Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Volunteers for Akallabeth and Rings of Power/3rd Age?

CuriousG
Valinor

Aug 13 2013, 12:18am

Post #1 of 10 (149 views)
Shortcut
Volunteers for Akallabeth and Rings of Power/3rd Age? Can't Post

Hi folks. We're almost to the end of The Silmarillion (sad for me since I've enjoyed the discussions so much; it's been far richer than I could have imagined, and I can imagine a lot). Do we have volunteers for the 2 remaining parts, Akallabeth and the Rings of Pow/3rd Age? I think Akallabeth would be spread over two weeks (though would only need one post per week). The Rings part would be left to the chapter leader's decision if they wanted to use one week or two. It could be just one since it overlaps plenty with what Tolkien fans know already, but it could be two for anyone wanting to make a fun, deep dive.

Please either PM me or reply to this thread if you're interested. Open to anyone who'd like to do it--no previous experience in leading chapter discussions needed, and PhD's in Tolkien Studies definitely not required, just an interest in Tolkien.

(PS> Though I haven't updated the schedule sticky, Ardamire has kindly volunteered to take the Earendil chapter. *Spoiler* Morgoth, your days are numbered.)

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Aug 13 2013, 6:03am

Post #2 of 10 (77 views)
Shortcut
What time are we talking here? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd love to try it out, life allowing, but I'm (hopefully) headed to university soon. I'd need a time frame and sufficient notice.

CuriousG
Valinor

Aug 13 2013, 6:25am

Post #3 of 10 (79 views)
Shortcut
"Soon," he said, which was really no answer. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's my fault for falling behind in everything; I think I was kidnapped by aliens in July and lost half the month. I should have asked for volunteers weeks ago.

Originally Akallabeth was scheduled to start next Sun (18 Aug). Would that be possible? If not, how about the following week (25 Aug)? We'll need to nail it down before we can figure out Rings of Power & 3rd Age. Though I am a bit cavalier about it since we switch to Numenor and Men from Beleriand and Elves, and taking a short break from the Quenta Sil doesn't mean a loss of continuity.

Chapter discussions take any format that works for you in expressing your thoughts and generating questions to begin conversations.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Aug 13 2013, 3:46pm

Post #4 of 10 (58 views)
Shortcut
I will check my schedule [In reply to] Can't Post

I could do the 18th. I'd type it up this week, but I'd paste the post into a new topic, at 10:40ish PM, in the GMT-5 timezone, on Saturday, right after work.

I have to check on the 25th's availability, because I would like to do both parts.

When would I have to put it up? I'd hate to start late for most everyone else.

Expect to hear back from me, later today.

Meanwhile, don't refuse anyone on my account. They can do it if they like.

CuriousG
Valinor

Aug 13 2013, 4:40pm

Post #5 of 10 (67 views)
Shortcut
Also, Letter #131 is on the horizon [In reply to] Can't Post

I forgot to mention that Brethil will lead a discussion of Tolkien's Letter #131, which is more of an essay describing the scope of his works than a letter. Definitely more than "hru? im fine." That will come when we wrap up The Sil. The letter appears in some later editions of the Silmarillion, and you can also google for copies of it or buy the whole book of letters rather cheaply on Amazon.

CuriousG
Valinor

Aug 13 2013, 4:45pm

Post #6 of 10 (52 views)
Shortcut
That would be super [In reply to] Can't Post

if you could do the 18th! We can be flexible in what works for you on part 2, it wouldn't have to be an exact 7 days. Would somewhere between Aug 23-7 fit your schedule?

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Aug 13 2013, 4:45pm

Post #7 of 10 (57 views)
Shortcut
i'm still doing [In reply to] Can't Post

... the fall of numenor, right?

i was trying to double-check the main post / thread, but didn't see anything...

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Aug 13 2013, 5:01pm

Post #8 of 10 (55 views)
Shortcut
I you are... [In reply to] Can't Post

Have at it. I'm not going to poach it from you!

I'll get on the rota later. :)

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 13 2013, 8:03pm

Post #9 of 10 (41 views)
Shortcut
Hullo all! [In reply to] Can't Post

And I am quite flexible towards a slightly later date on #131, (we were targeting September 8th) if we want a week or two between Akallabeth and Third Age, etc. or want to expand them in time. There is an awful lot to talk about in those two chapters, and I think #131 may need four weeks to cover the way I am contemplating breaking it down.

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Aug 13 2013, 8:15pm

Post #10 of 10 (54 views)
Shortcut
Just FYI [In reply to] Can't Post

If I AM going to do it, not poaching from anybody else, I will need to know sometime tomorrow, Wednesday.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.