Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Laketown, Thranduil's palace and our dwarves-DOS speculation

Cirashala
Grey Havens

Aug 17 2013, 10:58pm

Post #1 of 19 (1275 views)
Shortcut
Laketown, Thranduil's palace and our dwarves-DOS speculation Can't Post

So, I have been curious. I know that there are a few rumors about a certain "love plot" though I already am thinking that it was either a joke (hoping) or that it is not between the people that was said... I don't know, but it could be fun to speculate.

Anyways, how do you suppose the dwarves will end up spending their time imprisoned? Are they going to be isolated in individual cells like in the book? Or are they going to be grouped in pairs, threes, or even all be in one cell? Is Thorin going to be in the cell with them or is he going to have to be found by Bilbo?

Do you think there are going to be individual interrogation scenes like the one with the Orc where each dwarf (or maybe some key dwarves) will have their little moment to shine, or insult the elves?

Will we see Kili's slightly more open-mindedness during such a scene maybe?

And....off to laketown.....

It appears that Bard sneaks the dwarves in (from what we have seen in the vlogs), so how is he going to manage to hide 13 dwarves (including an injured dwarf) and a hobbit in the city?

Will the people of laketown shower them with gifts (we know already that they get new clothes and weapons, but in the book they were absolutely lavished with gifts above and beyond that).

Will they encounter suspicion? Is the master possibly in league with the orcs that invade the city (as per vlogs?)

Curious as to theories! We have to have something to do while we wait for DOS to arrive after all Cool

Tauriel (as her hair catches during BO5A)- Ah, now I understand why you keep your beard so short, master Kili!
Kili: Um, because it grows slowly? (glares at her for perceived insult)
Tauriel: Because your arrows don't get tangled in your *^%*(^$%* beard every time you shoot! (more curses as it gets further tangled)
Kili: Um, YEAH! That's it! That's why I keep my beard short! (strides off triumphantly with a huge grin on his face, still shooting arrows as the cursing and tangles continues behind him)

Tauriel keeps fighting the tangles on the battlefield long after Dain takes the throne and Dale is rebuilt. Frodo takes the ring to Morder and once Sauron is defeated she FINALLY gets the last arrow out.

flameofudun
Lorien

Aug 17 2013, 11:52pm

Post #2 of 19 (614 views)
Shortcut
Well from what I gather [In reply to] Can't Post

In one of the vlogs we have seen balin or some dwarf in an individual cell with tauriel and legolas in front of the cell in the foreground. So we know they will be in individualized cells.

''We are very dangerous over short distances''

-Gimli

Bombadil
Half-elven

Aug 18 2013, 1:31am

Post #3 of 19 (599 views)
Shortcut
The very last Shot of Laketown, in the Trailer shows.. [In reply to] Can't Post

a boat with 14 Barrels
on-Board,(In the middle )
if you Freeze the Frame.
Barrels w/ Lids on.

Bomby

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Aug 18 2013, 1:47am

Post #4 of 19 (608 views)
Shortcut
Here are the images from prior to the Dwarves' escape [In reply to] Can't Post

The Dwarves are put in dungeon cells, apparently individually:

(Oversized image removed - Ataahua.)

Balin In The Dungeon as Legolas and Tauriel discuss the situation

Tauriel first notices that the cells are empty:

Tauriel outside a dungeon cell

Then she informs Thranduil, who is in his dressing gown, presumably in his private chamber:

Tauriel and Thranduil

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Aug 18 2013, 2:19am)

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Aug 18 2013, 2:30am

Post #5 of 19 (554 views)
Shortcut
Not 100% awake yet [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry forgot to shoot down the first image (Balin in the dungeon as Legolas and Tauriel discuss the situation). Here we are:

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Aug 18 2013, 2:52am

Post #6 of 19 (477 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Cirashala
Grey Havens

Aug 18 2013, 4:15am

Post #7 of 19 (482 views)
Shortcut
translation [In reply to] Can't Post

has anyone translated what Tauriel says to Legolas in this clip?

Thanks for possibly confirming that the cells were only big enough for one dwarf Smile

One question answered, many more to come! Wink

Tauriel (as her hair catches during BO5A)- Ah, now I understand why you keep your beard so short, master Kili!
Tauriel: Because your arrows don't get tangled in your *^%*(^$%* beard every time you shoot! (more curses as it gets further tangled)
Kili: Um, YEAH! That's it! That's why I keep my beard short! (strides off triumphantly with a huge grin on his face, still shooting arrows as the cursing and tangles continues behind him)

Tauriel keeps fighting the tangles on the battlefield long after Dain takes the throne and Dale is rebuilt. Frodo takes the ring to Morder and once Sauron is defeated she FINALLY gets the last arrow out.

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Aug 18 2013, 6:19am

Post #8 of 19 (479 views)
Shortcut
I've tried... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and mostly failed Frown. My best guess is that she says something like " ú-dangada e orchal, Legolas" which may be along the lines of "I am not sure about the leader, Legolas", possibly referring to Thorin-- maybe he is in a deep dark dungeon cell all alone, as in the book. Or I may be way off base. Without at least a transcription, it's almost impossible. Perhaps those who know a lot more about Sindarin than I do can have a look at this comment and help us out.

Seaber
Rivendell

Aug 18 2013, 8:23am

Post #9 of 19 (415 views)
Shortcut
Could be talking about Thranduil too [In reply to] Can't Post

We know he falls out with Legolas/Tauriel

Hamfast Gamgee
Gondor

Aug 18 2013, 12:47pm

Post #10 of 19 (377 views)
Shortcut
I have a feeling [In reply to] Can't Post

That we can just about forget everything we know in the book on this one and PJ will do things his own way. I only hope that he does show Bilbo using a bit of initiatvie also that any romance involving Tauriel is very brief and subtle and that it is done well. I am not convinced all of my hopes are going to be fulfilled!

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

Aug 18 2013, 2:28pm

Post #11 of 19 (316 views)
Shortcut
why are the cellīs doors of dwarven size? [In reply to] Can't Post

Also in bag end Gandalf when he is telling that of all great stories deserve enbellisment...he is sitting on a chair of his sizeTongue

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!

morro91
Bree

Aug 18 2013, 3:32pm

Post #12 of 19 (311 views)
Shortcut
Re door size [In reply to] Can't Post

im sure if you really think about it, there are many size/height issues in lotr/hobbit. it cant be the easiest filming, and we know ian mckellen had issues in the early days of hobbit filming because he was by himself in a green screen bag end

in terms of the size of the cell door, they probably generally capture orcs rather than dwarves, and perhaps they want a door servicable to get them in, but painfully. anyways, its hardly the most important thing

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

Aug 18 2013, 3:36pm

Post #13 of 19 (307 views)
Shortcut
you spotted on one thing I tought about the other day about capturing orcs [In reply to] Can't Post

For what? I mean, there is a scene were Thranduil is making questions to a captured orc, I thought what the elves do with them.

I dont think orcs commite suicide if they have them for a long period of time on a cell, for they have no lollalty to no one, only they obey by fear, but I dont know... thatīs a weird thing to think about.

I suppose they kill them, or they will use the as slaves?Crazy

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Aug 18 2013, 4:09pm

Post #14 of 19 (276 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf's chair [In reply to] Can't Post

Your eyes may have been fooled by the perspective (the chair is in the very foreground, while Bilbo's armchair is in the background). Run the film until Gandalf is just settling down on the chair, and you will see the size comparison. For a Hobbit it would be described as a high-backed chair.

morro91
Bree

Aug 18 2013, 6:50pm

Post #15 of 19 (220 views)
Shortcut
Big chair [In reply to] Can't Post

Yer its big, perhaps it was Bullroarer Tooks' or for a big hobbit who came to visit. The chair doesn't look like its meant to be in that living room, but was somewhere in his house and brought out for Gandalf or something like that.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Aug 18 2013, 7:27pm

Post #16 of 19 (225 views)
Shortcut
This might show a mean side of Thorin. [In reply to] Can't Post

I can imagine his Elves capturing (full-sized) enemies and holding them in cells that are purposefully too small for them as part of psychological torture.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

Aug 18 2013, 7:28pm

Post #17 of 19 (206 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I like bulroarerīs [In reply to] Can't Post

Since the place its full of family reliquias

Cirashala
Grey Havens

Aug 18 2013, 8:24pm

Post #18 of 19 (191 views)
Shortcut
cell size [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe the doors are smaller to ensure that there is less likelihood of escape?

Kind of like windows in cells are typically smaller than actual windows and only are there for the purpose of letting in light?

I like the idea that the cells are small and cramped- that would be an excellent way to get someone to just "come out with it" after a bit.

Maybe the cells are bigger inside than their doors indicate?

Maybe ensure boredom takes hold? I can imagine that it would get very boring and tedious to be in a cell that isn't that big for a while-not enough room to pace, and perhaps using claustrophobia to their advantage?

Can't wait to see what the elvenking's dungeons look like from the inside Smile

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

Aug 18 2013, 8:37pm

Post #19 of 19 (199 views)
Shortcut
It reminds me of the balconee of Rivendel in FOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

When Frodo awakes and contemplates de valley, its hobbit sized, but well perhaps was a small wall for elves, I think this for me is pointless.

Let there be cells, chairs, balconees, and hobbits...let there be LOTR!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.