word. [In reply to] Can't Post

People said that the dwarves arriving at Bag End in six distinct groups as per the book would be tedious, and what did PJ do? He compromised, by shortening it down so that it wouldn't get to the point where it felt tedious, yet he also allowed it to go on long enough to capture the spirit of the book. No reason the same couldn't be done at Beorn's house; There is plenty of room between "100% true-to-the-book, word-for-word" and "something completely different".

That said, I can imagine that it might feel redundant, like a rehash of what happened in AUJ, and dropped for that reason. On the other hand, I think it would be a shame to lose out on one of Gandalf's moments of cleverness and wit, not to mention the charming humor of it all.

(This post was edited by Macfeast on Aug 18 2013, 12:07pm)

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

Aug 18 2013, 12:03pm

Post #4 of 20 (578 views)
Shortcut
By the photo and the trailer and some vlog shots [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel that they will enter the fence being pursued by orcs and they find Beorn choping wood and he gets angry and morphs into the huge bear of the trailer chasing them into the house. Then the photo of the calendar would be a transition from human state to bear state, or something

Because I heard that he ws going to hve both prosthetics and CG over his face

Beorn is in da house lads!

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 18 2013, 12:33pm

Post #5 of 20 (476 views)
Shortcut
Hope we're introduced to his bees first // [In reply to] Can't Post

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

Aug 18 2013, 2:22pm

Post #6 of 20 (455 views)
Shortcut
perhaps they are running from the bees not from the orcs [In reply to] Can't Post

Wich I prefer A LOT MORESmile

Barrow-Wight
Lorien

Aug 18 2013, 3:08pm

Post #7 of 20 (418 views)
Shortcut
Now That's An Idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

way to think outside the box I never would have thought of that!

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Aug 18 2013, 3:18pm

Post #8 of 20 (408 views)
Shortcut
YES!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I like that idea much better.. Smile

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 18 2013, 3:52pm

Post #9 of 20 (369 views)
Shortcut
Team effort, High five!! [In reply to] Can't Post

That sounds like a great idea Smile

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

Aug 18 2013, 3:53pm

Post #10 of 20 (372 views)
Shortcut
In a few months or less we will know it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

Barrow-Wight
Lorien

Aug 18 2013, 4:56pm

Post #11 of 20 (340 views)
Shortcut
perfect oppritunity [In reply to] Can't Post

for some 3D stinger action!

dormouse
Half-elven

Aug 18 2013, 5:56pm

Post #12 of 20 (338 views)
Shortcut
Given that it's going to come very near the beginning.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... they might use the introductions to Beorn as a way of re-introducing the main characters. But I don't think they would spin it out as long as in the book - perhaps they might start with Bilbo and Gandalf and then bring the dwarves in in one group, of two. Something like that, keeping the flavour of the original but speeding it up

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 18 2013, 6:04pm

Post #13 of 20 (309 views)
Shortcut
People complained that you had to watch FotR before watching TTT, maybe that won't be the case with The Hobbit // [In reply to] Can't Post

sycorax82
Rohan

Aug 18 2013, 8:19pm

Post #14 of 20 (264 views)
Shortcut
I think Bilbo and the Dwarves will be saved by a huge bear [In reply to] Can't Post

and then we will see the bear morph into Beorn. I'm also convinced Beorn will be little more than a cameo in DoS, with more scenes saved for the EE. There's so much that has to be crammed into DoS I can't see him being onscreen for more than 5 minutes.

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

Aug 18 2013, 8:39pm

Post #15 of 20 (253 views)
Shortcut
It´s going to be more [In reply to] Can't Post

Presbrandt talked about a scene where he was torturing an orc or something wich I feel is true to the book

Long Hammer
The Shire

Aug 20 2013, 5:56pm

Post #16 of 20 (135 views)
Shortcut
Attack at Beorn's house [In reply to] Can't Post

Obviously in the book, there is no conflict with the bears, but the trailer shows something going on. Do you think this is a "go outside at your own peril" or maybe a departure from the book where Beorn wants to keep them there until he can check out the story for himself and the company is being "held" until he gets back?

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Aug 20 2013, 8:31pm

Post #17 of 20 (109 views)
Shortcut
whatever it is [In reply to] Can't Post

they could have made him look less like "Fluffy" from the Harry Potter film. That's the only thing I see when I see that part of the trailer, is an obviously fake looking animal face. Just like the 3 headed dog from the first Harry Potter film. The CGI for his bear form looks fake and horrible to me, very cartoonish. I would have much rather seen them use a real bear for some of the shots and do it with scaling or a real bear combined with CG instead of constantly making everything CGI from scratch which IMO is not always better. I mean really close ups of a bear would have worked rather well and at least gave the character some realism His human form isn't much better from what we have seen so far either. Beorn was a character I was looking forward to seeing but after seeing him so far I really couldn't care less at this point about him.

Cirashala
Grey Havens

Aug 20 2013, 8:49pm

Post #18 of 20 (109 views)
Shortcut
animals on set [In reply to] Can't Post

I heard from someone else on here on a much passed thread that NZ is not native to any bear species, certainly not to a black bear like Beorn was supposed to be (or grizzlies or a brown bear, which he seems to be colored more like, though the facial features are not the same).

I also seem to recall something from a long while ago (possibly in LOTR EE appendices, but again, memory seems to fail me), that NZ also has very very strict laws regarding animals imported into the country for use on films. I believe I saw something regarding the horses used in LOTR had to come from NZ itself, and not from out of country.

Perhaps the reason (besides the obvious "ease" good or ill of cgi and less cost) for them not using a real bear with a trainer is because they cannot import the bear "actor" from out of the country for the film?

Whether or not Beorn in bear form looks like a real bear is debatable (I come from bear country-I live in the foothills of the mountains in the Western US and when I was little I saw a grizzly cross a busy freeway while we were in the car, and though I am relieved that I have not seen a live bear up close *extremely dangerous*, I also live in a very popular hunting area, my husband works in a sporting goods store that sells hunting licenses and paraphernalia, and another sporting goods/hunting store in my town has many stuffed real animals for display, bears and mounted bear heads among them, plus many of the souvenirs around here have pictures of bears on them as well as other wildlife).

I personally thing that Beorn's face and especially snout are not fitting with the color/type of bear that PJ&co present him to be (again, brown bear/grizzly tends to be that shade of brown, and grizzlies have a shorter snout, flatter and rounder face, and their ears are more tucked in).

But, regardless, I think using a real bear may not have been an option. They could have done more research for the cgi, unless they didn't want him to look exactly like a real bear, just like they didn't seem to want him to look fully human from what little we have seen in his human form.

Tauriel (as her hair catches during BO5A)- Ah, now I understand why you keep your beard so short, master Kili!
Kili: Um, because it grows slowly? (glares at her for perceived insult)
Tauriel: Because your arrows don't get tangled in your *^%*(^$%* beard every time you shoot! (more curses as it gets further tangled)
Kili: Um, YEAH! That's it! That's why I keep my beard short! (strides off triumphantly with a huge grin on his face, still shooting arrows as the cursing and tangles continues behind him)

Tauriel keeps fighting the tangles on the battlefield long after Dain takes the throne and Dale is rebuilt. Frodo takes the ring to Morder and once Sauron is defeated she FINALLY gets the last arrow out.

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Aug 20 2013, 9:03pm

Post #19 of 20 (95 views)
Shortcut
I guess... [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps the reason (besides the obvious "ease" good or ill of cgi and less cost) for them not using a real bear with a trainer is because they cannot import the bear "actor" from out of the country for the film?

well they could have always shot that stuff in England like they did Ian Holm's scenes and some of Christopher Lee's, I just find it very unsatisfying that Beorn in either form looks like nothing real man nor bear. Personally I used to live near the Adirondack mountains and have also hunted, so I know what a bear looks like, even up close. Since I have shot one myself once which sadly I couldn't afford to have stuffed but the meat sure tasted good Wink.

But anyways you would think WETA would do more research to make Beorn look as real as possible in either form. At this point he reminds me of some inbred mountain man with an 80s mullet. Which IMO is not a good thing. Nothing worthy of the Beorn Tolkien wrote anyways Smile

Cirashala
Grey Havens

Aug 20 2013, 9:39pm

Post #20 of 20 (101 views)
Shortcut
man form [In reply to] Can't Post

It is possible that, to our modern society, a historical hair style would look strange to us. Plus, the picture is fuzzy and from the back so it's hard to tell. Remember the interesting sideburn-to-lip beards where the chin itself was bare in the mid-19th century? Such a hairstyle would look rather strange to us now, but it was all the rage back then Wink

I heard some things on here about it looking very "Pictish" like what IIRC is an old Celtic tribe's warrior look, and will have to do my research on the era that Tolkien enjoyed and took inspiration from for his works to see what their various styles were, but if it is indeed homage to that time period and people (and the 80's 'mullet' was just a modern retro version of an age-old style) then I will be impressed that they did their research (for once-again, thinking bear look), even if I don't care for the mullet style and never have-I personally think mullets look stupid.

It is also possible that the actor will have both practical and cgi effects, and, like that fiery orange hyper saturated haired Tauriel picture that was released a month or two ago, what we see in the released photo might not resemble the final character's image when the movie is seen.

Of course, I could just be an optimist Wink I don't think it is possible for every single person to like the look of every single character, but then again if we all agreed, how could we debate Smile

Tauriel (as her hair catches during BO5A)- Ah, now I understand why you keep your beard so short, master Kili!
Kili: Um, because it grows slowly? (glares at her for perceived insult)
Tauriel: Because your arrows don't get tangled in your *^%*(^$%* beard every time you shoot! (more curses as it gets further tangled)
Kili: Um, YEAH! That's it! That's why I keep my beard short! (strides off triumphantly with a huge grin on his face, still shooting arrows as the cursing and tangles continues behind him)

Tauriel keeps fighting the tangles on the battlefield long after Dain takes the throne and Dale is rebuilt. Frodo takes the ring to Morder and once Sauron is defeated she FINALLY gets the last arrow out.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.