Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
SCOD: "I just want to look at it."

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Aug 5 2013, 10:14am

Post #1 of 5 (440 views)
Shortcut
SCOD: "I just want to look at it." Can't Post

http://www.framecaplib.com/...es/rotk/rotk0255.htm

http://www.framecaplib.com/...es/rotk/rotk0259.htm

http://www.framecaplib.com/...es/rotk/rotk0262.htm

http://www.framecaplib.com/...es/rotk/rotk0263.htm

So, Pippin's curiosity has got the better of him. Again...
Feel free to answer any, all or none of the following questions.

1) The first shot I just had to add in. What, if anything, does it tell us about Gandalf? Perhaps the fact that he is always wary/watchful?

2) Look at the second and third screencaps. Note Pippin's change of expression? What do you see on his face here? Realisation, surprise, guilt etc?

3) Look at the fourth screencap. What effect does the presence of Sauron (if only partially), have upon each character? Do you like the filmmakers idea to represent the Eye as something made entirely of flame?

4) How well do you feel that this scene represented the scene in the book? Do you like/dislike this scene, and in either or both cases, why?

5) Any other thoughts/comments?

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."-Gandalf

Silwen_Peredhil
Rivendell

Aug 5 2013, 12:58pm

Post #2 of 5 (250 views)
Shortcut
Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards [In reply to] Can't Post

1) The first shot I just had to add in. What, if anything, does it tell us about Gandalf? Perhaps the fact that he is always wary/watchful?
I think it adds visually to the fact that Gandalf is neither a man, an elf, or a hobbit. The first time I ever saw this I found it rather creepy and the same question that obviously was racing through Pippin's mind was racing through mine - Is he asleep? The strings played in the background only adds to the dark mood since Pippin is about to do something both mischievous and dangerous.

Pippin walked softly to where Gandalf lay. He looked down at him. The wizard seemed asleep, but with lids not fully closed: there was a glitter of eyes under his long lashes. Pippin stepped back hastily. But Gandalf made no sign.
The Two Towers | The Palantir

I think this scene in the film conveyed this very well.

2) Look at the second and third screencaps. Note Pippin's change of expression? What do you see on his face here? Realisation, surprise, guilt etc?
I think in the first picture he looks somewhat smug since his "little quest" to get the palantir has up until that point been rather successful. There is also a look of relief in him and the tension in him to hold the palantir again seems to drop considerably.
In the second picture we are focused again entirely on Pippin's expression which has dramatically changed. He is tensed up and there is a look of horror and puzzlement in his face. It is a sign to the audience that he has done something wrong, although I don't think at this point he has realised he has done wrong. I think it's the shock from the vision he is seeing. I personally loved the fact that we cannot see what he is seeing and are left in suspense.

3) Look at the fourth screencap. What effect does the presence of Sauron (if only partially), have upon each character? Do you like the filmmakers idea to represent the Eye as something made entirely of flame?
In this scene I think his presence certainly creates chaos. Each character that senses his presence also feels fear. I think it is significant that it is Aragorn who is both brave and quick enough to step forward and take the palantir from Pippin.
I like the filmmakers interpretation of the eye since when I first read the books before the films came out, I found it hard to imagine this. When I saw the films I thought it worked well. It was an eye that could easily watch over everything that was going on. An eye made from flame symbolises fire's ability to destroy.

4) How well do you feel that this scene represented the scene in the book? Do you like/dislike this scene, and in either or both cases, why?
I'd give it five stars. It is close enough to what happened in the book. I like the way it happened at Edoras as it helped create more character development.

1. Obviously Pippin has learned the hard way what happens when you meddle in the affairs of wizards.
2."Fool of a Took!"
3. Do you suppose the pun was intended when Sauron said, "I see you" (since myself and my sister wonder about this when we watch it. The first time you see it, it is quite eerie, but upon further viewings it does make you wonder)?

What's this? A Ranger caught off his guard?

willowing
Lorien

Aug 9 2013, 11:07am

Post #3 of 5 (119 views)
Shortcut
Who is watching who? [In reply to] Can't Post

Always wary and watchful. he is also prone to becoming weary and for the first time in days/weeks since the fellowship left Rivendell he has succumbed to much needed rest in a comfortable and welcoming place. He has a sword in his hand probably out of habit due to his wanderings through Middle Earth and not mistrust of the company that he is with.

Second screencap- A sense of relief that he managed to outwit Gandalf and take the palantir out of his hand and into his possession. Pippin's curiosity has got the better of him, he's excited, he's enthusiastic and he is in awe at the prospect of looking at this shiny black orb.

Third screencap-Bewilderment and lost for words. The palantir is aware and conscious of someone looking into it and sears Pippin's conscious with an array of confused visual displays of fire and words.

willowing
Lorien

Aug 11 2013, 2:49am

Post #4 of 5 (105 views)
Shortcut
continuation of "Who is watching who" [In reply to] Can't Post

3) Look at the fourth screencap. What effect does the presence of Sauron (if only partially), have upon each character?

Merry who does his utmost to discourage his friend from taking the palantir from Gandalf is so overwhelmed by what is taking place that he seems to be paralysed and unable to move to help Pippin. Is it due to Pippin's actions or the influence of the palantir?

Whatever it was, if it had not been for the keen senses of Legolas picking up the call for help from Merry and the swift action of Aragorn, the fellowship would have been minus a hobbit and in the process of intervention, Aragorn and Legolas both experienced the same force that put Pippin temporarily out of action.

So the mood of the moment would have to be gravely sombre and unsettling and worrying for everyone.

Do you like the filmmakers idea to represent the Eye as something made entirely of flame?

Sauron's fortress is in close proximity to Mt Doom, his one and only(the ring) was forged in the fires of Mount Doom and yes it was a good idea to have the Eye made entirely of flames. Fire consumes, good descriptive way of the enemy who is seeking to consume everything in its path

Coverage of the book scene as represented in the movie was very well done. The book covering details about the palantir is very well written and the details so vivid that it draws the reader in that you almost become part of the chapter.

The movie interpretation of the scene sought to expand on the book and bought to the screen an artistic display of imagination stretched to/beyond the boundaries with and without the contents of the book.

Darkstone
Immortal

Aug 13 2013, 7:51pm

Post #5 of 5 (122 views)
Shortcut
"Ay, there's the wonder of the thing! Mithrandir's not there!!" [In reply to] Can't Post

“Mithrandir’s an Istari, he's very tall and thin;
You would know him if you saw him, for his eyes are sunken in.
His brow is deeply lined with thought, his head is highly domed;
His robe is dusty from neglect, his whiskers are uncombed.
He sways his head from side to side, with movements like a snake;
And when you think he's half asleep, he's always wide awake.”
(With apologies to T.S. Eliot.)

I have absolutely no idea. Frankly it’s all so confusing. In the book, when they camped by the well in Moria Gandalf seemed asleep but actually he was awake. Later in Minas Tirith when Faramir reported to Denethor about Ithilien, Gandalf also seemed asleep but was actually awake. So what exactly does it mean to say Gandalf looked asleep? Does it mean that he seemed asleep asleep, like a regular person seems asleep with their eyes closed and all? Or does it mean that he seemed awake asleep, like here in Rohan, where he has his eyes open and looks awake but he’s actually asleep? So when Gandalf is awake he looks asleep because when he’s asleep he looks awake. But since when he’s awake he also looks awake, doesn’t he always look awake even when he’s asleep? So what the heck does Tolkien mean whenever he says Gandalf seemed to be asleep? On the other hand if.... (I better stop now. My head is beginning to hurt.)

In the first it’s like the book, “looking like a greedy child stooping over a bowl of food”, but then he sees that there’s something wrong with the food.

3) Look at the fourth screencap. What effect does the presence of Sauron (if only partially), have upon each character?

I’m seeing more concern for Pippin from everybody. The bond of Fellowship is more powerful than the influence of Sauron.

Do you like the filmmakers idea to represent the Eye as something made entirely of flame?

Well, either that or a black man, but some people on the board don’t seem to be comfortable with the latter.

4) How well do you feel that this scene represented the scene in the book?

Pretty well, though I also like how it was represented in Star Wars, with Luke as Pippin, Ben Kenobi as Gandalf, and a rampaging sandperson as the palantir. (Whatever DID happen with that guy?)

Do you like/dislike this scene, and in either or both cases, why?

Like. It’s nice to see Gandalf’s tough love, all lividly angry and deeply concerned at the same time.

Once Gandalf dreamt he was a moth, a moth flitting and fluttering around, happy with himself and doing as he pleased. He didn't know he was Gandalf. Suddenly he woke up and there he was, solid and unmistakably Gandalf. But he didn't know if he was Gandalf who had dreamt he was a moth, or a moth dreaming he was Gandalf. Between Gandalf and a moth there must be some distinction! But really, there isn't, because he's actually Olórin dreaming he's both Gandalf *and* a moth!
-From Gandalfi: The Moth Dream

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Aug 13 2013, 7:56pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.