Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Additional/Extended Scenes
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Aug 4 2013, 3:25pm

Post #51 of 55 (421 views)
Shortcut
yep [In reply to] Can't Post

The problem with King Kong was pacing. It plodded far too much in the initial parts of the film. When they got King Kong finally, the boat scene was great and back to NY was great. It just took too long to get it moving. And as you said, the casting in my opinion was sub par as well.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Elfhelm
The Shire

Aug 4 2013, 5:56pm

Post #52 of 55 (400 views)
Shortcut
This. [In reply to] Can't Post

Well put, I agree completely.

King Kong was recently on tv here (I don't really remember much about KK, so meant to watch it, but forgot) and the movie description/review in the paper made the same observation as you about PJ's style: remarks such as "Small has to be big, because you can" & "One tyrannosaur is not enough, when you can have three" illustrated well where he goes astray. For him more is truly more. Also related is the way overuses heights as a danger element, e.g. in AUJ we have a (literal) cliffhanger moment with the stone giants; later the menace of the wargs below wasn't enough, but the trees also had to be on a mountain ledge with people again almost falling off down into the abyss; in LOTR Saruman confronted Gandalf & co. from the top of Isengard, because it'll be so much cooler when he falls down from there rather than only from the (reasonable-to-have-a-conversation-from-) balcony below (I'm of course only guessing his reasoning here, but given his style it seems plausible); etc.

Now PJ is obviously a big fan of Tolkien's work and it's great that he's made/making these movies a reality, and on the whole I do really like what he's done with LOTR/Hobbit. Someone once aptly said that "he can get some things SO right (in these movies), yet blunders elsewhere", which is just frustrating as we want these films to be perfect. Then again there's no one way to make them perfect for everyone, what we get is PJ's perfect version.

dormouse
Half-elven

Aug 4 2013, 10:31pm

Post #53 of 55 (360 views)
Shortcut
There was a problem?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Funny thing about King Kong. I had zero interest in it. Didn't follow the news about it when it was being made, didn't go to watch it. Really not my sort of story.

Then it was on TV over Christmas a couple of years ago, when my brother and nephew were staying and they put it on. I was really drawn in and thoroughly enjoyed it. Leads me to believe that Peter Jackson is a very good storyteller, if he can even interest me in something that doesn't interest me.

Elizabeth
Valinor

Aug 5 2013, 3:27am

Post #54 of 55 (344 views)
Shortcut
It was too long in the theatrical version. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't care if the physics works out (it still looks cartoonish), it was silly mahem with no plot advancement. A fight of half that length would have served.

Cillendor
Lorien

Aug 6 2013, 8:22pm

Post #55 of 55 (225 views)
Shortcut
I really hope we'll see [In reply to] Can't Post

Durin's Bane pop up in the Battle of Azanulbizar. Perhaps a Dwarf could chase after Azog but then see the Balrog and turn tail. It'd help establish that this is the same place as from FOTR because that's really hard to tell otherwise. Balin says it was Moria, but there are so many place names that some viewers might not remember what Moria is unless they see him.

(This post was edited by Cillendor on Aug 6 2013, 8:23pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.