Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Extended Edition Footage in TV Special?

vexx801
Rivendell

Aug 4 2013, 9:01pm

Post #1 of 10 (1891 views)
Shortcut
Extended Edition Footage in TV Special? Can't Post

Hey folks! I was just re-watching the 13-minute Hobbit special that was released on TV prior to Film One's release. At 12:19-12:20, there is a shot of an archer with what appears to be dark arrows (black, perhaps?) aimed up toward where Smaug likely is. The setting is Dale. So, judging from the interview a couple weeks back where PJ revealed that some of the Extended Edition involves a sequence in the Prologue where we see Girion Lord of Dale try to take down Smaug - could this be Girion? Or at least footage of archers trying to take him down - unless that is indeed present in the film and I simply missed it.

I don't have a screencap but you can find the video here, 12:19-12:20:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pisaxtEARAE

Thoughts?

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Aug 4 2013, 10:00pm

Post #2 of 10 (717 views)
Shortcut
Great catch! [In reply to] Can't Post

It certainly looks like it could be Girion, the focus is clearly on an important lone archer... and I at least don't remember that from the TE! Smile

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

DuBekar
Rivendell

Aug 4 2013, 10:42pm

Post #3 of 10 (695 views)
Shortcut
naah [In reply to] Can't Post

I think i found that scene in the Prologue in The hobbit...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgW7PRN-ADI

At 1:38-1:39 you can see a person shooting arrow against Smaug :)

" Why, O people of Noldor! Fëanor cried. Why should we longer serve the jealous Valar, who cannot keep us nor even their own realm secure from their enemy? And though he be now their foe, are not they and he of one kin? Vengence calls me hence, but even were it otherwise I would not dwell longer in the same land with the kin of my father's slayer and of the thief of treasure. Yet i am not the only valiant in this valiant people. And have ye not all lost your King? And what else have ye not lost, cooped here in a narrow land between the mountains and the sea? Here once was light, that the Valar begrudged to middle-earth, but now dark levels all. Shall we mourn here deedless forever, a shadow-folk, mist-haunting, dropping vain tears in the thankless sea? Or shall we return to our home? In cuiviènen sweet ran the waters under uncloaded stars, and wide lands lay about, where a free people might walk. There they lie still and await us who in out folly forsook them. Come away! Let the cowards keep this city!"

Carne
Tol Eressea

Aug 4 2013, 10:49pm

Post #4 of 10 (622 views)
Shortcut
I think it's in the TE, but from a different angle.// [In reply to] Can't Post

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 5 2013, 10:17am

Post #5 of 10 (420 views)
Shortcut
Do you think Galion will have his jewel necklace? [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember in the book Galion wears a jewel or diamond or gem necklace of some kind that is later found in Smaug's hoard. I have a feeling the necklace will feature in the film, but instead of being found in Eredor, I think they will find it in the ruins of Dale

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Aug 5 2013, 10:28am

Post #6 of 10 (419 views)
Shortcut
Not the necklace-wearing butler again... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's Girion, not the butler Galion! Wink

And his gems were a necklace of 500 emeralds, though Jackson may have changed it to suit the "white gems" association.

Interestingly, the "Gem of Girion" was the first incarnation of what later became the Arkenstone...

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Necklace_of_Girion

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

(This post was edited by Eleniel on Aug 5 2013, 10:32am)

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 5 2013, 10:49am

Post #7 of 10 (395 views)
Shortcut
Whoopsie, ahaha. Yeah, I meant Girion [In reply to] Can't Post

Blush
Now that's interesting. The elves and dwarves apparently fell out over some white gems, so there could be some connection with Girion's necklace? Could be more significant than I thought

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Aug 5 2013, 10:49am)

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 5 2013, 11:23am

Post #8 of 10 (365 views)
Shortcut
It happens to the best of us ;-) / [In reply to] Can't Post

Arandir
Gondor

Aug 5 2013, 6:53pm

Post #9 of 10 (321 views)
Shortcut
Girion [In reply to] Can't Post

Agree with the above posts that it is most probably that common archer from a different angle during the prologue.

I expect Girion to stand out more from the rest of the infantry-men, probably without helmet and/or uniform-clothing - much more like a "Bard-esque" (hmmm ... cool word there!) appearance ...

Interesting find though!Smile

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog

Cillendor
Lorien

Aug 6 2013, 5:59pm

Post #10 of 10 (133 views)
Shortcut
Helmet [In reply to] Can't Post

If that is Girion, you can see him running away a few seconds later. I'm guessing these two milisecond clips are part of a larger scene, similar to how you can see Bolg in the prologue because they cut almost all of him out.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.