Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Beorn's Servents?

Bombadil
Half-elven

Aug 4 2013, 5:40am

Post #1 of 17 (1274 views)
Shortcut
Beorn's Servents? Can't Post

THAT is gunna be tricky!
Dogs on their HindLegs?

REALLY?
What do you expect to see?

Bomby has No Clue...

emre43
Lorien

Aug 4 2013, 7:30am

Post #2 of 17 (619 views)
Shortcut
I am hoping that PJ just ignores this bit. This was the part of the book that I hated most. [In reply to] Can't Post

Yngwulff
Gondor

Aug 4 2013, 7:40am

Post #3 of 17 (614 views)
Shortcut
very possible [In reply to] Can't Post

ie bunny sleighs

and if GDT has any lasting influence (just look at pans Labrynth) there could be some doggie waiters and bovine busboys

“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 4 2013, 7:57am

Post #4 of 17 (611 views)
Shortcut
But I do want to see it [In reply to] Can't Post

The sheep with the dishes on their back.
All that hussling and bussling to get the table set.
For me one of the highlights of the fairy tale and such a lovely moment of happiness after the misery of the Goblin Caves and those nasty wargs forcing them up in the trees.

dormouse
Half-elven

Aug 4 2013, 8:28am

Post #5 of 17 (533 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd rather they found creative ways of showing what's in the book. Beorn's world is very special - a bit like Tom Bombadil's, really - a peaceful little haven where things grow and live, set in the middle of the wild.

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 4 2013, 10:14am

Post #6 of 17 (512 views)
Shortcut
I hope they are in the films, in some capacity anyway. [In reply to] Can't Post

And I agree with you and Rosie.

If they wanted to include them, but didn't want them to be Narnia-esque (which is why most/some people are put off), they could show Beorn's house with the different animals with Beorn saying they're his servants. Cut to another scene elsewhere. Then cut back to a dog placing a plate on a table (with his/her mouth) and walking (on all fours) away. They don't explicitly show everything, but at least we can presume the scene from the book happened (just not on screen). I think that would work well.

Smile

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Aug 4 2013, 10:15am)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Aug 4 2013, 11:04am

Post #7 of 17 (509 views)
Shortcut
Okay about the HUGE BEES?... [In reply to] Can't Post

In 3D should beee Crazy!

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Aug 4 2013, 5:53pm

Post #8 of 17 (344 views)
Shortcut
Yes Indeedy [In reply to] Can't Post

The giant bees should be too much of a visual stretch as the fell beasts the Nazgul road were the size of 747's or something. The coal black rams and the sheep as tea carts are possible as they can be shepherded. It's the dogs on hind legs that are an issue. I like the idea of the dogs carrying plates in there mouths. Perhaps PJ will make a nod to these thins without ever showing them.

Old Toby
Gondor

Aug 4 2013, 6:01pm

Post #9 of 17 (354 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, this I could handle [In reply to] Can't Post

but not the dogs walking on their hind legs carrying dishes thanks. I know, I know, it's in the book. I don't care. This I saw as very child-oriented in the book, and while it worked okay in the book from that perspective, I really don't want to see this in these films in particular.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Aug 4 2013, 7:27pm

Post #10 of 17 (332 views)
Shortcut
Agreed! especially if the ARE Male Dogs...? [In reply to] Can't Post

That WOULD Bump PJ's Film Rating
UP
...to NC-17?

(NO, NO..NOT THAT)
Bomby

Bombadil
Half-elven

Aug 4 2013, 8:40pm

Post #11 of 17 (303 views)
Shortcut
TDoS has.. Wonderful 3D Flyin' Thingies! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Huge Bees
which could Really be Buzzing our Heads?

2. Butterflys at the Top of the Oak Trees
of Mirkwood.

3. Spiders? Yes (Not really Flying)
but they may jump from Trees.

4. Smaug (of Course) His Flight is gunna KILL!

5. The Thrush & Ravens!

We may need an AirSick Bag,
Knowing PJ!

Bomby

malickfan
Gondor

Aug 4 2013, 9:04pm

Post #12 of 17 (325 views)
Shortcut
Hope this is in [In reply to] Can't Post

Beorn's house is possibly my fave chapter in the book, and I'm a huge fan of the more childlike Tone of the hobbit, it would be great to see PJ have a little more faifth in the story this time, and it would be a nice, last bit of whimsy as a counterweight to the encroaching darkness of the film.

As we get lots of Radagst's bird poo bunnnies and sled, Azog the fork monster, and Tauriel prancing around like a nijna I really don't see how a few quick shots of sentient animals adding a bit of humour is really so much to ask for.

The Talking Purse is Awesome, deal with it.

But he isn't quite as aweome as Cirdan.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Aug 4 2013, 10:27pm

Post #13 of 17 (264 views)
Shortcut
MAC you Win! "Azog, the Fork Monster" HaHahA!/// [In reply to] Can't Post

Yngwulff
Gondor

Aug 5 2013, 2:05am

Post #14 of 17 (240 views)
Shortcut
shish ka bob king [In reply to] Can't Post

aka Azog
Very popular at weenie roasts and marshmellow roasting nights by the fire

“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”

(This post was edited by Yngwulff on Aug 5 2013, 2:06am)

Cillendor
Lorien

Aug 6 2013, 8:40pm

Post #15 of 17 (93 views)
Shortcut
Radagast's bird poo [In reply to] Can't Post

is a nod to Merlin from a fiction book about King Arthur. I don't know if it fits older legends about him or just that story, but it's interesting that they designed him after Merlin since Tolkien left him very undescribed.

angelclaw
Bree

Aug 7 2013, 4:08am

Post #16 of 17 (77 views)
Shortcut
I for one [In reply to] Can't Post

Would not want to eat off a plate a dog had carried in its mouth. But if you're starving in Middle Earth I suppose those kinds of standards go out the window Wink

I think the dogs and sheep are going to be left out entirely. We might get giant bees, but I will be very surprised if any others of Beorn's servants make an appearance.

Noria
Rohan

Aug 7 2013, 12:12pm

Post #17 of 17 (73 views)
Shortcut
I too would be surprised if Beorn’s servants are in DoS [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it would be hard to make the concept work without it looking silly, just like the talking purse. Animals walking on their hind legs with plates in their front paws or hooves could well be ridiculous while having them carry dishes in their mouths would be yucky. (I say that as an animal lover and long-time pet owner.)

The first time I saw AUJ I missed the “realism” of LotR, but I've come to believe that approach was meant to be a nod to Tolkien’s The Hobbit. PJ has said that that time is over, that DoS and TaBA will be darker, so it seems to me unlikely that he will take a step back into the fairy tale or cartoon-like tone depending on your point of view.

But if Peter Jackson has a way to make it work, that’s great! I’ll be glad to see it. If the animal servants don’t appear, it won’t bother me either.

The giant bees would be cooler and easier to do, but whatever.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.