Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Which Tolkien book character would you have lunch with, and why?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

elaen32
Gondor

Aug 15 2013, 11:30pm

Post #51 of 66 (212 views)
Shortcut
Yes, there would probably be an unseemly fight [In reply to] Can't Post

among fangirls and fanboys. Or else RA and LT would end up attending so many lunches that they became very obese and unattractive anyway!Wink

I like yours and Mac's choices of lunch guests too. I said Thranduil to be different and it would be a different take on things!

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Aug 16 2013, 12:00am

Post #52 of 66 (201 views)
Shortcut
who is... [In reply to] Can't Post

.... "LT"?

re my luncheon choices.... maybe it would be more fair for me to elaborate...

faramir -- he's the guy who just said, "pfffff!" to the ring. not tempted at all ('tho i think this was an unintended problem created by the author). he's also so descent and honorable, very temperate, and is a wizard's pupil. he's quite well-rounded. a very interesting chap.

maedhros -- hardly needs detailing. he could speak about valinor, his parents, how the silmaril worked on him. what happened with dior's sons. what it was like raising elrond and elros. such a complex personality, and very far-sighted.

beleg -- he is just the greatest elf ever. him and finrod. a shining example of what is best in elvenkind. loyal, temperate, kind, intelligent, nurturing. and we could do the lunch outdoors, and get in some archery practice.

finrod -- he fell in love with me at first sight. well, with my race. seriously, he's someone who is wise and loving, and egalitarian. seeing the potential in us, even in our inital, rustic state. and he wanted to help us, and wanted to nurture us. throw in brave, loyal, temperate -- and a +great+ singer. i'd love to hear him sing.

elros -- where to begin? what made him choose to share our lot? did he every have any regrets? what about leaving his brother, elrond? he was starting a new kingdom, in a valar-given continent. what were his goals for his reign? what did he hope would come after him? what are his thoughts of mortality and life? we definitely don't hear enough from his perspective. it would be fascinating to hear it.

nerdanel -- mega-talented. the one who taught the great feanor secrets of the smith's art. an artist with no rivals in her own right. what were her dreams for her family? what did she want to achieve for herself?

gandalf -- clever, articulate, wise, warm, and somewhat mercurial. loves a good audience, and i'd surely be that. wonderful person, and most interesting. if he's looking for another wizard's pupil, i'll apply.

those rascally hobbits -- self-explanatory. cheery, sociable, lovers of food and humor. love to hear their perspectives.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 16 2013, 12:50am

Post #53 of 66 (180 views)
Shortcut
True: and I love your optimism Telpemairo!!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
norottermė.

brethil, you could always lunch with thorin, and keep your eyes closed.

but... to be +fair+.... it's rather subjective. who says some of these book characters don't +just happen+ to look like their actor counterparts?

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 16 2013, 12:52am

Post #54 of 66 (196 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I can envision 'unseemly' [In reply to] Can't Post

And did you notice my restraint in NOT mentioning chocolate? Wink

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 16 2013, 12:57am

Post #55 of 66 (187 views)
Shortcut
LT - in truth, thought immediately of Lawrence Taylor... [In reply to] Can't Post

..but I think Elaen means Liv Tyler.

(I'm sure Liv eats a lot less than Lawrence, BTW.) Love your elaborations.

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Aug 16 2013, 1:10am

Post #56 of 66 (187 views)
Shortcut
boy, i'm slow tonight... [In reply to] Can't Post

... i don't even know who lawrence taylor is.

(though, to be fair, i was racking my brain trying to figure out what lotr / hobbit male actor had the initials, "lt." the closest i got was "legolas thranduilion," but that's a character name, not an actor name.)

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 16 2013, 1:15am

Post #57 of 66 (178 views)
Shortcut
You are never slow - the NFL is just a wee *bit* off the Tolkien track...!!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Eolin of Rohan
The Shire

Aug 19 2013, 10:52pm

Post #58 of 66 (256 views)
Shortcut
:) [In reply to] Can't Post

I think first I would invite Legolas, he's always been my favorite character, and I'd like to know more about his family and life before he travels to Rivendell and joins the fellowship. Then if he couldn't come I think it would be great to have lunch with Faramir and Eowyn, (not sure which order I would invite them in if it's lunch with only one character).
...And of course the hobbits (meaning Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippin, and Bilbo) would be great dinner guests!
...Theoden would be great too...

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 21 2013, 2:05am

Post #59 of 66 (127 views)
Shortcut
All great choices! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I think first I would invite Legolas, he's always been my favorite character, and I'd like to know more about his family and life before he travels to Rivendell and joins the fellowship. Then if he couldn't come I think it would be great to have lunch with Faramir and Eowyn, (not sure which order I would invite them in if it's lunch with only one character).
...And of course the hobbits (meaning Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippin, and Bilbo) would be great dinner guests!
...Theoden would be great too...

and welcome to the RR and TORn Eolin!

Eolin of Rohan
The Shire

Aug 21 2013, 2:38am

Post #60 of 66 (121 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you Brethil! I'm glad to be here :)

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Aug 23 2013, 5:12pm

Post #61 of 66 (153 views)
Shortcut
Belladonna Took Baggins [In reply to] Can't Post

I would love to have lunch with her! Perhaps she would share stories of some of her adventures (before she married and settled down). I bet she would also be up on all the local gossip!

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 24 2013, 3:48am

Post #62 of 66 (101 views)
Shortcut
And she would set out some very tasty things to eat too, I'd wager! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Aug 24 2013, 3:58am

Post #63 of 66 (87 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps she taught Bilbo to cook? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 24 2013, 4:02am

Post #64 of 66 (96 views)
Shortcut
I'll bet she did - I'm sure that's a legacy to Hobbits! [In reply to] Can't Post

Cookbooks must be worth their weight in ... bullion. WinkLaugh

Sharkey
The Shire

Sep 6 2013, 7:35am

Post #65 of 66 (82 views)
Shortcut
So many good ones [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo, post-adventure Sit for some tea and then pull out the pipes for smoke rings. Ask him about Smaug and get him talking about the company.
Although he might be fiddling with the ring as we chat...that'd be weird.

Boromir and/or Gimli if drinking was involved. Seems obvious.

Sam, but only if he brings the ol' Gaffer.

Faramir for deep conversation.

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

Sep 6 2013, 7:45am

Post #66 of 66 (93 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to the reading room, Sharkey! Good suggestions! [In reply to] Can't Post

I do wonder: there's a lot to be said for meeting someone a while after their adventure or achievement - give them time to gain perspective.

…and in Bilbo's case not to be self-deluding about how he got The Ring!

Disclaimers: The words of noWizardme may stand on their heads! I'm often wrong about things, and its fun to be taught more....

"nowimė I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.