Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
More on anime

Sandicomm
Bree

Mar 3 2007, 3:42am

Views: 113
Shortcut
More on anime [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, FF, I agree. I also think that an animated LOTR would be stunning. (I always imagined Treebeard to look a little like the Forest Spirit from Princess Mononoke.)

Another thing that I noticed that's interesting is how often the hobbits are drawn in chibi/ SD ("Superdeformed") style*.

Chibi

More Chibi

Are you not dying from the cuteness yet?

Chibi form is usually reserved for characters who are drawn "normally", but then go into chibi form when they feel great emotion (either really happy or really mad) to make it cute. Some characters, like Chibi Chibi (the second image) are meant to be in chibi form all the time because that's just how they're drawn.

In the movie thread, someone--either Curious or Beren IV--said that he liked how the hobbits were portrayed in the movies--i.e., looking like people and not grotesque humanoids. Hobbits lend themselves extremely well to the chibi form, but it also makes them into caricatures.

*I don't know what the correct usage is anymore. I think SD is preferred because chibi is a derogative term in Japanese, like the English midget.

Subject User Time
Tolkien Illustrated: Fan Art IIII--Anime Style Sandicomm Send a private message to Sandicomm Mar 2 2007, 3:17am
    I love Frodo Speed Racer! drogo Send a private message to drogo Mar 2 2007, 4:58am
    Lots to reply to here Beren IV Send a private message to Beren IV Mar 2 2007, 6:03am
    fantastic journey through a parallel universe Daughter of Nienna Send a private message to Daughter of Nienna Mar 2 2007, 8:48am
        Ooops! Sandicomm Send a private message to Sandicomm Mar 2 2007, 4:00pm
            It never occurred to me that that was Gollum Morwen Send a private message to Morwen Mar 2 2007, 4:33pm
                Which makes sense, since Sam is a Harfoot. Curious Send a private message to Curious Mar 2 2007, 5:29pm
            Are you sure FarFromHome Send a private message to FarFromHome Mar 2 2007, 5:50pm
                A hot Frodo? White Gull Send a private message to White Gull Mar 2 2007, 7:23pm
                Last time I checked, Sandicomm Send a private message to Sandicomm Mar 2 2007, 11:24pm
            A question White Gull Send a private message to White Gull Mar 2 2007, 7:21pm
    Southeastern? Anime is a broad term for any Japanese animation. Curious Send a private message to Curious Mar 2 2007, 6:40pm
    I've never been a fan of anime White Gull Send a private message to White Gull Mar 2 2007, 7:27pm
    Darkmage's "Summer Day" is one of the best. Ever. dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Mar 2 2007, 8:20pm
    Hobbit Barbershop Finding Frodo Send a private message to Finding Frodo Mar 3 2007, 3:16am
    More on anime Sandicomm Send a private message to Sandicomm Mar 3 2007, 3:42am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.