Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: TORn Moots and Other Events:
Mini-moot at the Renaissance Faire in Tuxedo Park, NY!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 1 2013, 12:10am

Post #1 of 20 (668 views)
Shortcut
Mini-moot at the Renaissance Faire in Tuxedo Park, NY! Can't Post

The annual Renaissance Faire in southern New York state will be starting soon, and a date has been set, if anyone would like to meet there for a mini moot!

Silneldor, Ethel Duath, Maciliel, and I (and Brethil, if she's able to!) plan to attend on Saturday, August 10th, with family members in tow. Who would like to join up with us? Smile (Now that a date is set, I'll be sending messages to some TORnfolks who aren't regularly on the Boards these days, but who have come in the past.)

We like to get together around 8:00 or 9:00 in the morning at a family restaurant not too far from "The Shire" to enjoy a hearty breakfast, then follow one another to the Faire.

Costumes optional! Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

silneldor
Half-elven

Aug 1 2013, 2:03am

Post #2 of 20 (579 views)
Shortcut
Look d, they have an ent! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here near the bottom but we will be a week late to this single weekend happening. We will still find new things i'll wager, having missed last year. There are so many things to see, hear and, smellSmile

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

Lissuin
Valinor

Aug 1 2013, 5:47am

Post #3 of 20 (701 views)
Shortcut
Ooooh, that does look like fun! [In reply to] Can't Post

Have a great time together, all!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Aug 1 2013, 9:45pm

Post #4 of 20 (545 views)
Shortcut
Have fun storming the castle! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like a great time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 2 2013, 12:18am

Post #5 of 20 (565 views)
Shortcut
So... [In reply to] Can't Post

...when are you and Uncle Baggins going to come East, and enjoy the Sea! (And the Nathan Hale sites, all over the place here!)

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Aug 2 2013, 3:40pm

Post #6 of 20 (552 views)
Shortcut
I'll be in New Mexico then. Drat! [In reply to] Can't Post

Have fun, everyone!

(This post was edited by L. Ron Halfelven on Aug 2 2013, 3:41pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 3 2013, 3:27am

Post #7 of 20 (528 views)
Shortcut
Maybe you could take a left at Albuquerque [In reply to] Can't Post

Too bad there's no shortcuts between the states! Laugh

We'll miss you there! Do you know if greendragon is in the area?

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Aug 3 2013, 12:43pm

Post #8 of 20 (504 views)
Shortcut
She's back in the States on the 21st, if I remember aright.// [In reply to] Can't Post

silneldor
Half-elven

Aug 3 2013, 1:14pm

Post #9 of 20 (513 views)
Shortcut
Nuts! [In reply to] Can't Post

What are you doin' o'er there anywho? Chasing bats in Carlsbad Caverns?...or hang gliding over the Sandia Crest? Laugh.....I could stand to be over there myself come to think of it.
Have a ball L. Ron:)

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 3 2013, 6:43pm

Post #10 of 20 (628 views)
Shortcut
Opposite end of the state from us... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think that we will be attending. To those who do make it: Enjoy!

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 7 2013, 5:00pm

Post #11 of 20 (481 views)
Shortcut
Here's hoping you all have a WONDERFUL time! [In reply to] Can't Post

And safe trips to all!!!! AngelicAngelicAngelic Crossing my fingers for you for perfect weather as well!

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

silneldor
Half-elven

Aug 9 2013, 3:16am

Post #12 of 20 (485 views)
Shortcut
We will miss meeting you. [In reply to] Can't Post

And thank you:). Perhaps next year you will be able to join in the fun with us.

— J.R.R. Tolkien

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 9 2013, 10:50am

Post #13 of 20 (477 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Have you ever been to it?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 9 2013, 11:35am

Post #14 of 20 (532 views)
Shortcut
Never been to that one... [In reply to] Can't Post

We have semi-regularly visited the Sterling Renaissance Fair in upstate NY, but we haven't been to any others.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

silneldor
Half-elven

Aug 13 2013, 12:57am

Post #15 of 20 (472 views)
Shortcut
A little information regarding what occurred. [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, there was some mooting fun here this weekend. We had decided to meet at the pond Friday and caravan up to the Renfaire the next morning. Dernwyn, Mr.derwyn and then Ethel Duath arrived about mid-day and we settled in on the porch to start getting better acquainted and up to date with things.
Due to real life circumstances, Brethil, smeagirl and Maciliel could not make it although Smeagirl made it to the faire from the city via bus. Actually, she beat us there this year which was a first . It was so delightful that morning, being clear and bright it was hard to get a-goin’

Well, Friday afternoon we settled out on the dock to catch the breezes and a bit of sun, as that was about as much of that there was. But Ethyl Duath and I swam to the raft and clum’ atop it and had the warmth of the sun for awhile as fortune had it. This was my office I told her. Some of my best thinking was done there, what thinking I could stir up that is.

We swan back and I was able to improve a facet of her stoke which helped a bit with efficiency and relaxation. I love to be able to do this for friends. It is always delight from both ends.

A thunderstorm came over the mountain about then and left a lively squall. But with such opens the opportunity to find this which arced across the sky and pond.

We had a lovely supper after that under the umbrella on the deck having the rain ceasing. Dernwyn and mrs. sil went ‘to town’ creating turkey chili and nacho’s and a goodly salad with chocolate cake glutten-free and little squares of cheese cake to go with it.

At dusk we retired to the porch again and talked til everyone started to imitate, Winikin’- Blinkin’ and Nod and off we went to our flets.

So that bright Sunday morning we had scrambled eggs, turkey bacon, toast and coffee and ruminated about staying but we had a faire to hit. We laughed at our cat scooter suddenly cautious of a new entity here-abouts. It were just our happy frog relocated to the railing by us. Here are a couple of shots of us horsin’ around. This one of mr. dernwyn has the caption of, ‘You want me to what on one ski right after breakfast? Here is our Ethel Duath getting ready for the boat ride out.

We did meet smeagirl inside the gate and later found Misty Mountain working in a milkshake booth and we all talked a short bit to not block up the operation of everything there. It was good to see her. I did not get a picture and that irks me. She does look well which I am glad for and she does want to go back up there one day and try again.

We then settled at a picnic table under a ‘tree’ for lunch and get a 2nd wind. Here is a shot of us besides Fimbrethil or Wandlimb the Light-footed who of course was Treebeard’s wife and the ‘’apple’ of his eye. And all the time right here on the Faire grounds hiding in plain sight too. We saw the bird’s of prey with a hawk, an owl and a black vulture and then a small group of players with drums, flute and a bagpipe.

About that time mrs. sil and I went to hit a stand for coffee. We delighted to find one right off labeled ‘Espresso’ and I new it was going to be good. Right there we saw a couple with their young daughter. Now there are many of the young folk painted up there at a booth or two to celebrate the faire and their daughter was one of them. But i was very touched by the loveliness of her, bless her heart, and I asked them if I could take her picture. So with permission here she is.

So then it was to ‘set stakes’ on a spot for all of us down to the joust. Mrs. sil and I were too late for a row in the stands but we got a spot on the low wall right in front. So when the rest of us wandered down, this is us ready for the big E-vent. Here are two shots of the opening pageantry. The young woman (foreground)in the first shot was the one to take our picture, which she offered to do seeing me standing with camera looking for assistance.

Here is a wonderful shot of a very tall young woman with very long hair in full period costume, ‘on duty’ in front of us for crowd control . She is just so impressive I thought you would think so as well.
And finally here are three more shots of the ceremony surrounding the queen, the knights and some of her entourage.

It was time for Smeagirl to catch her bus then and I walked her to the gate and a little afterward, we sauntered out taking our time and we all eventually arrived at our cars at the lower parking lot and said our good-byes. We had a fun time and I was grateful to spent it with such good people. May it happen again.

— J.R.R. Tolkien

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Aug 13 2013, 1:15am

Post #16 of 20 (477 views)
Shortcut
Waaahh! I can't see the pics [In reply to] Can't Post

because photobucket refses to display any actual photos when I go there on my computer. (I can, however, see Flicker and most of the other photo sharing sites.)

But I did have the time of my life, crutches and all!

Thanks so much to you and Mrs. Sil!!SmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmile

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 20 2013, 1:38am

Post #17 of 20 (509 views)
Shortcut
You forgot to mention... [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

You do have some fun writing up these reports, sil! Laugh Thank you! And I think you covered everything except...well, how could you not resist, when the tradesman plied his wares, noting how perfectly they would go with your T-shirt? I hope these "dragon ears" show up well enough in the pic...Angelic

silneldor
Half-elven

Aug 21 2013, 1:21am

Post #18 of 20 (447 views)
Shortcut
It is my nasty dragon look [In reply to] Can't Post

Terrrrifing is meEvil, 'cept i am laughing as well.

One thing i noticed is, that i did not have to say, "what?" as often. Cheap hearing aids they turned out to be.

Thanks d:).

— J.R.R. Tolkien

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 21 2013, 2:25am

Post #19 of 20 (462 views)
Shortcut
I love this pic Dernwyn! And Sil! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 21 2013, 6:36pm

Post #20 of 20 (467 views)
Shortcut
Awesome [In reply to] Can't Post

Some fierce dragon ears those are!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.