Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
How have I never heard of/been to this place before?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

silneldor
Half-elven

Aug 7 2013, 11:03pm

Post #26 of 44 (162 views)
Shortcut
Hi Magpie [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for linking me to that but i think it went inactive. The little guy is there and the bar and the directional circle, and it all is in a 1x4 inch strip. Nothing happens with it:).

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
J.R.R. Tolkien

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Aug 8 2013, 1:34am

Post #27 of 44 (149 views)
Shortcut
That's cool [In reply to] Can't Post

I want to go there.

elentari3018
Lorien

Aug 8 2013, 2:41am

Post #28 of 44 (141 views)
Shortcut
i love that there are Middle-earth related areas in the world! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Pennsylvania, there is somewhere called "Brandywine" too. And there is a Mellon bank. ;)

"By Elbereth and Luthien the fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me!" ~Frodo

"And then Gandalf arose and bid all men rise, and they rose, and he said: 'Here is a last hail ere the feast endeth. Last but not least. For I name now those who shall not be forgotten and without whose valour nought else that was done would have availed; and I name before you all Frodo of the Shire and Samwise his servant. And the bards and the minstrels should give them new names: Bronwe athan Harthad and Harthad Uluithiad , Endurance beyond Hope and Hope Unquenchable.." ~Gandalf, The End of the Third Age , from The History of Middle Earth series

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Aug 8 2013, 2:47am

Post #29 of 44 (138 views)
Shortcut
Yep [In reply to] Can't Post

There are a few. Too few.

I am reduced to finding anagrams and stating,"Well, if you take this here, then that there, Hey Presto! It (barely) looks like something from The Lord of The Rings!"

To which the usual response is a bunch of eye-rolls.

Sometimes it's lonely being one of the few, enlightened to the Awesomeness of Tolkien. Why can't they see it!!

I think I'll go back to my geek corner now!

LOL JK..

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 8 2013, 3:29am

Post #30 of 44 (141 views)
Shortcut
You tried dragging him onto the map? [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean, you click and hold on the guy, and you drag it (while holding down your click) onto the map?

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

silneldor
Half-elven

Aug 8 2013, 12:34pm

Post #31 of 44 (133 views)
Shortcut
There was no map per se. Just a little strip like an edge of a map and when i try to drag [In reply to] Can't Post

the guy (ooops) he turns into a kind of faded nazgul form.
I bet that helps huh?Unimpressed

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
J.R.R. Tolkien

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 8 2013, 1:50pm

Post #32 of 44 (136 views)
Shortcut
Okay, this is what I see [In reply to] Can't Post

http://awesomescreenshot.com/0141l57za0

This is what I see when I drag the yellow fellow onto the map
http://awesomescreenshot.com/0fa1l58n5f

(These images will only be stored online for three days. I'm liking this Chrome Extension called, Awesome Screenshot: Capture & Annotate. It lets me easily take screenshots and even lets me store them online for sharing.)

It's hard to diagnose what's going on without seeing what you see. But the first thing I'd ask is: Is your browser up to date?

At work, we had videos embedded on our website and a couple of people couldn't see them at all. It turned out their browser was out of date and couldn't read it properly. If you want help troubleshooting browsers, that might be a feedback question since it will depend on your browser. And it should be up to date because it can be a security issue if it isn't.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Arandir
Gondor

Aug 8 2013, 3:38pm

Post #33 of 44 (119 views)
Shortcut
I think it was! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a great way to find a such a wonderful place!Wink

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 8 2013, 4:27pm

Post #34 of 44 (112 views)
Shortcut
Uncannily fitting that he fades like a Nazgul Sil !!!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Aug 8 2013, 10:59pm

Post #35 of 44 (123 views)
Shortcut
There are lots of places and things with Brandywine in the name here in Pennsylvania... [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks to the Brandywine River/ Brandywine Creek flowing through it into Delaware. It doesn't hurt that it's in the commercial mushroom-growing area, either. ;)

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Aug 12 2013, 1:39am

Post #36 of 44 (137 views)
Shortcut
Haw! Perfect. [In reply to] Can't Post

And, of course, the password response would have to contain the correct number of "las" and "lallys." Cool

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 13 2013, 8:56pm

Post #37 of 44 (79 views)
Shortcut
Oh, true! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And, of course, the password response would have to contain the correct number of "las" and "lallys." Cool

And we could all carry bows too... would be an impressive sight I think.

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Aug 13 2013, 10:11pm

Post #38 of 44 (83 views)
Shortcut
I want a crossbow--even if it is a Tolkienachronism. ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Aug 14 2013, 2:16am

Post #39 of 44 (67 views)
Shortcut
Tolkienachronism. [In reply to] Can't Post

I like it!

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Aug 14 2013, 2:28am

Post #40 of 44 (70 views)
Shortcut
:D I was inspired by entirely by your earlier contribution. [In reply to] Can't Post

I foresee an entire section of the dictionary being taken up with the new Tolexicon. Smile

So, we have so far:

Tolkienlightenment

Tolkienachronism

We need a new contest for some more contributions! Laugh

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Aug 14 2013, 2:47am

Post #41 of 44 (63 views)
Shortcut
I had another posted, elsewhere. [In reply to] Can't Post

Whatcha-ma-Hobbit(-noun-)- something that vaguely reminds you of something Tolkien related, for an unknown reason.

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Aug 14 2013, 3:21am

Post #42 of 44 (69 views)
Shortcut
Oh, that's great! Missed that one. And I've posted in your honor [In reply to] Can't Post

about something else just now on Main. Hope some others sign on and give it a try!Cool

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 16 2013, 12:29am

Post #43 of 44 (49 views)
Shortcut
Actually don't crossbows seem like a very Dwarven thing to invent? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Erewen
The Shire

Aug 17 2013, 4:04pm

Post #44 of 44 (69 views)
Shortcut
I live on a road called Greenway [In reply to] Can't Post

You cannot imagine how happy I was when looking at my map of Middle Earth I realized that there was a road called that heading North/South near Hobbiton
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Middle-earth_roads#North-South_Road

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.