Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Limitations of budget and time

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Aug 18 2013, 7:53pm

Views: 50
Shortcut
Limitations of budget and time [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
With its short running time, cheap animation and rather less well known history I'm not sure it would benefit from a high quality upgrade-and there probably wouldn't be any interesting special features (the main reasons I buy Blu Rays-such as the Alien Anthology or Apocalyps Now)

The Rankin/Bass The Hobbit was made for a 90-minute time-slot on commercial television, which limited it to its 72-minute runtime. I always felt thet the film would have benefitted from a two-hour slot and a budget that would allow for expanding it to aroound 90 to 100 minutes. If nothing else, the Arkenstone, and the plot-point of Thorin's anger over Bilbo finding it and giving it up to Bard and the Elvenking, could have been included. Perhaps Beorn could have been restored to the story as well. And there is the Wood-elves' feast, which gets mentioned but not seen.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Aug 18 2013, 7:56pm)

Subject User Time
Any chance we'll see a Blu-ray release of The Hobbit 1977? QuackingTroll Send a private message to QuackingTroll Aug 17 2013, 7:02pm
    I just checked shadowdog Send a private message to shadowdog Aug 17 2013, 7:48pm
    One can only hope they release it Sinister71 Send a private message to Sinister71 Aug 17 2013, 7:52pm
        Yes. There is an entirely different list of things to complain about. Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Aug 17 2013, 8:33pm
            Hey cut me some slack Sinister71 Send a private message to Sinister71 Aug 17 2013, 8:56pm
                Interesting ... DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Aug 17 2013, 9:48pm
                    I agree with you absolutely about that... dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Aug 17 2013, 9:53pm
                        There isn't much chance of us disagreeing. DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Aug 18 2013, 10:42am
                            You're just jealous of his wig.... ;-) // dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Aug 18 2013, 11:01am
                Hope you feel better soon ! // Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Aug 17 2013, 11:14pm
            Elrond's funky halo? Starling Send a private message to Starling Aug 17 2013, 9:03pm
                Funky, sparkly halo Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Aug 17 2013, 9:08pm
                    Yes, that is Starling Send a private message to Starling Aug 17 2013, 9:13pm
                    Ahhhhh! Werde Spinner Send a private message to Werde Spinner Aug 18 2013, 2:10am
    I love the Rankin Bass Hobbit, but I'm nor really sure it merits a Blu Ray release malickfan Send a private message to malickfan Aug 17 2013, 10:04pm
        Rankin Bass/Arkenstone *book spoliers* arithmancer Send a private message to arithmancer Aug 17 2013, 10:26pm
            Fair Enough, and good points, each to their own-though I actually read The Hobbit after LOTR and Unfinished Tales malickfan Send a private message to malickfan Aug 17 2013, 10:46pm
                Literacy arithmancer Send a private message to arithmancer Aug 17 2013, 11:16pm
                    Rest assured I do wallow in the details too...I'm just glad they aren't always in abundance malickfan Send a private message to malickfan Aug 17 2013, 11:45pm
        Money is all that really matters... QuackingTroll Send a private message to QuackingTroll Aug 17 2013, 10:54pm
            Is it just my copy...or does the DVD continue to run for five minutes after the film had ended malickfan Send a private message to malickfan Aug 17 2013, 10:57pm
        Limitations of budget and time Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Aug 18 2013, 7:53pm
    While we are here...is the 1980 Return of the King worth watching? malickfan Send a private message to malickfan Aug 17 2013, 11:02pm
        Where there's a whip, there's a way! QuackingTroll Send a private message to QuackingTroll Aug 17 2013, 11:51pm
            Ok if its going cheap I'll give it a spin malickfan Send a private message to malickfan Aug 17 2013, 11:59pm
                Denethor and The Mouth of Sauron were the only characters that really spoke Tolkien's dialogue QuackingTroll Send a private message to QuackingTroll Aug 18 2013, 12:18am
        Re: 1980 Rankin/ Bass RotK sueb1863 Send a private message to sueb1863 Aug 18 2013, 3:56pm
    The cartoon abominations should just be forgotten LordotRings93 Send a private message to LordotRings93 Aug 17 2013, 11:27pm
        The Ralph Bakshi Blu-ray has sold well, I don't see why the R/B ones wouldn't // QuackingTroll Send a private message to QuackingTroll Aug 17 2013, 11:57pm
    Just found a cool trailer mash-up QuackingTroll Send a private message to QuackingTroll Aug 18 2013, 12:31pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.