Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Anybody else wish the Blu-rays looked something more like this? -

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 1 2013, 4:12pm

Post #1 of 21 (2131 views)
Shortcut
Anybody else wish the Blu-rays looked something more like this? - Can't Post

It's a pretty messy Paint job, but I don't have Photoshop:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/...N51qeueh2o1_1280.png

I kept them as consistent as I could without photoshopping anything. What do you think? Spark any thoughts for debate?

Arandir
Gondor

Aug 1 2013, 4:40pm

Post #2 of 21 (882 views)
Shortcut
Hear! Hear! [In reply to] Can't Post

Those look fantastic! Wish they had done something similar - especially for the standard DVD box set with the plain maroon background as in your picture - WB would waste less colour for printing these boxes (thus reducing costs, and doing us a huge favour)!Laugh

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog

Eldorion
Rohan

Aug 1 2013, 5:20pm

Post #3 of 21 (805 views)
Shortcut
Looks fantastic! [In reply to] Can't Post

And if that's a "messy paint job" but your standards, then I'm jealous. I've had GIMP for a couple of years but I can only use it at a rudimentary level. Tongue

There's a feeling I get, when I look to the West...

TheHutt
Gondor

Aug 1 2013, 5:31pm

Post #4 of 21 (871 views)
Shortcut
Not really... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't really like the 2D SEE BluRay design. Looks to photoshoppy to me.

Russian LOTR & Hobbit Site: Henneth-Annun.ru

Bombadil
Half-elven

Aug 1 2013, 5:47pm

Post #5 of 21 (781 views)
Shortcut
QT...That's Great!...Now get Gimp 2.8 [In reply to] Can't Post

Basically PShop, BUT FREE!

Bomby got tired of Adobe's Prices!

Nira
Lorien

Aug 1 2013, 6:28pm

Post #6 of 21 (720 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

I especially like how the box matches the LOTR set. Looks like a future art project.

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

jtarkey
Rohan

Aug 1 2013, 7:10pm

Post #7 of 21 (683 views)
Shortcut
That's Excellent!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I really wish there was a little more continuity in these releases, and that cover is more of what I was expecting in the first place.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 1 2013, 8:03pm

Post #8 of 21 (663 views)
Shortcut
I really like it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I always wanted a poster that looked more like the LotR ones. And I think this one's great. I don't like Gollum's expression, though

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 1 2013, 8:07pm

Post #9 of 21 (637 views)
Shortcut
Excellent! Much appreciated, Bomby! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's gonna be really useful, I'm always needing to edit pics and Paint just doesn't cut it. Thang you very buch :)

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 1 2013, 8:10pm

Post #10 of 21 (679 views)
Shortcut
I think, if they had released them all in continuity like this... [In reply to] Can't Post

Then people wouldn't be motivated to buy future editions, because they'd see their collection as "complete". I'm sure after all three hobbit films are out they'll re-release Lord of the Rings in cases that match the new Hobbit ones.

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 1 2013, 8:21pm

Post #11 of 21 (641 views)
Shortcut
At least creepy Bilbo hasn't been used! ;-) / [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't like Gollum's expression, though

The first TORn Amateur Symposium starts this week in the Reading Room! Come and join in!

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 1 2013, 8:24pm

Post #12 of 21 (653 views)
Shortcut
I'm gonna test my new photo editing software by creating the worst poster [In reply to] Can't Post

Use creepy Bilbo, this weird Gollum and have Radagast as the main feature.

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Aug 1 2013, 8:36pm

Post #13 of 21 (596 views)
Shortcut
Good luck! [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh

Really pretty, though! If only fans could design what they would like to buy... Of course, this is coming from a person who can't even figure out Paint half the time and gets 'crop' and 'cut' mixed up and accidentally deletes things... oops.

Is it just me, or does Elrond on the cover look like Figwit/Lindir?? I had to look close to make sure it was Elrond.

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Bombadil
Half-elven

Aug 1 2013, 8:53pm

Post #14 of 21 (602 views)
Shortcut
QT>>>Bomby can't Wait until you "GIMP" THAT! [In reply to] Can't Post

Must have paid Adobe $1600 in the late 1990's
Only to find out about Gimp
which comes from OpenSource Linex
Dudes,
http://www.gimp.org
Online Tutorials, Filters, Toolbox etc.

Going to New Orleans to sell ARTWORK
Labor Day Weekend.
Retired from business
Now, Doin' my Bucket List!
Wish Bomby LUCK!

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Aug 1 2013, 8:54pm)

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Aug 1 2013, 8:55pm

Post #15 of 21 (580 views)
Shortcut
Good luck! [In reply to] Can't Post

Viel Gluck! Smile And similar sentiments in all the other languages I plan to learn one day...

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

namarie
Rohan

Aug 1 2013, 8:58pm

Post #16 of 21 (577 views)
Shortcut
yep [In reply to] Can't Post

I want to have consistency between the LOTR EE and the Hobbit EE

"The world is not in your books and maps. It's out there!"

"Such is the nature of evil. In time all foul things come forth."

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Aug 1 2013, 10:20pm

Post #17 of 21 (602 views)
Shortcut
I think it will progressively come more in line with the Rings covers. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it may be deliberate that An Unexpected starts off very straight forward, with solid images of the principal players, a catalyzing Wizard, a hobbit, and thirteen dwarves, and with no ehtheral images of important secondary characters.

I think it likely that the subsequent packaging will be different, with the central fifteen featured solidly, but with surrounding imagery of Smaug, the members of The Council, Thranduil etc.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

angelclaw
Bree

Aug 2 2013, 2:41am

Post #18 of 21 (469 views)
Shortcut
Photoshop CS2 [In reply to] Can't Post

Is freeware now. Crazy

I actually bought it when it came out, then recently my computer crashed and I couldn't find the CD when I went to reinstall. I was going to just to download the trial and then try to find some record of my serial number before it expired when I discovered that, yup, it's freeware, the real deal, not a "nerfed" version or anything. Despite minor irritation at having paid for for something I could've waited (many years) to get for free, my opinion of Adobe went up several notches after that!

I wish you all the luck on your upcoming venture! What kind of artwork do you sell, if I may ask?

Bombadil
Half-elven

Aug 2 2013, 1:17pm

Post #19 of 21 (347 views)
Shortcut
Bomby's Artwork is Nothing Related to Tolkien... [In reply to] Can't Post

soo.. That would be Off-Topic
But THKS for asking.
Some day Bomby will have it up on DeviantART
but pushing my "Printer to it's Limits" right Now.

Bomby

Marionette
Rohan

Aug 2 2013, 8:32pm

Post #20 of 21 (285 views)
Shortcut
Not really [In reply to] Can't Post

I am happy with the cover, the one with Thorin in it (Because I see there are other design, I am confused now).
But that one is just perfect

"Dear friend good bye, no tears in my eyes. So sad it ends, as it began"
Queen

RangerLady23
Lorien

Aug 3 2013, 4:36pm

Post #21 of 21 (204 views)
Shortcut
Oh, totally! [In reply to] Can't Post

That looks super awesome and I wish they had done that. I remember telling my mother that I hoped they didn't just do the solo pic of Bilbo because even though it is "The Hobbit" it's Gandalf that gets him started, Thorin that pushes him to something he didn't realize he had and all the other dwarves supporting him. Plus the help from Elrond, so it should have included everybody like the Lord of the Rings did.
Great job on the artwork!!!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.