Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond - There and Back Again Challenge!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Aug 15 2013, 11:14pm

Post #1 of 13 (158 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond - There and Back Again Challenge! Can't Post

Welcome back to the Walk, everyone! Sorry for the skipped post last week; it truly was unintentional. Last Thursday, I had all the stats ready and was about to write the post when the kids came downstairs at my sister's house in Oregon, and things have been nonstop for me ever since! But we're back home now and getting Beamer and my Hobbit ready for school, so my schedule will soon settle into school-year mode.

At any rate, how have things been going the past couple weeks? What beautiful walks, fun swims, challenging runs, and so on, have you been getting up to? Where in Middle Earth have all those activities brought you? I'll post our stats tomorrow, when I don't have errands to run!

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

Joe-Mathews
Rivendell

Aug 16 2013, 3:57am

Post #2 of 13 (67 views)
Shortcut
No worries, Arandiel [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been lax in walking so delaying only makes my numbers look better.

I've been fighting off a sinus infection thing this week, too. So if I look a little thin and stretched out like butter over too much bread, it is due to my health and has nothing to do with the little golden ring I found on the trail.

I wish I could walk more often so I really could get thinner instead of just feeling thinner.

Enough of the excuses! Here's my numbers:

Since last post: 12.33 miles
Challenge total: 245.91
Total total: 326.01
Miles to go: 721.09

And now for some pics from the past week:

All pretty run-of-the-mill stuff. I'm heading into bug season for me, so enjoy the birds while they last.

Keep walking, everyone!

'There is some woe that lies upon you... Why will you not tell me more?'
'For that woe is past,' said Galadriel; 'and I would take what joy is here left, untroubled by memory. And maybe there is woe enough yet to come, thought still hope may seem bright.'

Angharad73
Rohan

Aug 16 2013, 8:34am

Post #3 of 13 (68 views)
Shortcut
Reporting back... [In reply to] Can't Post

So, I've been away for three weeks? Two weeks? Honestly, I'm losing track of time here with the school holidays and all. Must have been three weeks, I guess. And we've been on holiday - well, to visit my in-laws in France, at any rate (somehow, when family is invovled, it never really feels like a proper holiday). I went with the best intentions of getting some walking done - after all, I don't get a chance to walk in foreign fields that often, do I? Of course, that didn't really happen. First, I had a migraine for two days, which I spent lying down or sleeping, mostly. And then, after that was finally gone, I managed to do something unspeakable to my back and could barely move for a week. Still, we did have some fun during our holiday, like spening an afternoon in a corn maze and going to the zoo.

And here is my progress for the last three weeks...

Miles walked: 67
Cumulative miles: 1036
Challenge: There and Back Again!

So, I am somewhere on the way back now, I suppose?

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 16 2013, 1:15pm

Post #4 of 13 (55 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad you were kept busy on your vacation :D [In reply to] Can't Post

You were doing it right if you didn't have time to mess with the computer... so your distraction is totally understandable! I'm glad you've made it home safe and sound and filled with good memories :D

I did really well that first week... blasted with mileage... but this week has me down for a couple of days with a pretty severe allergic reaction to pulling out my periwinkle ground cover around the house. I had this happen 2 years ago, but that was saw dust, sap, and lots of contamination. This was pulling a few handfulls out of the ground. I look like an ORC! So I'm not getting much done right now :) Thankfully I know it's temporary. Unfortunately, the steroids they want me to take are what made me gain 15 pounds that never would come off. Steroids changed my cells, so what looks and feels like fat is just me now. So I'm pretty upset about possibly having more added on with this round. We'll see.

Have fun on the Road everyone!!!

Miles covered: 44 miles over 2 weeks
Cumulated miles: 23103
Goal: #2 Unexpected Journey Individual Challenge and contributing to the Group :)

5th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013
1st draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Elwen
Lorien

Aug 16 2013, 4:58pm

Post #5 of 13 (64 views)
Shortcut
Low mileage, but good incentive now [In reply to] Can't Post

Only 3 miles this week, but I just signed mysellf and my 9 year old up for a Color Run next month. I haven't run a 5K in 20 years and my goal is run this one without stopping.

photo Desolation-of-Smaug2_zpsc1584ee1.jpg
Tauriel: So let me get this straight sir, this Elwen girl is back on something called TORn, and rather than just tell her to stop stalking you, you'd like me to show up in a movie I have no business being in as a ploy to distract her, and nevermind the wrath of countless Tolkien fans who will be calling for my destruction?

Legolas: That about sums it up. Besides, some people might like you. Oh, and to be on the safe side, can we pretend to be a couple too?

(This post was edited by Elwen on Aug 16 2013, 4:58pm)

Delrond
Rohan

Aug 16 2013, 9:15pm

Post #6 of 13 (62 views)
Shortcut
Another four weeks have breezed by. [In reply to] Can't Post

Greetings, fellow walkers, talkers, hikers, bikers, swimmers and scratchers and relaxers. Hard to believe Little D is already over 2 weeks into school, taking tests and making new friends. Not a whole lot of excitement to report, just the normal grind of yard work, circuit training and running, plus some swimming and basketball time with LD thrown in for good measure.

I've never done a color run 5K, but my nieces have and they had a blast! I took most of July off from the timed 5K's, but I have 4 in the next 6 weeks beginning next Saturday with a college colors 5K (I'll be wearing green), then a break for Labor Day, followed by 3 straight weekends competing against myself. Maybe a personal best in one of those, as 2 of them are on flat courses around the canal downtown.

In any case, after 2 weekends of no travel, I'm headed out state for the weekend to visit family. I hope everyone is doing well in their own challenges; mine is inching closer to its end. I should be there in a few weeks, gramma - so find sil and have a roaring fire at the ready. Laugh

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Miles since last check-in: 102.7
Cumulative miles: 1984.7
Goal: There and Back Again!

We have just set out from Bree after enjoying the comforts of the Inn and The Prancing Pony, then a quick trip to the drive-thru at Whataburger. Pretty soon the Old Forest will be in sight.

A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 17 2013, 2:40pm

Post #7 of 13 (44 views)
Shortcut
Wonderful Pics! *waves HI* [In reply to] Can't Post

I envy your trails! And it's funny that you'd have pics of those.. are they yellow finches? I call them wild canaries. I just took a couple of pics out my back door of a few of those fellows feeding off the same thistle :D

I hope you're feeling better immediately! *waves magic wand* There. Any minute now :)

Hang in there!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 17 2013, 2:44pm

Post #8 of 13 (42 views)
Shortcut
Ow and Ow! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's just not fair to get sick and hurt duing a vacation... especially to France! That's an expensive nap! But I'm glad you were able to enjoy the rest of the time. I can't help but think of the Hobbits when I'm in a cornfield. I tried running through one, and those mature leaves rip like razors! But I laughed like a fool the whole time ;)

I'm glad you're back safe and sound, and hopefully back in good health.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 17 2013, 2:46pm

Post #9 of 13 (46 views)
Shortcut
*giggle* Tauriel takes care of business :D [In reply to] Can't Post

That was fun!!! :D

AND that Color Run sounds like a fun time, too.... all the better with the youngsters.

ENJOY!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 17 2013, 2:52pm

Post #10 of 13 (140 views)
Shortcut
*wraps matches in plastic* Ready to go :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Mercy, it sounds like the next several weeks for you will DEFINITELY put you over the top! WOW!

Little D is already in school? That's great :D Especially making new friends along the way. My g'kiddies all go back nearer Labor Day.

Pace yourself, and enjoy your vacation and your runs!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Iolani
Rivendell

Aug 19 2013, 12:22am

Post #11 of 13 (39 views)
Shortcut
Update [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's my stats from last week, before I forget! My numbers aren't what I'd hoped they'd be, but I don't feel too bad because I've been using a lot more time with family, and it's been a good break for me. But with a time gap coming in between finding jobs, I'm sure I'm going to kick some mileage butt soon. Looking forward to it!

miles last week: 8.2
cumulative:1322.98
goal: There and Back Again Group Challenge!

Keep your spirits up guys! You're in my prayers! I'm sure we're going to lick the challenge.Cool

"It's like in the great stories Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And you didn't want to know the end...for how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But then you realize in the end it's just a passing thing, this shadow. A new day will come! And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stuck with you, that meant something. Even if you were too small to understand. But I think Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. The folk in those stories a lot of chances of turnin' back only they didn't. They kept going, because they were holdin' on to something."
"What are we holding onto, Sam?"
"That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it's worth fighting for!"

sherlock
Gondor

Aug 19 2013, 1:36pm

Post #12 of 13 (33 views)
Shortcut
I've been on staycation [In reply to] Can't Post

since August 9 & we've had great weather. Very cool and unusual for August in these parts. I've been walking almost every day about 5 am when it's still dark. I've seen, deer, bunnies, a fox , cats & bats. I hear owls and other night birds. It's been great but I'm back to work tomorrow.Frown

sherlock
Gondor

Aug 19 2013, 1:44pm

Post #13 of 13 (96 views)
Shortcut
Hope you're better [In reply to] Can't Post

Real soon, gramma! I know what you mean about pills and weight gain-I'm afraid to take any medications because I'm so prone to gaining weight. I've been very physically active all my life but have struggled with my weight since my late thirties. It's not fair!

Hang in there!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.