Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
I'm a bit lost here

squire
Valinor

Aug 5 2013, 10:45pm

Views: 543
Shortcut
I'm a bit lost here [In reply to] Can't Post

I had missed the original post by Mr. Tither, so I had to go find it before I could make sense of your reaction to it. I have to say, I didn't find the post particularly impressive, and not just because of the poor grammar that you noted; much of the writer's knowledge of Tolkien's career and literary production is kind of shaky too. I doubt very much, for instance, that Tolkien's creation of Frodo and his cousins, traveling with Sam as a quasi-servant, has any connection to the tutoring system at Oxford. If it did, of course, the writer would still be in error in identifying himself as a "Sam" undergraduate learning at the feet of a "Bilbo" tutor; by his own construction, he should identify himself as a "Frodo", leaving some unknown "Sam" valet to keep his dorm room neat - or something.

Well, aside from that kind of criticism, I can't say I disagree with you that the commercialization of Tolkien's literary output must be what it will be, within the terms of the Tolkien Estate's original sale of the rights to The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. Tolkien's use of medieval literature and conventions has nothing to do with the fidelity of a modern adaptation of his heroic fantasies to film (or other media). I can't fault the filmmakers for the pains they have taken, or not taken respectively, in adapting Tolkien to the screen, as far as mock-cultural details like visual design and language are concerned.

However, I think I do agree more with Mr. Tither on the question of Disney-style theme parks. I just don't think it's possible to make a theme park type environment that doesn't inherently do violence to Tolkien's concept of how fantasy works. He emphasized the importance to him of writing in a way that let the imagination of the reader create visual imagery from the author's descriptions. The films play hardball with this problem, and have a lot to answer for in terms of imprinting one team's vision onto a lot of susceptible fans' visual imaginations. But at least there are no tourists wandering about the background of the films, gawking, holding up their cameras and chomping on fast food - which is inevitably what one would be forced to deal with as one tried to experience a theme park's "environments" and "attractions".

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd (and NOW the 4th too!) TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Subject User Time
Brian Tither and Tolkien's Legacy Timdalf Send a private message to Timdalf Aug 5 2013, 11:07am
    I'm a big fan of paragraphs. // NottaSackville Send a private message to NottaSackville Aug 5 2013, 12:39pm
        I can't see the trees though the woods.\\ silneldor Send a private message to silneldor Aug 5 2013, 1:50pm
        Me too,... Timdalf Send a private message to Timdalf Aug 5 2013, 4:50pm
            for what it's worth... Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Aug 5 2013, 5:07pm
                Thanks, Mp... Timdalf Send a private message to Timdalf Aug 5 2013, 6:04pm
                    lol Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Aug 5 2013, 6:25pm
                    Another option is Notepad CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Aug 5 2013, 7:01pm
            Good to know :) // NottaSackville Send a private message to NottaSackville Aug 5 2013, 5:51pm
    hi : ) Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Aug 5 2013, 2:16pm
    Can't find an edit button now, so... Timdalf Send a private message to Timdalf Aug 5 2013, 4:53pm
        Ahh, this version is much easier to read, thanks. // NottaSackville Send a private message to NottaSackville Aug 5 2013, 5:16pm
        Thank you for the repost// sevilodorf Send a private message to sevilodorf Aug 5 2013, 5:59pm
            This kind of Middle-earth Faire already is popular Timdalf Send a private message to Timdalf Aug 5 2013, 6:16pm
        I'm a bit lost here squire Send a private message to squire Aug 5 2013, 10:45pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.