Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Hey Magpie... I ran with your idea!

Nomad
Forum Admin

Aug 8 2013, 2:02pm

Post #1 of 15 (419 views)
Shortcut
Hey Magpie... I ran with your idea! Can't Post

A while back I posted about my silly daughter not wanting to read LOTR and you suggested reading books aloud to one another. WELL... my wife actually loved the idea and sold it to BOTH of my kids. I would have never thought they would agree to it (my thinking was that a 12 and almost-15 year old might think it outrageously UNcool to let their dad read them a book).

Any way last night we all sat down and read A Long Expected Party and they both seemed to really enjoy it as did my wife. Of course being the multimedia kind of guy I am, I printed out a very large map of Middle Earth and the Shire for them to use while I read AND I spent a while yesterday rounding up a dozen or so paintings and drawings matching up to Chapter 1 and played them as a slide show on the big screen TV (well I was using the PS3 controller to progress to the next picture when necessary to make it sort of like a big illustrated book).

It seems to have been a hit and something they both now want to do at least a couple or three times a week. Of course now that I've set the precedent I will have to go find a few hundred more pics and organize them by chapter and book for future reading sessions.

Anyway thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Smile

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Aug 8 2013, 2:43pm

Post #2 of 15 (227 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations, Dad! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the Reading room did a discussion on the artwork of LOTR some time ago. Maybe someone who participated in that can give you the pertinent links.

Enjoy the rest of the book together!

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 8 2013, 8:57pm

Post #3 of 15 (198 views)
Shortcut
marvelous [In reply to] Can't Post

Sometimes, I think teens and almost teens are subconsciously (or perhaps consciously) yearning for ways to spend time with their parents that seems not-uncool. It seems like your kids have not declared this to be not uncool.

Sometimes we'd go for walks in nature areas and my mid-teen son would walk very close to me. I kind of like my space but then I kind of figured this was his way of connecting to me and just let it be. It helped me be aware of the things they will *allow* as forms of connections and not just be aware of the things they used to *allow* but won't anymore.

I wonder what your kids will think if you finish the Hobbit and let them pick a book. They might get a real thrill out of being the 'leader' so to speak. :-)

And, having done this (like I said) with my new boyfriend now husband... I can say it's a special kind of tender togetherness.

You are familiar with (remember) Rolozo, correct? They have a lot of illustrations sorted by chapter.
http://fan.theonering.net/...ollection?hide=-2049

Ted Nasmith also sorts his illustration by book (FOTR, TTT, ROTK)
http://tednasmith.mymiddleearth.com/

And John Howe by journey segments:
http://www.john-howe.com/portfolio/gallery/

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 8 2013, 9:04pm

Post #4 of 15 (196 views)
Shortcut
I think those discussions had "Tolkien Art" in the subject line [In reply to] Can't Post

You can find a lot of them in 2007 in this search:

http://newboards.theonering.net/..._time;so=DESC;mh=25;

If anyone actively seeks out these discussions, it would be great if they'd post links to the initial posts for all threads they find. I can put them on the Mathom-house wiki for future reference.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Aug 8 2013, 10:51pm

Post #5 of 15 (190 views)
Shortcut
In related news, [In reply to] Can't Post

just last week a report came out that more than a third of Kiwi teens want to spend more time with their parents: http://tvnz.co.nz/...rents-report-5524828

I'm so glad your two are enjoying the family reading time. :)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

sherlock
Gondor

Aug 9 2013, 10:49am

Post #6 of 15 (161 views)
Shortcut
I read [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings to my husband shortly after we met and then again before the movies came out. I like to start reading in September and do it a few times a week by the fire in the wood stove. I really want to read them to my granddaughter who is nine but I've offered and she's not interested. Maybe in a few years she will be. She's seen all the movies and loves The Hobbit movie.

Loresilme
Valinor

Aug 9 2013, 2:25pm

Post #7 of 15 (154 views)
Shortcut
Wonderful! [In reply to] Can't Post

I liked reading about your situation. I'm glad you hit on a togetherness routine that works for your family!

If you're still looking for pictures to accompany key moments in the story - I'm not sure what your feelings are towards the films, but the screencap library we use on the Movie board for the SCOD discussions has many, many great shots, some of which are as beautiful as paintings.

Have fun :-)!

Elwen
Lorien

Aug 9 2013, 3:18pm

Post #8 of 15 (156 views)
Shortcut
Awesome! And I love the slideshow idea. [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe I'll try this with my 9 year old.

When I was in HS, and my brother was about 10, I read LOTR to him...all of it, a chapter at a time. He still talks about it. I think that was my best big sister moment.

photo Desolation-of-Smaug2_zpsc1584ee1.jpg
Tauriel: So let me get this straight sir, this Elwen girl is back on something called TORn, and rather than just tell her to stop stalking you, you'd like me to show up in a movie I have no business being in in a ploy to distract her, and nevermind the wrath of countless Tolkien fans who will be calling for my destruction?

Legolas: That about sums it up. Besides, some people might like you. Oh, and to be on the safe side, can we pretend to be a couple too?

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 10 2013, 12:12pm

Post #9 of 15 (140 views)
Shortcut
I love it :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Magpie ALWAYS has such inspiring ideas... but you've taken it to a whole new level! KUDOS to your whole family... but you going the geek-fest extra mile is SUPER!

Excellent stuff, you guys! WOW!

4th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - May 1, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Annael
Half-elven

Aug 10 2013, 3:31pm

Post #10 of 15 (149 views)
Shortcut
what a great thing! [In reply to] Can't Post

Reading aloud to each other is a wonderful thing for a family to do. Your kids will treasure this memory.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

dormouse
Half-elven

Aug 13 2013, 8:10am

Post #11 of 15 (86 views)
Shortcut
What a lovely idea... [In reply to] Can't Post

My brother used to read LotR to his son. He's pretty good on voices, but he didn't produce a whole multimedia presentation!

Good luck to you and your family. I hope it's something you go on enjoying a long time (and it will be a very special thing for your kids to look back on later.)

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Aug 13 2013, 3:27pm

Post #12 of 15 (86 views)
Shortcut
Som of my absolute favorite memories [In reply to] Can't Post

are of my dad reading out loud to the whole family. And actually, the older I got, the more I liked it!
There's just something very special about it. Maybe it hearkens back to neolithic storytelling around the campfire (like in "The Gods Must Be crazy"Sly), but it really is a wonderful thing.

Keep us posted!Smile

RangerLady23
Lorien

Aug 14 2013, 5:11pm

Post #13 of 15 (91 views)
Shortcut
That is such a cool idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

Congratulations on getting your young one interested in reading and your teen interested in YOU! Good job!

Nomad
Forum Admin

Aug 14 2013, 5:33pm

Post #14 of 15 (83 views)
Shortcut
Thanks everyone!! Tonight we will be reading... [In reply to] Can't Post

The Shadow of the Past (Chap 2). We had a pretty busy week so we're just now getting around to another reading session but everyone seems excited about it (me not the least). I've got most of my FOTR pics laid out. I might try to find a place to post them all with the order I've decided on and then give the link to the board. Since a lot of the images are copyrighted I won't likely keep them up as a permanent thing though.

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 14 2013, 9:19pm

Post #15 of 15 (155 views)
Shortcut
I use Picasa online albums [In reply to] Can't Post

and I can set each album to be private or public or viewable only with a link. For a few images (with copyright issues similar to your quandry), I will set it to viewable only with a link and then share the link.

If you share it in a thread here, it will be *somewhat* public, but the images won't show up in random search of images on the web.

Other online sites might have similar settings.

just a thought.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.